What do you think is the greatest gaming franchise?

M!ke

With the arrival of Mario's 25th birthday, I feel like this is a time like no other to discuss what you feel is the greatest video game franchise (so far).

Prior to stating my opinion, I want to say that Mario is probably the greatest platforming franchise in video game history, and if each forthcoming game continues to impress in the ways that Galaxy and Galaxy 2 have, then I have no doubt that it will hold that title for years and years to come.

but do I think its the greatest gaming franchise?  No, its definitely in my top 3, maybe even top 2, but my favorite video game series to date has got to be:

The Legend Of Zelda

I mean these games are just so immersive, puzzling, and simply put: epic, with 14 core titles and a 15th on the way, I've played them all and I love them all and find myself revisiting them time and time again.  It doesn't matter the format either, 3d, overhead, and even the side scrolling Zelda II, every game has delivered, and when you beat each one, there is a feeling of accomplishment that few other games have matched.  (side note: the CD-I Zeldas do not count for obvious reasons, they are terrible, but no one considers them a part of the series cannon, and rightfully so, Nintendo had nothing to do with them, Phillips just had the rights to make them due to the fall through of their joint effort to create a disc based system)

But thats just my opinion, what do you think is the greatest video game series?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was disappointed with Super Mario Galaxy 2, WAAAY too linear and I was not impressed with the format that resembled Super Mario world rather than any of the previous 3d mario games.  Having said that they did make some astonishing levels and on that front they totally blew me away.

I was disappointed with Super Mario Galaxy 2, WAAAY too linear and I was not impressed with the format that resembled Super Mario world rather than any of the previous 3d mario games.  Having said that they did make some astonishing levels and on that front they totally blew me away.

Not to get too off topic, but I think you'll probably have to get used to the overview maps as opposed to the hub worlds in the 3 previous 3d Mario Games.  (Not that Galaxy 2 was completely without a hub world, the starship acted similarly to one, though considerably smaller), They've stated that they feel the map way is actually easier to use and more accessible due to the feedback they got back from New Super Mario Bros Wii.  Heck it could change back, we'll have to wait for whatever the next 3d Mario and whenever that will be to know for sure, but at this point I think they're gonna be using the map view for a while for better or for worse.

basically anything by blizzard.

Elder Scrolls, Call of duty

they have all been great series in there own ways but so many come under the category. Certainly Mario has been the most lastable.

Zelda to me has trailed off lately. The first DS one was good the second seemed like a direct copy, Twilight to me was a let down.

basically anything by blizzard.

Elder Scrolls, Call of duty

they have all been great series in there own ways but so many come under the category. Certainly Mario has been the most lastable.

Zelda to me has trailed off lately. The first DS one was good the second seemed like a direct copy, Twilight to me was a let down.

Meh, the DS games were not my favorites by any means, but I still enjoyed them, having said that, I'd say the best handheld Zeldas, were the first 3 (the GB and GBC Zelda games), and its not like using the same engine in Zelda games hasn't worked before (as evidenced by not only those original Gameboy Zeldas, but also Ocarina and Majora's Mask, so the two DS Zelda's being similar doesn't bother me by any means).  Twilight wasn't my favorite either, but fuck it was still an awesome and dark game (though I'd say Majora was definitely the darkest to date)

I haven't gone past Majora's Mask in terms of Zelda games (besides some Game Boy game where there were two different versions of it, forget what it was called). Anyways, the "Windwaker" look to Zelda games really put me off them, I hated how cartoonish it was compared to the older stuff. I never got around playing any other games, and I'm not sure if I really want to. Orcarina of Time was just to damn good of a memory to taint the whole series, absolute favorite game.