Imagine where blink could have been by now...

Jakes182

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the other day, Mark said in the infamous tell all interview that disagreements at the end of blink had to deal with (among other things) the greatest hits album.  What do you think they could have been?  I was starting to wonder, maybe they had the intention of rerecording all the hits like some artists do for those types of albums (can you imagine a present day version of carousel?).  To me this makes sense because Tom wanted to take a break, while Mark and Travis were ready to keep working on blink.  The only other disagreement I can think of would be what songs were going to be on the greatest hits album, maybe one of them wanted to do more of a best of album, while the other wanted to do all the singles that got them where they were.

Anyway, the point I post this here is, if Greatest Hits had been rerecordings of all those songs, I think that would have been really badass.

I don't remember that. I'm pretty sure the GH only came out after the break up to squeeze a little bit more out of blink. On loveline mark didn't even know what video footage would be included and had to ask his manager.

No, greatest hits was going to happen no matter what, I'll go find the interview, it was actually a part of the disagreements in the band at the end, I def remember Mark saying that.

heres the article: http://web.archive.org/web/20060901221936/www.b182.com/askmark1.php

here's the question and quote from Mark:

start of the 6th paragraph after this question:

8. The circumstances of Blink's "indefinite hiatus" are still steeped in rumors. Tom has addressed the issue vaguely in some interviews. Could you give us your side of the story and explain exactly what happened, how it happened, and why? It must have been a pretty big deal for the band to have skipped out last minute at the Tsunami Benefit show.

... "At one of the rehearsals, we started talking arguing about our forced break, the greatest hits record, and the possibility of recording the next album. Tom said on the next blink-182 album, he would ONLY record at his house in San Diego. He would not come to Los Angeles. He wouldn’t travel anywhere for the recording. He wanted me and Travis to record our parts up in Los Angeles as we wanted to, then send him the pro tools files down to San Diego for him to work on there. Mind you, on the last blink record, Travis drove down every day from Los Angeles to the studio in San Diego to record his parts. But Tom wasn’t leaving his house. This was the point our band was at."

So greatest hits was going to happen even while they were together.

Hmmm well Its impossible to know but considering blink plays almost nothing pre enema and that carousel originally wasn't gonna be on the GH it was probably more like arguing about recording a new song for it or a possible GH promoting tour

true, but its not like Carousel was the only song that would be rerecorded, all the hits could have been fair game, sure the new songs might not have needed it (though they could have used the James Guthrie remix of I Miss You instead and the TLA arrangement of Down), but they could still have done all the old ones, and if when they mentioned the playlist and again it didn't have Carousel maybe the backlash would have again had them include it, but of course in that example they'd have rerecorded that song as well.

A new song is also a likely thought.  GH promoting tour probably wasn't really a thought as they were to be concentrating on the tour to support Always that never happened.

8. The circumstances of Blink's "indefinite hiatus" are still steeped in rumors. Tom has addressed the issue vaguely in some interviews. Could you give us your side of the story and explain exactly what happened, how it happened, and why? It must have been a pretty big deal for the band to have skipped out last minute at the Tsunami Benefit show.

... "At one of the rehearsals, we started talking arguing about our forced break, the greatest hits record, and the possibility of recording the next album. Tom said on the next blink-182 album, he would ONLY record at his house in San Diego. He would not come to Los Angeles. He wouldn’t travel anywhere for the recording. He wanted me and Travis to record our parts up in Los Angeles as we wanted to, then send him the pro tools files down to San Diego for him to work on there. Mind you, on the last blink record, Travis drove down every day from Los Angeles to the studio in San Diego to record his parts. But Tom wasn’t leaving his house. This was the point our band was at."

lol.. maybe if there hadnt been the tsunami -> no tsunami rehearsal -> no arguing -> possibly no split ;)

first time this came to my mind

Hmmm well Its impossible to know but considering blink plays almost nothing pre enema and that carousel originally wasn't gonna be on the GH it was probably more like arguing about recording a new song for it or a possible GH promoting tour

true, but its not like Carousel was the only song that would be rerecorded, all the hits could have been fair game, sure the new songs might not have needed it (though they could have used the James Guthrie remix of I Miss You instead and the TLA arrangement of Down), but they could still have done all the old ones, and if when they mentioned the playlist and again it didn't have Carousel maybe the backlash would have again had them include it, but of course in that example they'd have rerecorded that song as well.

A new song is also a likely thought.  GH promoting tour probably wasn't really a thought as they were to be concentrating on the tour to support Always that never happened.

honestly I don't think the rerecordings would sound good. W.out carousel they would only have done m+m's dammit and Josie. 3 songs are kinda pointless to rerecord IMO.

lol.. maybe if there hadnt been the tsunami -> no tsunami rehearsal -> no arguing -> possibly no split ;)

first time this came to my mind

Incorrect.

They were gonna talk about recording a new album eventually, so it would've happened whatsoever.

I mean, they could've talked at any rehearsel or at any restaurant over dinner or something like that.

honestly I don't think the rerecordings would sound good. W.out carousel they would only have done m+m's dammit and Josie. 3 songs are kinda pointless to rerecord IMO.

says who?  Just cuz another member said theres no point in doing Enema or later?  Look at MXPX's greatest hits album, they rerecorded everything, and even though some songs were hardly any different they were still different so it still made for an interesting listen.  They could have made little changes to some of the rerecordings.  (i.e. have Mark sing a Tom part or vise versa, extra effects, etc.)  Obviously there is no way to know what their thoughts were, but I think that you cant dismiss this possibility. 

And actually if it was only 3 to 4 songs to rerecord, that would make a lot of sense, since Tom wanted to be on break, and Mark could have been saying, just rerecord 3 or 4 songs man, it'll take no time.  Thus fueling more of the arguing that was mentioned in that interview in regard to Greatest Hits.

says who?  Just cuz another member said theres no point in doing Enema or later?  Look at MXPX's greatest hits album, they rerecorded everything, and even though some songs were hardly any different they were still different so it still made for an interesting listen.  They could have made little changes to some of the rerecordings.  (i.e. have Mark sing a Tom part or vise versa, extra effects, etc.)  Obviously there is no way to know what their thoughts were, but I think that you cant dismiss this possibility. 

And actually if it was only 3 to 4 songs to rerecord, that would make a lot of sense, since Tom wanted to be on break, and Mark could have been saying, just rerecord 3 or 4 songs man, it'll take no time.  Thus fueling more of the arguing that was mentioned in that interview in regard to Greatest Hits.

generally bands only rerecord older songs. Also blink practically acts like they didn't exist before enema. Considering they were burnt out, why would they rerecord songs? I doubt anyone but hardcore fans would want to hear the rerecordings, especially because they would most likely rerecord the lesser known songs.