AVA General Discussion

n i k u

25 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Has he announced a new album and release date yet?  I mean we have 2 new songs, I'd imagine a new album is coming, but I really haven't kept up too closely.

Second single is coming very soon. I think that single comes with some more info on the album.

The album is supposed to drop early 2020 so everything should fall into place before december i would think

27 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Oh fuck, they actually are sounding tight.

They sound better than they ever have live.

Tom sounds better here than anything I've heard from blink in years and instrumentally they sound great as well - good to see Tom taking music seriously again, I'm not even crabbing on that either

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

They sound better than they ever have live.

Tom sounds better here than anything I've heard from blink in years and instrumentally they sound great as well - good to see Tom taking music seriously again, I'm not even crabbing on that either

Oh my, true.

I mean, have they ever sounded this good? Well, moreover... has Tom ever sounded this good in recent years?

If he's gonna keep this level and commit, he just cant return to blink right now.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, M!ke said:

Has he announced a new album and release date yet?  I mean we have 2 new songs, I'd imagine a new album is coming, but I really haven't kept up too closely.

It's nowhere close, Ilan/Aaron were both on podcasts recently and both said only 1 other song was done (and Rebel Girl + K&T were both way better, and it may get scrapped or revisited at this point). It's going to be a long time...

12 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

It's nowhere close, Ilan/Aaron were both on podcasts recently and both said only 1 other song was done (and Rebel Girl + K&T were both way better, and it may get scrapped or revisited at this point). It's going to be a long time...

Well that is disappointing.  It is going to be a full length album though, right?  Like this isn't all just for another 5 song EP is it?  I did think the Chasing Shadows EP was decent, but it's been too long since their last full length release, another EP would be annoying.  Especially since I do think that The Dreamwalker was definitely one of their best releases.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, M!ke said:

Well that is disappointing.  It is going to be a full length album though, right?  Like this isn't all just for another 5 song EP is it? 

It still seems that way, but even if Tom is super inspired and into music right now, you'd have to think it is still going to be at least a year from now before it would be released. They're busy in December/January with shows, and currently have 3 songs done... it will be weird when it's a 10 song album, and 2 of the songs have been out 2 years at that point lol. And remember, Tom said he was going to finish the first half of the album, record a film that the album will be named after, and then finish the second half.

24 minutes ago, Kay_Coight_ehgotmyvote! said:

Idk seems like theyve lived up to their promises so far this cycle? Maybe Tom's failing relationship was a big part of his inability to commit to music.

I'm gonna guess it was the million other alien/book/cartoon/fake companies and not Jen.

• Like 1

Yeah I think this narrative of "It was Jens fault Tom didn't do music! not the whole entire business and media empire he tried to build and all the aliens he was chasing" is stupid, like it obviously wasn't Jen's doing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kay said:

Yeah I think this narrative of "It was Jens fault Tom didn't do music! not the whole entire business and media empire he tried to build and all the aliens he was chasing" is stupid, like it obviously wasn't Jen's doing. 

He's a musician first and foremost, he's probably just having a blast at the moment with AVA, and I don't think he thought he would.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't sleep last night and I was watching recent Tom interviews and I thought man, I haven't actually tried WDNTW in years, now that I like current AVA Maybe I should try it? 

I got halfway through valkyrie missile and gave it. It's so boring and Tom sounds so bad, I still don't get it. Spun Dream Walker though for the first time in ages, still holds up well. 

On 12/25/2019 at 5:20 PM, Kay said:

I couldn't sleep last night and I was watching recent Tom interviews and I thought man, I haven't actually tried WDNTW in years, now that I like current AVA Maybe I should try it? 

I got halfway through valkyrie missile and gave it. It's so boring and Tom sounds so bad, I still don't get it. Spun Dream Walker though for the first time in ages, still holds up well. 

I think WDNTW is full of amazing ideas but nearly all the songs fall short. The first minute of Valkyrie Missile just isn't needed but as soon as the delayed guitar riff comes in, my God. I fucking love that part. The verses come in and they sound nice but their too long. By the time the chorus comes in, I'm kinda bored from the repetitive verses. But I do like the chorus.

