AVA General Discussion

n i k u

14 minutes ago, nervousheartbeat said:

I've always had a gripe with people who say things like "X drummer is sooooo good, look how hard he hits the drums!" as if that's some measure of skill. Passion, sure, but come on haha

Who has ever said that?

• Like 1

From a technical standpoint, travis plays terrible. He wastes way too much energy on looking cool and hitting the drums hard. No wonder his hands are a mess, but i guess it's cool having bloodstains all over your drumheads if you're gangster...

• Haha 1
  • Crab 1

4 minutes ago, Neal said:

From a technical standpoint, travis plays terrible. He wastes way too much energy on looking cool and hitting the drums hard. No wonder his hands are a mess, but i guess it's cool having bloodstains all over your drumheads if you're gangster...

yeah I wish he would play classical jazz style drums with the drumsticks switched around like a true musician.

Not even close to what i was trying to say but i knew the fanboys would get triggered.

I wish ilan would need to cancel tours because of fucked up arms but the coward is just not rock'n'roll enough and discovered a thing called gravity....

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Not even close to what i was trying to say but i knew the fanboys would get triggered.

I wish ilan would need to cancel tours because of fucked up arms but the coward is just not rock'n'roll enough and discovered a thing called gravity....

Illan IS pretty far from Rock n' Roll.  More like a weird child prodigy.

Yeah, besides the hi hat thing on We Dont Need To Whisper, the recording engineer on the drums (they recorded at dave grohls studio) ruined the recordings according to Tom Lord Alge. He shows the drum channels and how it sounds, very interesting. He was like obviously mad talking about it and really shat on the one who recorded it. Kind of makes you think about the drum sound in a different way, i’ve always loved the sound. Well, guess thats the magic of TLA. 

14 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Illan IS pretty far from Rock n' Roll.  More like a weird child prodigy.

Because if there were ever a qualified judge on deciding what makes someone Rock n' Roll, it's a die hard Blink fan who thinks highly of California and Nine. You're meltin' like a popsicle. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

Because if there were ever a qualified judge on deciding what makes someone Rock n' Roll, it's a die hard Blink fan who thinks highly of California and Nine. You're meltin' like a popsicle. 

I also think highly of Slayer...your point?  Try again Tom's Angel.

1 hour ago, Reg said:

Yeah, besides the hi hat thing on We Dont Need To Whisper, the recording engineer on the drums (they recorded at dave grohls studio) ruined the recordings according to Tom Lord Alge. He shows the drum channels and how it sounds, very interesting. He was like obviously mad talking about it and really shat on the one who recorded it. Kind of makes you think about the drum sound in a different way, i’ve always loved the sound. Well, guess thats the magic of TLA. 

Yeah the drums sounded way better on I-Empire

• 4 weeks later...

Just gotta say, as a new fan (though an old fan of Blink and Boxcar), I have only heard the album I-Empire in full so far (with several other songs from most of the other albums), but I love it! Some songs don't strike me much, but the ones that do are freaking amazing!! I hope there is still some love here for A&A, because I like chatting about it. :D

Edit: Oh yeah, so, my faves (on this album) are; Rite of Spring, Heaven, Secret Crowds, and Everything's Magic. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome @Ry-Bread ! Yeah, it's definitely a great album. But I'm like really into Do it For Me Now these days. I've actually heard a lot of songs by the time I posted that and even more now, but I-Empire is still the only FULL one I've heard. I think either Whisper or maybe Love pt 1 I've gotten super close to finishing. I'm also super stoked for the new album. Hope it comes out this year!!

On 6/29/2020 at 12:20 AM, Reg said:

Im watching like an 6 hour long video tutorial of Tom Lorde Alge mixing and talking about The Adventure. Awesome stuff, but what surprised me the most is him furious about how badly the drums were recorded and how some channels were unusable. Like room mics, and he couldnt even use the hi hat mic. Maybe thats why the hi hat is room sound only?He said there was like at least 5 drum mics unusable. Hes guessing that an engineer dialed in a sound, then Atom came in and played so loud he probably ruined everything (the dialed in pre amps, and stuff). And he said he HATES how much and loud atom played the hi hat, it was hard to mix because of it, and he would have smashed his hand and told him to stop if he was there hahaha. Never knew that. 

Bit late to the party but where did you watch the video? I'm always interested to listen and watch things like that. i'm sure there's a video about mixing blink-182's Obvious which has acoustic guitars in it. Never even noticed any acoustic guitar in that track haha.

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Bit late to the party but where did you watch the video? I'm always interested to listen and watch things like that. i'm sure there's a video about mixing blink-182's Obvious which has acoustic guitars in it. Never even noticed any acoustic guitar in that track haha.

Obvious was mix with the masters I think (not entirely sure) but The Adventure was nail the mix

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twentytwenty said:

Obvious was mix with the masters I think (not entirely sure) but The Adventure was nail the mix

Obvious is on PureMix and Ryan Hewitt the engineer is mixing it, so its not a tutorial by Tom Lord Alge. But really awesome to see all the tracks and sounds you didnt know were there. 

and yeah the adventure is on nail the mix. I did the trial, watch it, then cancelled my subscription haha. #hackerman

• Like 1
  • Haha 2