AVA General Discussion

n i k u

GOD. DAMN.

I had never seen that drum off video of Ilan before. I knew he was a great drummer, but WOW.

He is literally everything I strive to be as a musician. Hopefully, as others have said, he gets a chance to play to his potential with Angels and Airwaves, it'd be a shame not to, since he's obviously such a great creative talent. A guy like him is just what this band needs. If only the sound guy would EQ his drums better at the AVA shows haha.

It doesn't matter who the drummer is when they are drumming to shitty songs that go nowhere.

No way this guy is anything more than a temporary member, cashing in on the fact that AVA members don't actually work.

It doesn't matter who the drummer is when they are drumming to shitty songs that go nowhere.

No way this guy is anything more than a temporary member, cashing in on the fact that AVA members don't actually work.

I disagree. The fact that he's playing piano solos at their live shows and had an obvious influence on the music in the "New Blood" video that just came out might show that he'll be doing a bit more than just playing drums.

I disagree. The fact that he's playing piano solos at their live shows and had an obvious influence on the music in the "New Blood" video that just came out might show that he'll be doing a bit more than just playing drums.

Tom writes all the music. The band members are just hired musicians to fulfill tom's space odyssey music and to act as touring partners.

All I'm saying is that I think it's a likely possibility for Ilan to contribute musically to this band. It'd be a complete waste if he didn't, and I would HOPE that Tom is smart enough to realize this. I'm not saying he has to accept a major role as far as songwriting goes, but I think he was "hired" as more than just a touring member.

Who knows, time will tell.

True, but to be honest with you I don't see the same kind of all around musical versatility in Travis that Ilan has. Yeah, Travis plays drums in a bunch of different projects (blink, BCR, solo stuff, etc...), but as fans we don't know if he's actually WRITTEN any music, other than his drum parts. Ilan is both a killer drummer and a fantastic (in my opinion) composer. My point is that Tom would be fucking stupid to not consider including Ilan in the songwriting process. If he doesn't, then yeah, I see him leaving the band, and relatively soon.

All I'm saying is that I think it's a likely possibility for Ilan to contribute musically to this band. It'd be a complete waste if he didn't, and I would HOPE that Tom is smart enough to realize this. I'm not saying he has to accept a major role as far as songwriting goes, but I think he was "hired" as more than just a touring member.

Who knows, time will tell.

if tom was smart he would rid of AVA entirely.

Think Travis might have come up with the end of Snake Charmer.

But anyway Tom seems a bit better with sharing it around in AVA now. At the live shows Ilan plays two solos and Tom went completely off stage to let the others shine for like 2-3 minutes, that's pretty big for Tom lol. Maybe it'll translate to the studio as well.

Think Travis might have come up with the end of Snake Charmer.

But anyway Tom seems a bit better with sharing it around in AVA now. At the live shows Ilan plays two solos and Tom went completely off stage to let the others shine for like 2-3 minutes, that's pretty big for Tom lol. Maybe it'll translate to the studio as well.

Well I know he came up with the drum beat at the end. Eh. Who knows.

What you're saying is basically the point I'm trying to make; Tom seems to be loosening his grip on creative control a liiiiiiitle bit.

Truth, but Travis still knows shit, he contributed on the album as we heard, saying it wasn't ready yet, and from the untitled videos he can play guitar (metallica) and other stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if he contributes more than we know.  Also hope that Ilan gets to write some shit, just so it would be different if anything.

Also I doubt David has much creativity at all and Matt either, aside from a couple bass riffs here and there. Tom would know that Ilan can actually contribute a lot more than those guys. Still doubt he'll let him, but there's more of a chance than before.

Matt comes up and plays all the piano parts - he's brought AVA to a different level instrumentally with such things as piano and as well as a lot more musical theory and electronically. According to Tom, at least. Matt majored in musical studies in Uni I believe.