AVA General Discussion

n i k u

8 minutes ago, Neal said:

The two EP's are great. But i also prefer ..Of Nightmares.

I'm known for bein a blink geek in my band, and i always share the new shit with them. One of my best friends isn't really obsessed with blink and ava but  likes a lot of their stuff.

He loves the dreamwalker though.

I showed him rebel girl the other day and he didn't really like it that much, but was amazed about how how recognisable toms songwriting still  is in every regard, and he admires that quality of him. Nobody can truly copy his style regardless if you like what he does or not, he has a distinct sound and you immediately know if he is involved

yeah I've really come to appreciate that, as the years have gone on. I still maintain he's not an "amazing" guitarist but he is recognisable and has his own 'sound' that is discernible in a lot of his work. I've never loved the majority of AVA but I can still see the building blocks in a lot of it - my issues with AVA has never been Toms guitar work or even necessarily his songwriting, it's been lyrics vocals and synths. 

I never truly appreciated the importance of his influence as a songwriter until they tried to be 'blink' without him. +44 worked because Mark wasn't trying to be blink and it's a solid record (although not a favourite of mine) but Tom has always been a little bit better at standing out on his own, BCR showed that before AVA was even on the scene. 

it's a shame he's a fruit loop really. 

I still don't like Rebel Girl though haha

• Like 1

Can't wait for this trainwreck to hit the stage! Will Tom rehearse new dance moves for the tour? Will he talk to the crowd about how they're going to change the world together? Also looking forward to all the completely non-ironic "Tom sounded so awesome last night!" comments.

• Haha 1

Tier1:

It Hurts

Secret Crowds

Rebel Girl

Tier 2:

Distraction, The War

Flight of Apollo

Wolfpack

Overload, Voyager

Tier 3:

Adventure, A Little's Enough

Sirens

Surrender

Tier 4:

True Love, DIFMN

Saturday Love, Anxiety, Young London

Teenagers & Rituals, Mercenaries

Into The Night

Artillery

...Of Nightmares was supposed to be a true companion to the Poet Anderson book, when Tom had his grand idea of intertwining all of his media projects. Neat idea in theory, and I enjoyed it for the experimental EP it was. Chasing Shadows was *supposed* to be like this to go along with the Chasing Shadows book, but just seemed more like an AVA EP, I still listen to it pretty often and I remember tons of positive reviews when it came out. Most people seemed to love the title track the most, I was more into Overload/Artillery.

When I need my Tom fix I'll fly through AVA's discography, and even though Love/Love2 are pretty repetitive I dig both those albums and recommend them. "Inertia" is my low key jam. That being said, Rebel Girl is nowhere near my Top 5 AVA though. Probably not even Top 25. 

• Like 2

I don't like the originals to care about the remixes but I thought the Surrender remix was much better than the original. and Diary is probably the best AVA 'sounding' AVA song ever. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kay said:

I don't like the originals to care about the remixes but I thought the Surrender remix was much better than the original. and Diary is probably the best AVA 'sounding' AVA song ever

I like diary a lot, even though it’s a bit heavy handed with the synths. Sounds like music they would put in a whale watching video ffs. Picture a big killer whale splashing into the sea in slo mo to diary haha.

• Haha 1

I randomly became the biggest AvA fan after these last couple weeks.. didn't think this would ever happen.  Never liked them much, thought Adventure was just okay (cool verses though), I really think the perspective on Tom was a bit clouded from Blink being such a fun band and Tom being more serious/uplifting in AvA.

They really are more interesting than even Box Car dare I say. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'd agree with that, BCR is just such a specific time period/mood, it's hard to replicate and perfect as it's own standalone album. AVA is more of Tom's playground through the years, so it covers way more bases.

If you get really bored, check out The Dream Walker Demos... cool to see how some of those songs changed, and different lyrics/choruses/etc. There's also a song on there called "Recover" that is a bit of a fan fav that people are actually hoping gets a proper recording and on the new album. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

I randomly became the biggest AvA fan after these last couple weeks..

Similar for me! I like AvA but they haven't been consistently in my rotation for years - probably not since I-Empire. But after Rebel Girl came out (which I don't love at all), I've been playing them while at work and it's been pretty good. Definitely enjoying some of the more recent work more than I used to which is nice. Makes me think I'd go see them live again...if they ever tour near me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay said:

When current blink is so bad that they create new AVA fans and Tom bots, you know you're in the darkest timeline. 

True, I miss when blink made AvA look bad, and Mark and Tom will always make the best combo, but it is nice to have a brand new array of music at your feet.

It is also a bit more 'mature' in a way, still goofy Tom and odd lyrics at times, but you know what I mean.

There's definitely some hits I absolutely love though.