Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 8

m-rad

Fair enough, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, you stated why Always Sunny doesn't do it for ya, and I stated why Seinfeld just doesn't do much for me anymore.

It really depends on the episode of IASIP. Some are amazing, some are terrible or average. I have a very frustrated relationship with the show.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now see this is what I mean with larry and people getting on him for shit. The parking over the line and the chat and cut. Things i totally would hate and would call people out on, yet i'd look like a dick. Meanwhile those people are being inconsiderate. Thats why i love larry, honest guy.

Speaking as someone raised on Seinfeld, and who's seen every episode at least 5 to 10 times, I stand by my opinion that Always Sunny is a much better show.  Its the same type of structure, you have these incredibly vein characters that get in ridiculous situations and things always end up coming full circle usually to bite the characters in the ass.  Its not an original premise, but its so much more enthralling to me than Seinfeld is.  Maybe thats because Seinfeld has become stale for me, and maybe its because you don't have the live studio audience (something that I really can't stand anymore, especially the early episodes when they would go crazy when Kramer would enter Jerry's apartment... ugh).  And frankly, I just feel like Seinfeld hasn't quite stood the test of time, I mean its still a great show, but people used to hold it on such a high pedestal, but frankly the quality of tv shows have improved significantly over the past decade or so, and Seinfeld would almost just be another show if it were around today, I wouldn't even consider it the best comedy currently on TV like it was back then, I think I would give that honor to Community.  Also, the fact that Jerry really can't act all that well, doesn't help its quality after all these years.

I'm not saying its a bad show, its still quite funny, but I'm looking at Seinfeld critically, and I just don't regard it in the same way that I used to when I was growing up on it.

I'm just going to have to disagree with you there. I grew up on Seinfeld during it's original run. I also became a huge IASIP when season two started and the show got a lot better. With IASIP, I've grown very tired of it's formula and I'll take a rerun of Seinfeld over a new episode of IASIP any day of the week. While IASIP is an above average comedy and has had some brilliant episodes, it never had the impact or brevity that Seinfeld had and still retains still to this day. Seinfeld lasted for 9 years. that's almost 200 episodes compared to It's Always Sunny's...what? 65-70 currently? That means the show would have to be on the air for 8 or 10 more years to even catch up to Seinfeld. Considering how IASIP has been running out of steam the past few years, it probably won't make it past season 7.

Seinfeld changed the game. It was a pioneer for sitcoms and was consistantly great and applauded for it's smart writing and acting throughout it's run. While IASIP has been hit or miss for the past three or four years and it's never been as smart or a well crafted as Seinfeld. Also, IASIP is very predictable and has gone from refreshingly realistic to basically not at all. Notice how every character YELLS AT EACH OTHER AND RAISES THEIR VOICE TO ARGUE AN ABSURD POIINT? Yeah, that got old around season 4. So did the chracters announcing the title of the episode in the cold opening. That's probably the most obvious runner that's really lost it's muster. While Seinfeld did somewhat the same thing (angry george, elaine's total disdain over everbody), it at least made sense for the characters to evolve and transform after years. In cases like Elaine who was slightly maturer than he male cohorts, and George had been through a death he was glad, moved in with his parents, etc. It all made sense. While in the case of IASIP, characters like Frank and Dee have become more and more flexable and flimsy to the point that you can't even be sure if they were even the same characters.

Yes, the characters of Seinfeld and IASIP are terrible, self-involved, assholes. But IASIP's characters have lost their attempt to preserve their social standings or to ever be decent human beings. Jerry Sienfeld would never sleep with George Costanza's mother and then brag about it. It just isn't even the same league. Dennis and Dee don't care if society thinks they are rotten people. Jerry and Elaine do. Also, the comedy of the shows are very very different. Also, Seinfeld never broek the forth wall or traveled in time, which IASIP has done once or twice for an episode or two. Also, the reality is once again very flexable (for example, the episode that Dennis and Dee go on welfare).

I just think the shows are miles away from each other. They have some similar quirks, but that's about where it ends.

Yep totally agree. Seinfeld has definitely stood the test of time, Mike I don't know what you're talking about.. the humour is much more universal and timeless than always sunny, which is definitely targeted for a certain population and age group and the humour always reflects that (some sort of middle class white college boy humour), which is good but it's definitely more of a niche than a timeless classic. Also, Community is a terrible show, why does everybody like that corny piece of shit series.

Great episode last night.

@Supervic, whats not to get?  Seinfeld has gotten old to me, maybe if all the episodes were new to me, I'd feel different, but I've seen them all so many times, that they just don't seem as great to me as they once did, Always Sunny is still very fresh.  On top of that, tv comedies with laugh tracks/live studio audiences are distracting and frankly less entertaining to me than comedies where there aren't cues to laugh, you're just left to appreciate the humor on your own, it seems far more honest to me.  And really, Jerry's "acting" has always been very meh, watching it now, there are a lot of moments of just really bad acting if you ask me. 

But as I said, I still enjoy the show and laugh at it quite a bit, it just isn't as great a show as I once remembered it being.  I'm sure if I were to see every episode of Always Sunny as many times as I have Seinfeld I would feel differently, but that will take quite a while to happen.

Great episode last night.

@Supervic, whats not to get?  Seinfeld has gotten old to me, maybe if all the episodes were new to me, I'd feel different, but I've seen them all so many times, that they just don't seem as great to me as they once did, Always Sunny is still very fresh.  On top of that, tv comedies with laugh tracks/live studio audiences are distracting and frankly less entertaining to me than comedies where there aren't cues to laugh, you're just left to appreciate the humor on your own, it seems far more honest to me.  And really, Jerry's "acting" has always been very meh, watching it now, there are a lot of moments of just really bad acting if you ask me. 

But as I said, I still enjoy the show and laugh at it quite a bit, it just isn't as great a show as I once remembered it being.  I'm sure if I were to see every episode of Always Sunny as many times as I have Seinfeld I would feel differently, but that will take quite a while to happen.

Well, it's hard to argue against the fact that if you watch anything that many times, it'd get old. For always sunny though, alot of the humour was in the ridiculousness or the absurdity of things that happen, but I mean that would get old too if you watched it more than a couple times. Oh well, to each his own. It is funny though how in this weeks episode, Ricky Gervais made a comment about the laugh track in Seinfeld to Larry David  :lol: