AVA General Discussion

n i k u

I-Empire "burned out" pretty quickly. I listened to it for maybe a month and really liked it but since that I have barely touched it.

Love is much better and I still listen to it regularly. It's got the best AvA songs (Flight of Apollo, Hallucinations) and even the bad songs (Clever Love, Shove) are tolerable.

I-Empire "burned out" pretty quickly. I listened to it for maybe a month and really liked it but since that I have barely touched it.

Love is much better and I still listen to it regularly. It's got the best AvA songs (Flight of Apollo, Hallucinations) and even the bad songs (Clever Love, Shove) are tolerable.

I do like LOVE, there something about the production i prefer over previous releases.

Yes, the worst songs on WDNTW and I-Empire are nowhere near as tolerable as the worst songs on LOVE.

LOVE is consistently good, but I think WDNTW and I-Empire have more great songs... yet also more shit/average songs.

Hallucinations one of the best AVA songs? Really? I think Love is a good CD, but I also think it lacks a lot. I think WDWTW was the most conceptual and experimental albums, I-Empire was more "radio-friendly" but has some of the most "epic" songs AVA have wrote (i.e. Call To Arms and Love Like Rockets), whereas Love is just solid but never goes the extra mile with any of their songs. Like most reviews of love, I have to agree that Love has brilliant ideas but they just aren't formulated fully.

In my opinion  :lol:

Well since we're discussing how we like each album, I guess I'll throw my opinions out there.

I think We Don't Need to Whisper is amazing all the way through. Valkyrie Missile is the most epic album intro ever and Start the Machine is an amazing ending. I love every song on the album. Even my least favorite on the album (Good Day) is still really good.

I-Empire is great too. I don't like it as much, but it stays pretty consistently good throughout the entire album. I know I'm a minority here when I say Love Like Rockets is one of my least favorite AVA songs, but I've just never liked it that much. I'll still listen to it, I don't dislike it, but it's definitely one of my least favorite AVA songs, other than songs that shouldn't even be counted like Jumping Rooftops.

LOVE starts out amazing. The first half is so great. The second half is not nearly as good. I think for this reason LOVE might be my least favorite AVA album, even though it has a bunch of my favorite AVA songs. Clever Love and Some Origins of Fire are my absolute least favorite AVA songs ever. They almost always get skipped by me. Until LOVE, I could listen to every AVA song and enjoy it, but I just don't like these two. Clever Love is just a worse version of Breathe, and Some Origins of Fire... Just... I don't even know. That song just does absolutely nothing for me. WDNTW and I-Empire had both amazing opening and ending songs. The opening to LOVE is great too, but I thought it had a horrible ending.

Okay I know nobody asked me to do that and nobody cares either but I'm bored. haha.

i always thought valkyrie missile was the most epic live intro ever. some origins of fire is one of my favorite LOVE songs. but like many of the songs on that cd, the chorus is extremely lacking.

i thought it was bs that they spilt SOB into two songs. and they totally did it at a random/lame spot too.

It's really interesting to see how some people's taste differentiate throughout AVA fans. I mean, with blink, many people have "clear" favorite songs, while with AVA, some peoples most hated songs are other people's absolute favorite. I'd have to say Do It For Me Now might be my favorite song, and I guarantee a lot of people absolutely despise that song, whereas many I-Empire songs I hate and some people absolutely love. I guess that comes with most bands, I just see it constantly through AVA fans

i always thought valkyrie missile was the most epic live intro ever.

i thought it was bs that they spilt SOB into two songs. and they totally did it at a random/lame spot too.

I agree with both of these points. I saw AVA back in 2006, and they opened with Valkyrie Missile, and it was so incredibly epic. I wish they would still open with it.

And I also think it's stupid that they split that song. They didn't even make it so you could listen to the song without a long intro, because even if you only listen to the "True Love" track, the intro is STILL really long.

Also, as a side note, the SOB/True Love "live remix" they played for the encore of their 2008 US tour was one of the coolest things I've ever seen/heard at a concert.

WDNTW: I thought this album had a unique sound to it...it's the closest to capturing Tom's idea of what the band is, since it's the most spacey and "big" sounding.  Tom's voice still sounded blink-ish, which is a plus.  My favorite part of many of these songs are the bridges.

High points: The Adventure, Start the Machine, The Gift, The War played live

Low points: Do It For Me Now, Distraction, It Hurts

I-Empire:  This album had the catchiest melodies, and is also the point where Tom's voice is my least favorite.  I really think that Secret Crowds and Call to Arms are powerful songs that really do "build" up to some great point, and while I do listen to the rest of the songs, they seemed to blend together too much, and the songs weren't memorable until I had really listened for awhile.  However, none besides the instrumentals are really ones I skip, and it's probably my favorite of the three for now.

High points: Secret Crowds, Call to Arms, Breathe, Love Like Rockets, Rite of Spring

Low points: SoB, Jumping Rooftops, Everything's Magic,

LOVE:  This album to me had a different type of sound.  There wasn't as much build up, and in many places it seemed to have less depth.  I really like the first half of the album, and while the second half is listenable, I usually would rather replay the first.  Flight of Apollo sounded more blink-ish than other songs though.

High points: Flight of the Apollo, Young London, Shove, Moon-Atomic

Low points: Some Origins of Fire, Letters to God Pt. 2, Clever Love

some of my favorites!

I love Do It For Me Now. I'm actually really sad they haven't played it lately. One of my favorite AVA songs. I'm just super glad I got to see AVA on their WDNTW tour, because I love all of those songs, plus they played Star of Bethlehem, I Miss You, and There Is. I love those three songs too. I Miss You and There Is are actually tied as my two favorite songs of all time.

My opinion on LOVE is the opening is really great and the closing is really great, its the middle that gets boring IMO. Clever Love honestly is just bad, really bad boring unnecesary song. Moon Atomic is ok I enjoy listening to it but I think its pretty bland, kinda reminds me of Give Me Novocaine by Green Day. But yea after Clever Love when Soul Survivor comes on in my opinion the album is saved, that song is so amazingly epic, the chorus is unlike anything Tom has ever written, Letters To God 2 is really great too IMO when that guitar riff kicks in its really amazing, and SOOF is really great, the one line "cold unbearable lifes so terrible" makes the whole song in my opinon, I dno why its just such a great line. And the last riff in the song is also unlike anything Tom has done

I think one of the main things I don't like about Some Origins of Fire is the ending. I don't like how it just fades out. For some reason that has just always bugged me. I'm not against fading songs out, but for whatever reason it just doesn't seem fitting to me in that song. And it doesn't seem like an epic enough album ending. I dunno, I'm weird.

I think one of the main things I don't like about Some Origins of Fire is the ending. I don't like how it just fades out. For some reason that has just always bugged me. I'm not against fading songs out, but for whatever reason it just doesn't seem fitting to me in that song. And it doesn't seem like an epic enough album ending. I dunno, I'm weird.

i really like the intro and the verses. but the chorus is sooo weak

I'm the exact same, especially since AVA's opening/closing songs have always seemed to be songs that are trying to be epic and grand. With Love, starts out well (the album), but this song as a closer...well, it sounds like it's going to be epic and the fade out to me just comes out as incredibly lazy and lame.