n  i  k u .

AVA General Discussion

I don't like the originals to care about the remixes but I thought the Surrender remix was much better than the original. and Diary is probably the best AVA 'sounding' AVA song ever. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kay said:

I don't like the originals to care about the remixes but I thought the Surrender remix was much better than the original. and Diary is probably the best AVA 'sounding' AVA song ever

I like diary a lot, even though it’s a bit heavy handed with the synths. Sounds like music they would put in a whale watching video ffs. Picture a big killer whale splashing into the sea in slo mo to diary haha.

• Haha 1

Per DK's IG story, looks like the whole band is in the studio today. Also looked like the Peter McKinnon guy is doing some filming, I think we'll get a cool documentary about this comeback album/tour eventually.

I randomly became the biggest AvA fan after these last couple weeks.. didn't think this would ever happen.  Never liked them much, thought Adventure was just okay (cool verses though), I really think the perspective on Tom was a bit clouded from Blink being such a fun band and Tom being more serious/uplifting in AvA.

They really are more interesting than even Box Car dare I say. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'd agree with that, BCR is just such a specific time period/mood, it's hard to replicate and perfect as it's own standalone album. AVA is more of Tom's playground through the years, so it covers way more bases.

If you get really bored, check out The Dream Walker Demos... cool to see how some of those songs changed, and different lyrics/choruses/etc. There's also a song on there called "Recover" that is a bit of a fan fav that people are actually hoping gets a proper recording and on the new album. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

I randomly became the biggest AvA fan after these last couple weeks..

Similar for me! I like AvA but they haven't been consistently in my rotation for years - probably not since I-Empire. But after Rebel Girl came out (which I don't love at all), I've been playing them while at work and it's been pretty good. Definitely enjoying some of the more recent work more than I used to which is nice. Makes me think I'd go see them live again...if they ever tour near me. 

• Like 1

When current blink is so bad that they create new AVA fans and Tom bots, you know you're in the darkest timeline. 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 2

1 hour ago, Kay said:

When current blink is so bad that they create new AVA fans and Tom bots, you know you're in the darkest timeline. 

True, I miss when blink made AvA look bad, and Mark and Tom will always make the best combo, but it is nice to have a brand new array of music at your feet.

It is also a bit more 'mature' in a way, still goofy Tom and odd lyrics at times, but you know what I mean.

There's definitely some hits I absolutely love though.

On 10/8/2014 at 10:33 PM, Ghost said:

You saw this photo:

tn_205.jpg

WTF i thought that was a new photto?

2 hours ago, Neal said:

Your post is from 2014?

Holy crap, I's swear I saw a similar one recently.

so they're actual promo pic at the time is about 5 years old?

why?

damn this "band" is so wierd. still hyped for new music though!

• Like 1

I feel like that post was edited somehow..? In the discussion, one of the responses I saw didn't make sense and suggested the picture was changed or something, but I don't know if that's how any of this works hahaha

The footage in this video shows the photoshoot though, and everything is exactly the same, which is why I feel like something is off here..unless this is footage that's 5 years old and they somehow look exactly the same age now.

• Like 1

For those that have seen AVA live before, do they typically play the exact same setlist every night of the tour?

Or for a 2nd night in the same city do they try to swap a few diff songs in/out?

I can't get over Rebel Girl.  How is everyone on here not raving over it?  It has all the classic Tom elements.  Some silly but catchy 80s influence, nicely toned guitar riffs, moving chorus melody, nice little breakdown and finale.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

I can't get over Rebel Girl.  How is everyone on here not raving over it?  It has all the classic Tom elements.  Some silly but catchy 80s influence, nicely toned guitar riffs, moving chorus melody, nice little breakdown and finale.

Too cheesy AF to me. 

• Like 1

I find it a bit too generic AVA for my liking. To me it's a bit boring and too similar to the LOVE songs. Had the same opinion on Paralyzed, although I love the riff on that song.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

It's average, has some good parts but also some that are not so good.

I think your mind is playing tricks on you, making you like it more because of how bad Skiba is in Blink.