1. 1. Up All Night......love or hate?

• love
    • hate
    • grower

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to continue to revisit this, but it's not that great of a song.

DIe hard fans love it no matter what. But the general public isn't going to go crazy for this song.

My sister, one  of my friends, my GF, and my cousin are casual Blink fans and none were impressed.

I've noticed a mix. I'd say about 60% of the casual Blink fans I know (some being very casual who only like a few songs) like it but know a few which don't.

In all honesty, I think blink could have come up with a better "come back" single.

This single screams boxcar racer and ava... I really don't hear any blink in it at all, besides Mark singing. There has been sooo many posts since last Thursday when it came out- I have also been away from the computer for 5 days, so reading everything is impossible. However, Mark was on XM radio (alt nation) and he said that UAN was written within 4 days of the band getting back together... when Tom was still knee deep in AvA. I think with Tom being so immersed in his other band, most of it came out into this song.

And as someone else posted, Tom did leak the intro a year and a half ago... so nothing really has changed since then. I also found it very interesting how the MTV self-titled album launch video shows almost the identical song being played between the guys in 2003. Ridiculous.

I don't know, I guess I'm just hoping the rest of the album doesn't sound like this first single.

Yeah, so either Mark totally forgot it was written in 2003, or he just lied. Wonder why it was shelved back then, or if they even  had time to finish it.

I'm bet all they came up with in 2003 was the rough riff and they just went no further with it.

Yeah, so either Mark totally forgot it was written in 2003, or he just lied. Wonder why it was shelved back then, or if they even  had time to finish it.

I'm bet all they came up with in 2003 was the rough riff and they just went no further with it.

Or the song was kinda finished in 2003 but just didn't make the album for whatever reason..

Or the song was kinda finished in 2003 but just didn't make the album for whatever reason..

lol that would suck if they'd come up with an old b-side as their comeback single

well tom just played fragments of the intro riff. musicians always have riffs in the back of their head.

there are some riffs that i've been playing for 5 years but never could work them into a song. so maybe in two years?!

who knows.

pretty sure it's the same with this riff

They did it all wrong.

They should have organised it proper and actually had a video to come out with the song,

They did the same with The Rock Show though. First they put the song on blink182.com, I downloaded it and thought it was very underwhelming and cheap. When the video came out a few weeks later, the song blew my mind.

They did it all wrong.

They should have organised it proper and actually had a video to come out with the song,

They did the same with The Rock Show though. First they put the song on blink182.com, I downloaded it and thought it was very underwhelming and cheap. When the video came out a few weeks later, the song blew my mind.

Isn't it strange how music videos have a way of making you like the song more?

Not to continue to revisit this, but it's not that great of a song.

DIe hard fans love it no matter what. But the general public isn't going to go crazy for this song.

My sister, one  of my friends, my GF, and my cousin are casual Blink fans and none were impressed.

Why do you always present your OPINION as if it is a stone cold fact?

You may not like the song, but I know tons of people who love it, including me.

You would have hated anything they released because you're a bitter old man now.

They did it all wrong.

Isn't it strange how music videos have a way of making you like the song more?

Yeah, and not just music videos but the very fact that a song has been singled out as a single.

You would have hated anything they released because you're a bitter old man now.

Why? Because I figure people have a 1st grade education and know the difference between a fact an opinion.

That's not true at all. I wouldn have liked it if it was good. Its not a good song. The riff is some standard uninventive power chords. The melody sucks, the chorus sucks, the production is lacking. It sounds nothing like Blink 182. It's not the least bit catchy, it has no hook, it lacks decent structure, it is not original, it is not edgy. It doesn't leave a lasting impression. Many of these things are needed to make a good song.

About the only good thing I can say for the song is the drums are pretty good. But Travis is a great drummer.

All MY OPINION (just in case you didn't finish the 1st grade).

Drove back to my parents' place and then back to Minneapolis this weekend.  I brought an audiobook with me, but the cd was scratched like crazy, so I mostly listened to my blink mix cd I had made.  And god damn, did Up All Night make that drive enjoyable.  It was a 4 hour drive, but it went by like crazy fast, I listened to Up All Night so many times, learning the words.  I really do love the chorus.  Its super simple, but its also super powerful, at least I think so anyway.  And I really love the subject matter, singing how we all struggle in life in different yet similar ways. 

I remember when I first heard a song was to be titled Up All Night, and thought it would just be a lame Enema like song about partying up all night, or possibly a cool self titled like song about insomnia (which to some extent it still might be), but instead they took it in a completely different direction than I had anticipated, and well frankly I think its very well done, different than any one thing any of them have ever done, and yet encapsulates all the things that they have done separately and together.  I dunno, I just really love it, but for way different reasons than I had originally expected.

Why? Because I figure people have a 1st grade education and know the difference between a fact an opinion.

That's not true at all. I wouldn have liked it if it was good. Its not a good song. The riff is some standard uninventive power chords. The melody sucks, the chorus sucks, the production is lacking. It sounds nothing like Blink 182. It's not the least bit catchy, it has no hook, it lacks decent structure, it is not original, it is not edgy. It doesn't leave a lasting impression. Many of these things are needed to make a good song.

About the only good thing I can say for the song is the drums are pretty good. But Travis is a great drummer.

My feelings on the song summed up perfectly  :| I was pretty sad when it came out, hoping the album will be better, but won't be surprised if it isn't.

First grade taught me that when you give an opinion you should probably use first person because otherwise you'll sound like an arrogant, know-it-all cunt.