AVA General Discussion

n i k u

10 hours ago, Marik said:

I believe most on here prefer Love 1 over Love2, but count me in the minority that would take Love 2.

Love1 does have some great moments, so its not that i dislike it at all. But just complete album vs complete album, i would always take Love2.

I guess im just not 'tired of the same ideas running thin' that ive heard is the general consenus of Love2.

With these next string of shows coming up, im more looking forward to hearing Dry Your Eyes than Clever Love (assuming both still get played).

I do love Hallucinations, but i feel Anxiety is so close to it (quality-wise), that they are basically equal as #1 singles. I also really like both Moon songs, so they basically equal each other for me. Revelator and Interia are both as good for me as Letters and Behold. 

Ive always liked All That We Are more than Origins of Fire as a closer. Always liked Saturday Love more than Flight of Apollo.

And where Love2 really pulls away for me is A) the strength of Surrender (which I view as a Top5 AVA song based on its live performance and crowd participation and sing-along), i like miles ahead of something like Young London or a fellow single like Epic Holiday. And b) One Last Thing being such a high standout for me.

Yeah I'm with you on this one!

Anxiety isn't just close quality wise to Hallucinations, it beats it imo. As much as I love Love 1, when Love 2 was released I was euphoric, I honestly though it was their best work. 

These days I like both albums, but part two is the better half

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

Nope! Love those songs! Only shit  I've really liked from AvA since We Don't Need To Whisper. 

Same. Although I haven’t checked out much because it usually turns me off by being boring and lame. Secret Crowds was a good one and so was tremors tho. Outside of those and WDNTW, AvA just doesn’t do it for me 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 11:15 PM, Just Jan_ said:

I can't get over Rebel Girl.  How is everyone on here not raving over it?  It has all the classic Tom elements.  Some silly but catchy 80s influence, nicely toned guitar riffs, moving chorus melody, nice little breakdown and finale.

I'm in love with their new music!!! It sounds great on vinyl as well, I bought a few of the 7'' when they were on sale!

• Like 2

On 10/5/2019 at 11:55 AM, Dylan_ said:

Rebel Girl live is fucking great! The crowd was was loving it at both shows I went to. 

Got some great videos from the shows but I need to figure how to upload them. 

They were fabulous weren’t they?!!!!

• Crab 1

15 minutes ago, Marik said:

Did Love1 anniversary today Feb 12 or Feb 14? I always thought 14th - as wikipedia states. But a bunch of the social posts are referring to it today 12th? Can anyone recall?

I assure you with confidence it was the 12th!!!! i'm celebrating all day with my love shirt and sour patch kids!

10 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

If you have any questions for Atom Willard, post below... ;) 

I have a ton of questions for him but none would be AvA related, they're all Against Me! and Rocket from the Crypt questions. He's probably one of, if not my favorite drummers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

I have a ton of questions for him but none would be AvA related, they're all Against Me! and Rocket from the Crypt questions. He's probably one of, if not my favorite drummers. 

I'm sure he'd be happy to answer stuff about other bands so def send in a few you're thinking of.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I'm sure he'd be happy to answer stuff about other bands so def send in a few you're thinking of.

I'd love to, provided it doesn't distract from what you're doing. I'll pm you a few and you can make that decision when the time comes. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Im watching like an 6 hour long video tutorial of Tom Lorde Alge mixing and talking about The Adventure. Awesome stuff, but what surprised me the most is him furious about how badly the drums were recorded and how some channels were unusable. Like room mics, and he couldnt even use the hi hat mic. Maybe thats why the hi hat is room sound only?He said there was like at least 5 drum mics unusable. Hes guessing that an engineer dialed in a sound, then Atom came in and played so loud he probably ruined everything (the dialed in pre amps, and stuff). And he said he HATES how much and loud atom played the hi hat, it was hard to mix because of it, and he would have smashed his hand and told him to stop if he was there hahaha. Never knew that. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Reg said:

Im watching like an 6 hour long video tutorial of Tom Lorde Alge mixing and talking about The Adventure. Awesome stuff, but what surprised me the most is him furious about how badly the drums were recorded and how some channels were unusable. Like room mics, and he couldnt even use the hi hat mic. Maybe thats why the hi hat is room sound only?He said there was like at least 5 drum mics unusable. Hes guessing that an engineer dialed in a sound, then Atom came in and played so loud he probably ruined everything (the dialed in pre amps, and stuff). And he said he HATES how much and loud atom played the hi hat, it was hard to mix because of it, and he would have smashed his hand and told him to stop if he was there hahaha. Never knew that. 

I've always thought that it would be a nightmare mixing the recordings from drummers like Atom and Travis that beat the shit out of the cymbals. Guess we got it confirmed lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

I've always thought that it would be a nightmare mixing the recordings from drummers like Atom and Travis that beat the shit out of the cymbals. Guess we got it confirmed lol

I've always had a gripe with people who say things like "X drummer is sooooo good, look how hard he hits the drums!" as if that's some measure of skill. Passion, sure, but come on haha

• Haha 1