Battlefield 3 - most realistic game to date?

Meltdown Tracker

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how was the weapon selection for the Civil War?

I'm guessing that would be a big deal for many.

Well history could be fudged a little bit, but rifles, revolvers, shotguns, gatling guns, and mortors could all be used. As well as melee combat (bayonets and straight up knifing).

I'd love a first person WWI game.

Yeah, that would be awesome too. Horses vs. machine guns and tanks would be fun. And gnarly trench knifing.

And even though tons of WW2 games have already been released, I'm still waiting for one that does it right. These FPS games focus too much on stealthy side missions. I want full blown war action. Seems like the Normandy invasion is the only thing they've recreated perfectly.

I guess the gaming companies think that if they make a historically relevant game then all the video game nerds won't like it. It always has to be some macho undercover side story.

There was a civil war game on Xbox a few years ago, it was funded by the History channel I believe lol.

51Qjcw2Mw-L._AA300_.jpg

And a WW1 game would suck (in my opinion).  Trench warfare isn't very appealing, military technology was pretty bad (planes only dropped a few bombs and then they had to land to replenish; guns took longer to reload and weren't as dangerous).  It could make for an interesting horror/suspense game or an RTS, but the lack of interest during that era wouldn't translate well for a mindless shooter.

lol I've seen that game before. I've always assumed it's a pile of shit.

And I disagree about WW1. The fact that everyone was adjusting to the technology would make it pretty interesting, imo. Kind of like the Civil War...Since no one had adjusted to the technology, it resulted in millions and millions of deaths.

Basically I'm just asking for a historically accurate game that captures the epic nature of war without relying on some macho dude cussing his way through random special missions.

I can't wait for BC3 to rape COD and destroy it once and for all. I hate those activision retards.

The problem with such an expectation is that in order for that to be fulfilled, BC3 would have to be made easy like CoD. This is why the series is so popular; anyone can do well. I for one would not want BF to go down that road.

I can't wait for BC3 to rape COD and destroy it once and for all. I hate those activision retards.

The problem with such an expectation is that in order for that to be fulfilled, BC3 would have to be made easy like CoD. This is why the series is so popular; anyone can do well. I for one would not want BF to go down that road.

You're absolutely right. Still I would love to see activision go down in flames though.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

According to a Japanese promotional poster for Battlefield 3, DICE's massive shooter will be shipping on two DVD discs when it launches in a couple of months time. That's assuming that the poster is indeed correct, and of course it's entirely possible that it could be a printing error.

That said, given the large-scale battlefields and that labour-intensive Frostbite 2 Engine, it could be that DICE is struggling to cram Battlefield 3 onto a single disc. It's entirely possible that one disc will accommodate the single-player campaign, while the second DVD will be home to the multiplayer.

If it enables DICE to push the game's visuals and size, then we're fine with the game being spread across two DVDs, just as long as the disc swapping is kept to a minimum. Battlefield 3 is out on October 25th in North America and October 28th in Europe.

[Via Kotaku]

People buying this on consoles are missing out.

24 players compared to 64 on PC.

yeah, i wish i had a wicked computer to run all these cool games. Its too costly to keep it up whereas with an xbox you know the games are catered to the hardware. Plus all my friends use it.

• 3 weeks later...