AVA General Discussion

n i k u

I don't believe that Ilan wrote a lot of parts. Many guitar parts on Dream Walker definitely sound like they were created by the one and only Tom DeLonge. I would agree that Ilan played bass since it became more textured and post-punky. If Ilan is such a genius and Tom is crap, why don't his solo songs sound as good? The answer is simple, Ilan can't write songs, he's just a player

Ilan is a very talented dude, come on you cant be that naive. The guitar work on that record (except maybe paralysed) sounds nothing like Tom. Ilans finger prints are everywhere.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kay said:

Ilan is a very talented dude, come on you cant be that naive. The guitar work on that record (except maybe paralysed) sounds nothing like Tom. Ilans finger prints are everywhere.

I'm not sure Ilan did all the guitar work. Tunnels & Tremors definitely have the AVA vibe that we all got tired of. Although there's a video of Ilan recording acoustic guitars for Tunnels. I like to think it's 50/50. The Disease verses definitely are Tom on the guitar too. Mercenaries and Teenagers & Rituals are probably Tom too. Palm muted power chords are his thing haha.

But I do agree, Ilan definitely has his prints everywhere. Love how the album kind of sounds like Nine Inch Nails in parts too. Imagine how great the early AVA records would be if Tom allowed the creative control to every member, the way he allowed Ilan.

As for the Feldman/Ilan topic, you just can't compare Feldman and Ilan. One was a drummer, brought in to replace Atom and happens to be able to play bass and guitar just as well. AVA was a two man band at this point, and we all knew this. The other was brought in just as a producer. Ilan was part of the band. He toured with them. Feldman is just blink's producer. Yet somehow California is covered by his finger prints rather than Skiba's finger prints.

The Dream Walker was a nice surprise. Wasn't like they brought in a guy to try and remain relevant. We all knew it was gonna sound different, especially before the release. We all knew Ilan was gonna have more control than previous AVA members, because Tom said as much. The Dream Walker didn't give me a misleading feel to it when I heard the album. It was different. Very different to previous AVA albums. But California gives me a misleading feel to it. Sounds more like Feldman is more of a band member than Skiba is. I'd have less of a problem with this if Feldman was brought in as a guitarist instead of Skiba. That said, I still wouldn't like that they sound like a modern pop punk band.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

As for the Feldman/Ilan topic, you just can't compare Feldman and Ilan. One was a drummer, brought in to replace Atom and happens to be able to play bass and guitar just as well. AVA was a two man band at this point, and we all knew this. The other was brought in just as a producer. Ilan was part of the band. He toured with them. Feldman is just blink's producer. Yet somehow California is covered by his finger prints rather than Skiba's finger prints.

Unless you consider Feldmann the fourth member... >:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...