That's the problem I find with most AVA stuff. Some of the songs are too long or too repetitive. The Adventure is another that turns to shit after the second chorus. The War sounds amazing but it's so fucking repetitive. It Hurts sounds like it could've been a bigger song but the song is a bit too monotonous and boring after the second chorus. Do It For Me Now has amazing lyrics but like the majority of the songs, it's just too long and repetitive. A Little's Enough is interesting and fresh although I'm not a fan of the bridge. I think Start the Machine is the only song that actually is actually perfect in every way.

The Dream Walker is a damn good album. It's not perfect. It has some dodgy lyrics at times. But it's funny how the most WDNTW/I-Empire sounding song Tremors is also the worst song for me. Tunnels is another that sounds kinda like older AVA, but the song is just interesting all the way through. I just hate long ass repetitive songs and it's why I struggle to get into a lot of AVA stuff, but at the same time I also like a lot of AVA stuff. And it's mainly because every song does have some damn good ideas in it.

19 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I think WDNTW is full of amazing ideas but nearly all the songs fall short. The first minute of Valkyrie Missile just isn't needed but as soon as the delayed guitar riff comes in, my God. I fucking love that part. The verses come in and they sound nice but their too long. By the time the chorus comes in, I'm kinda bored from the repetitive verses. But I do like the chorus.

That's the problem I find with most AVA stuff. Some of the songs are too long or too repetitive. The Adventure is another that turns to shit after the second chorus. The War sounds amazing but it's so fucking repetitive. It Hurts sounds like it could've been a bigger song but the song is a bit too monotonous and boring after the second chorus. Do It For Me Now has amazing lyrics but like the majority of the songs, it's just too long and repetitive. A Little's Enough is interesting and fresh although I'm not a fan of the bridge. I think Start the Machine is the only song that actually is actually perfect in every way.

The Dream Walker is a damn good album. It's not perfect. It has some dodgy lyrics at times. But it's funny how the most WDNTW/I-Empire sounding song Tremors is also the worst song for me. Tunnels is another that sounds kinda like older AVA, but the song is just interesting all the way through. I just hate long ass repetitive songs and it's why I struggle to get into a lot of AVA stuff, but at the same time I also like a lot of AVA stuff. And it's mainly because every song does have some damn good ideas in it.

See I actually really like the intro to Valkyrie Missile and I don't mind the long intros but they always just sort've...go nowhere. I'd like the build up if they made sense you know? When the actual verse kicks in on that one then im like "okay now im bored" its just pointless.

I like a lot of the record musically but the actual composition of the song, the lyrics and Toms voice combine to make a bit of a shit time. I loved Dream Walker but it is riddled with issues but I feel there's more positives to outway the negatives. I agree with you that Tremors is the worst on that record funnily enough lol 

• Like 1

Hyped for the doc and I'm into the music. I've watched Start the Machine numerous times, so I think this one will be cool. 

I feel like Tom's been more transparent lately in general, so I wonder if he partially wanted to do this as a PR move. Make him look a little cooler again after years of being a non-musician doing things most of us don't care about haha

• Love 1

I believe most on here prefer Love 1 over Love2, but count me in the minority that would take Love 2.

Love1 does have some great moments, so its not that i dislike it at all. But just complete album vs complete album, i would always take Love2.

I guess im just not 'tired of the same ideas running thin' that ive heard is the general consenus of Love2.

With these next string of shows coming up, im more looking forward to hearing Dry Your Eyes than Clever Love (assuming both still get played).

I do love Hallucinations, but i feel Anxiety is so close to it (quality-wise), that they are basically equal as #1 singles. I also really like both Moon songs, so they basically equal each other for me. Revelator and Interia are both as good for me as Letters and Behold. 

Ive always liked All That We Are more than Origins of Fire as a closer. Always liked Saturday Love more than Flight of Apollo.

And where Love2 really pulls away for me is A) the strength of Surrender (which I view as a Top5 AVA song based on its live performance and crowd participation and sing-along), i like miles ahead of something like Young London or a fellow single like Epic Holiday. And b) One Last Thing being such a high standout for me.

• Love 1