What are you playing?

Meltdown Tracker

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freaking awesome, Nintendo has announced that they plan to release a 2D mario platformer for the 3DS within the next fiscal year.  This would be the first true 2D Mario side scroller since Super Mario World on the SNES.  The fact that nintendo plans to do this, gives me hope that we'll still see some classic 2D Zelda titles like on the SNES, GBC and GBA again (Four Swords Adventures on the Gamecube would also be a great indication of this).

Anyway, I'm glad that the 2D genre isn't dead anymore.  It definitely was for a solid decade when the PSone and N64 first arrived. 

What about New Super Mario Bros for both Wii/DS?  Those were 3D sprites in a 2D world, pretty much the same thing.

Those are considered 2.5D platformers.  While you're right they are very similar to the oldschool Marios, they're also not quite the same.  The physics are different and the levels lack a lot of the exploration that Mario 3 and Mario World seemed to encourage.  (And I'm aware that Yoshi's Island is technically Mario World 2, but thats not really what one would consider a Mario platformer, afterall, the sequel to Yoshi's Island on the DS dropped the Mario World title.)  I guess I did neglect to mention the GB Mario Lands, Mario Land 2 did come out after Mario World.  Again though, even though Wario Land (1) has the pretitle of Mario Land 3, it too was not a Mario game and had sequels without the Mario Land title.

For me the best pokemon generation was Gold/Silver/Crystal (does anyone else think they made a big mistake by making the third iteration of this generation Crystal instead of Platinum?  The Pokemon Crystal and Platinum titles should be swapped.).  So SoulSilver and HeartGold are for me the greatest pokemon games.  Black and White come in at a very close second though.  Then Red/Blue/Yellow and Red and Green's GBA remakes, followed by Pearl/Diamond/Platinum, and finally Ruby/Saphire/Emerald (Emerald was definitely the best of that generation, but the GBA generation was definitely the weakest for me, in fact it totally turned me off of pokemon for a bunch of years, was happy to return though when I did).

Dude, mike, i've had too many thoughts about that ^. just the other day i brought it up to a friend, and he'd never thought about it. that has pissed me off for many years.

I seriously don't understand the thinking, "We've got Pokemon Gold and Silver, and we're going to add the third title with a little more content, what should we call a Pokemon game that goes along with Gold and Silver?  Hmm...  Crystal of course!  Platinum?  What the fuck is that?  Fuck you, you're fired." 

I imagine it was something like that.

caved and got the old republic, leveling a sith marauder being a cunt to everyone...love it.

besides that umm this week i played;

RE: Revelations

Rayman Origins

Lego Harry potter 1-4

Dota 2

Old Republic

Team Fortress 2.

believe it or not it was a slow week