Damn guitar is playing games with me.

High Value Man

So I am trying to tune my guitar a half a step down and the damn thing returns to standard tuning within a couple of minutes.

Now I know that can be normal for a little while, but I've re tuned this thing down about 8 times and  thing returns to standard tuning.

It's kinda funny actually cause I am trying to record a song, and just when I think I am a half step down I am like "Wait a minute, that fucker sounds like it's gone back to standard tuning again". Sure enough....

Anything I can do to rectify the situation other than continuing to just tune it down for like the next 3 hours?

It's not a cheap guitar either (Rickenbacker)

hmm how new are the strings? possibly stretch them out a little bit. i know some guitars are touchy when they are set up for a certain tuning they want to stay in that tuning because all the intonation and everything is (supposed to be) where it should be

Yeah I can't imagine why it would be tuning up, that doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. I'd try stretching the strings out anyway, tune up a half/whole step and play on it for a little while, then try tune it back down a couple of steps to the tuning you want.

Maybe you have a Floyd Rose type of bridge?

Anyway, to tune down a guitar is recomended to go to a luthier to do some several important changes. The 'insides' of the neck should be touched if you want to maintain the new tunning for a long time.

he said it's a rickenbacker, so it's definitely not that.

Maybe it has to do something with the spring tension on your Bigsby tremolo? just guessing.

bigsby's don't have adjustable spring tensions, the only way to change it is to change the spring keeping the arm floating.

anyways, more to the point, guitars aren't meant to have tunings changed on a whim.

they're made to be set up to one tuning type and stay there, constantly changing from e to eb is going to mess with the neck.

when you lower the tension on the strings, you're lowering the tension on the neck.

that's why you see people touring with several guitars, because they're all set up for one specific tuning.

so definitely don't change the tuning just cause you want to play a different song.

set up your nice guitar for e and then have whatever else you have set up to eb.

he said it's a rickenbacker, so it's definitely not that.

Maybe it has to do something with the spring tension on your Bigsby tremolo? just guessing.

bigsby's don't have adjustable spring tensions, the only way to change it is to change the spring keeping the arm floating.

anyways, more to the point, guitars aren't meant to have tunings changed on a whim.

they're made to be set up to one tuning type and stay there, constantly changing from e to eb is going to mess with the neck.

when you lower the tension on the strings, you're lowering the tension on the neck.

that's why you see people touring with several guitars, because they're all set up for one specific tuning.

so definitely don't change the tuning just cause you want to play a different song.

set up your nice guitar for e and then have whatever else you have set up to eb.

/topic

Got it David. Ifigured people just toured with other guitars in different tunings cause they were too lazy to detune it themselves. That makes sense now.

Thanks everyone.

dont spend $5,000 on a guitar when you don't know what you're doing loliver ;)

:lol:

Yeah. I swear I've played guitar for 14 years and I am decent, but I don't know shit about the technical aspects and how to set one up and all that other stuff.