AVA General Discussion

n i k u

Well it's not really "honest criticism." Mostly it's just a thousand people commenting "suck a dick Tom."

Still though, Tom himself said he doesn't care about fame or "PR". Not reading too much into that, it would seem that he indeed does care about those things. Why disable likes and comments otherwise??

• Like 2

Still though, Tom himself said he doesn't care about fame or "PR". Not reading too much into that, it would seem that he indeed does care about those things. Why disable likes and comments otherwise??

I think i would do the same thing if a ton of people were hating senselessly on something i put a lot of work into. Even though the video and song aren't that good.

it doesn't matter what you would do.

tom said he doesn't give a shit about pr, then he proved just the opposite - he doesn't want negative opinions under his new video. it's not a personal thing from him, because he doesn't read youtube comments. it's a business thing (pr).

• Like 1

Yeah, nothing says you care more about PR and what people think of you than disabling comments and likes on a youtube video.

That's something you might expect out of a Justin Bieber or someone. A 40 year old "musician" "businessman" "artist" should surely be able to handle youtube opinions......

• Like 1

Yes, you can. Hahaha.

It's prett ridiculous. Also, I love how the band was there four members, but in the making off is only Tom talking. ike the main character. And welll, the finl video is surreal. You watch the making off and then you watch the final cut and there are tons of things lost in the process. I don't know why the hell Dave and Ed were at the shooting sessions. They barely appear on the clip, and when they do, they're like shadows.

That makes me think that something happened in the meantime. Video was recorded last summer. Then, it's released like 6 months after, and two members are barely on it.

well...

• 3 weeks later...

Looking back to some of the old AvA videos, I really think they (the band) had something. I think Tom was close to explain and express what he wanted, but it all gone really far after the first album. It, whatever it was, faded away.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bI8PVViVUE

I know what you mean. They did have a pretty clear goal in mind at first. I don't know where Tom lost it exactly.

I think it's funny how much he talks about taking back control and giving it to the artists when it's clear that he's the one that just wants to be in control. I really don't think any artists should sign onto to the stars. I feel like Tom's just following the old model of business that he so desperately wants to get away from.

• Like 1

The problem simply was that Tom never was able to produce anything better than WDNTW (and even that album wasn't over the top good)

Neither could he come up with a new sound, he was just stuck recycling the same riffs and singing about the same stuff lyrically.

Around the third album I think he realized AVA would never be a stadium rock band.

I think he just lost the focus. On a first instance, he was focused on creating something inspiring. Then, he thought it could be enormous or whatever. For some reason, his ego exploded and he though he could do super-duper shit. That took him out of focus. Then it all went downhill.

His biggest issue is he doesn't seem to know the phrase "quality over quantity". Rather than release an album so frequently he should hone and perfect the songs.... further more he seems to think the songs are perfect, which is why he needs a damn producer with fresh ears to tell him what sucks. He's too close to the projects and cant hear what's shit any more.

Also....vocal coach, he needs a fucking vocal coach. Help improve his singing and even his range which would help his melodies (or lack thereof). 

I know what you mean. They did have a pretty clear goal in mind at first. I don't know where Tom lost it exactly.

I think it's funny how much he talks about taking back control and giving it to the artists when it's clear that he's the one that just wants to be in control. I really don't think any artists should sign onto to the stars. I feel like Tom's just following the old model of business that he so desperately wants to get away from.

That's all Tom ever does.  He takes other established ideas and brands, copies them, then acts like he's the first to ever think of it. He can't come up with an original idea to save his life. He just throws millions of dollars at things somebody else is already MAKING millions of dollars off of. Pretty packaging, no content.

For example.      Modlife=Myspace   Reissued=Ebay     To The Stars=any fucking record label out there   AVA=U2

• Like 1

Yeah, Exactly. The bottom line with music is the song. You can have all the other stuff you want, and it the song is shit, none of that matters.

Tom doesn't get that. He thinks you can shit on a canvas, smear it around, call it art, and people will love it. Doesn't work that way. What's weird is Tom use to understand that its all about the song, and somewhere along the way he lost that. 

I think Modlife was a great idea - just packaged wrong. In the end, he visioned bands making all their revenue off their own stuff....but btw you have to pay modlife to use their service. It was completely backwards thinking unless you owned Modlife. 

Great idea, horrible package. deadmau5 is doing the exact same thing as modlife, but made his own website. I think Modlife made the skins and the platform 'easy' for the artist, but it didn't do anything different in the fact that it still charged artists to use their services.