The Pokemon General Discussion Topic

M!ke

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything Pokemon made my fucking childhood. These controversies are BS.

BTW, Squirtle, Charmaner, Charizard and Bulbasaur were my all time favorites.

yes... I totally pointed that out in the first page, you're missing the point of this topic, to quote myself from earlier:

"I'd say the toys that killed two children and the seizure episode aren't bullshit.  But the other stuff pretty much is bullshit.  BUT, I still find it interesting, how when something becomes huge that originated from a foreign country can scare the parents of the children buying into the fad all over the world."

If anything Pokemon made my fucking childhood. These controversies are BS.

BTW, Squirtle, Charmaner, Charizard and Bulbasaur were my all time favorites.

yes... I totally pointed that out in the first page, you're missing the point of this topic, to quote myself from earlier:

"I'd say the toys that killed two children and the seizure episode aren't bullshit.  But the other stuff pretty much is bullshit.  BUT, I still find it interesting, how when something becomes huge that originated from a foreign country can scare the parents of the children buying into the fad all over the world."

No dude I wasn't trying to say that you said they weren't BS, I was just saying that I thought they were BS. I didn't mean to offend you.

Apparently the trading card game was the source of many instances of violence among children in the late 90s/early 00's, in fact according to this site, http://crystal-islands.com/pokemon/timeline.php in June 2000, An argument over Pokemon cards leads to the murder of a twelve-year-old boy.  And in June 2002, a boy is found hanged after his teacher took his Pokemon cards.

Also, apparently 2 different children have jumped off of balconies (age 4 and 7) believing they had the powers of their favorite flying pokemon.  Being that one of the incidents took place in Turkey, the countries govt. put a ban on the tv show.  More here http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2000/dec/13/pokemon_banned_in/

And, some pokemon valentines candy was found with razor blades in them, though this was noticed before ever being eaten.  http://kotaku.com/356511/pokemon-valentines-now-with-razor-blades

Another pokemon toy was also responsible for a child's death: "On JANUARY 30th 1999, seven year-old Robert J. Brazier passed away when the "POKEMON POWER BOUNCER" he was playing with became lodged in his throat.  Despite the valiant efforts of his family, neighbors, EMTs, the Fire Department and emergency room doctors and staff, the Pokemon Power Bouncer could not be dislodged because of its size and consistency.  Robbie suffered a slow, painful and agonizing death." Apparently he was trying to get the Mewtwo out of the bouncy ball by biting into it, but he choked and slowly died.

man original Pokemon used to be so amazing. it blew so hard when they started adding new Pokemon and adding new characters. it got to "oriental" (i dont know a better word to use haha)

I think the second generation introduce in Gold and Silver featured most pokemon as great as the original.  But once the GBA games came out with more new ones and the DS with even more new ones, it lost something.

Yeah, I've been playing Pearl the past few weeks to get into Silver/Gold's re-releases and finally defeated the elite four. The orginal 151 pokemon were better because most of them were based on actual animals. Most of the ones nowadays don't favor that and look like strange beasts. I dunno, they just seem really off. They don't match the original in my eyes.

The original games (r/b/y) were amazing. There was such mystery to them. They were addictive and exciting. Maybe it's because I'm not 12 anymore, but I can never get the same highs I used to playing them. I got Pokemon blue on easter of 99. I eventually got all 150 without cheating. I didn't know about the mew glitch until years later like everybody else. But I can't describe how happy I was to defeat Brock for the first time with my butterfree, charmander, ratata, and pidgey team. The sense of accomplishment was astounding.

I still have all my pokemon cards too. 

Guest THillingworth

Getting that new pokemon gold tomorrow cant wait!

Im so glad i have an R4 and a DS aswell, having pokemon blue, yellow, gold, crystal and trading card game on there is the best!