Blink-182 Collectors Thread

monkey_boy182

13 minutes ago, justastupidkid said:

My bad, I've never been much of a collector so I don't come through this thread often. I saw the post above mine for the neighborhood vinyl and thought it wasn't out of place.

Is there anywhere more appropriate?

Hmmm, good question. I thought there was a section for stuff like that on here, but since I've never tried or cared about buying or selling anything on the boards I guess I haven't paid much attention. After a quick look around, I can't find any sections or threads for that sort of thing. I guess the closest thing might be the Free For All section which literally says "Anything that does not belong in the other sections goes here." But people probably won't take kindly to it because there are members who join the boards just to sell their stuff and it pretty much gets on everyone's nerves.

Maybe @Aria or @Dean can provide a better answer. Is there any section or thread on the boards for members to buy/sell stuff?

So this is a long shot, but i'm going to give it a try anyway,

I'm looking for an authentic original Buddha demo tape, with the insert! I was a huge fan of Blink 182 in my early teens, had a fairly large collection that i sold 7 years ago due to lost interest in the band. I haven't listened to them in probably 8 years or more! Well i dug out my old vinyl records last week and listened to Cheshire Cat & Short Bus and got nostalgic, i have been listening to the old stuff non-stop lately. The Buddha tape was the only thing i never had (never even bothered getting the Flyswatter tape) so i decided i was going to try and get my hands on one. I figured this might be the place to score one, let me know if you have one you might want to part with!

/ Fredrik

1 hour ago, Fred_182 said:

So this is a long shot, but i'm going to give it a try anyway,

I'm looking for an authentic original Buddha demo tape, with the insert! I was a huge fan of Blink 182 in my early teens, had a fairly large collection that i sold 7 years ago due to lost interest in the band. I haven't listened to them in probably 8 years or more! Well i dug out my old vinyl records last week and listened to Cheshire Cat & Short Bus and got nostalgic, i have been listening to the old stuff non-stop lately. The Buddha tape was the only thing i never had (never even bothered getting the Flyswatter tape) so i decided i was going to try and get my hands on one. I figured this might be the place to score one, let me know if you have one you might want to part with!

/ Fredrik

i highly doubt you'll find one for sale here. they turn up on ebay every few years. one is listed for sale on discogs right now, but the price is crazy high.

if you find rips of the tape on the internet, i alone am the source. i ripped my tape (which i've had since 95) to 192k in 2003 and upped it to a now-defunct tracker, demonoid. from there it spread. a couples of years ago i made a lossless FLAC rip, and it too lives on in various corners of the internet.

beware of FAKE buddha tapes. the cassette was ONLY ever black / clear with white lettering. the insert was xeroxed on light purple paper. there are NO legit unlabeled tapes, nor tapes with white paper labels, nor colored tapes. those are all FAKE.

9 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i highly doubt you'll find one for sale here. they turn up on ebay every few years. one is listed for sale on discogs right now, but the price is crazy high.

if you find rips of the tape on the internet, i alone am the source. i ripped my tape (which i've had since 95) to 192k in 2003 and upped it to a now-defunct tracker, demonoid. from there it spread. a couples of years ago i made a lossless FLAC rip, and it too lives on in various corners of the internet.

beware of FAKE buddha tapes. the cassette was ONLY ever black / clear with white lettering. the insert was xeroxed on light purple paper. there are NO legit unlabeled tapes, nor tapes with white paper labels, nor colored tapes. those are all FAKE.

I figured that, but it's worth a shot! Are you sure there is one for sale on Discogs? I can't seem to find it, maybe it's not showing because i'm located in Sweden.. Money isn't an issue, it was a dream i had when i was a kid to own that tape, so i'm going to fulfill that! I have been collecting Misfits stuff for years, so i'm used to ridiculous prices lol. Thanks for the heads up about the bootleg tapes!

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

i remember seeing the white paper label ones sell for $300+ on ebay back in the day. good to know they were fake. what about the various different pictures printed on the back of the j-card though? i've seen some with a picture of the band in color (most common), the same picture of the band tinted purple (similar to the short bus art), and one with a blurry pic of tom playing his guitar.

• Like 1

As a collector there's nothing I would love to have more than a legitimate Flyswatter tape. Not that I'd listen to it, it doesn't even sound good, but it would just be such a cool piece of blink history to own. I don't think I will ever even try to buy one though because I have no way of knowing for sure that what I'm paying for is the real deal, and would most likely be blowing tons of money on a fake. Not worth the risk I don't think. But I'd love to have that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

As a collector there's nothing I would love to have more than a legitimate Flyswatter tape. Not that I'd listen to it, it doesn't even sound good, but it would just be such a cool piece of blink history to own. I don't think I will ever even try to buy one though because I have no way of knowing for sure that what I'm paying for is the real deal, and would most likely be blowing tons of money on a fake. Not worth the risk I don't think. But I'd love to have that.

yea, i regret ripping my original tape back in 2003. i'm sure it's been the audio source used for countless fakes. these days i keep it in a box with its friends.

tapes.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Kevin. said:

i've seen some with a picture of the band in color (most common), the same picture of the band tinted purple (similar to the short bus art), and one with a blurry pic of tom playing his guitar.

those are the three. i **suspect** (but cannot prove) that the one that is purple tinted to look like short bus is a fake, a fan job.

the tape i own is the blurry kerry key pic insert.

11 hours ago, daveyjones said:

did you make a new rip last year as well? i know you posted a new rip of flyswatter and demo 2 to the collectors group (and they're a revelation compared to the older ones), but i wasn't aware you had a FLAC rip of buddha... gotta go find that lol...

11 hours ago, daveyjones said:

those are the three. i **suspect** (but cannot prove) that the one that is purple tinted to look like short bus is a fake, a fan job.

the tape i own is the blurry kerry key pic insert.

I google-searched and found some photos. A true Buddha tape would have the artwork displayed on photo no.1 and the tape displayed on photo no.3?

I always was under the impression that the original Buddha demo tapes had the artwork displayed on photo no.2, it was the most common one back in the day when i was a collector. Are you sure there weren't any variants? Maybe they sold out the first batch of tapes and decided to print more, and wanted to use another band photo for the new batch?

I watched that newly released documentary with Tom DeLonge, where he mentions selling thousands of Buddha tapes. If that's true or not, i don't know.

tapes.jpg

12 hours ago, Fred_182 said:

I google-searched and found some photos. A true Buddha tape would have the artwork displayed on photo no.1 and the tape displayed on photo no.3?

I always was under the impression that the original Buddha demo tapes had the artwork displayed on photo no.2, it was the most common one back in the day when i was a collector. Are you sure there weren't any variants?

i own the tape with the art featured in pic no 1. both pic no 1. and 2. of the J cards are legitimate. to my knowledge there were no alternates.

and yes, the photo you show of the cassette is the only true version. anything with a paper label, no labeling, or a different color cassette is fake.

and no, tom is exaggerating (as usual) in that documentary. less than 1,000 buddha tapes were pressed.