The Zelda Thread

Cheerios4u98

We needed a thread to talk about Zelda in.

Easily my favorite video game franchise of all time, by a longshot (lol get it? It's a Zelda pun. lolololol). The N64 games are my favorite, with Majora's Mask just barely one-upping (lol Nintendo reference. I hate all these accidental puns I'm making) Ocarina of Time as my favorite game of all time.

This petition was just barely started to have Majora's Mask remade like Ocarina of Time was. Go sign it!

http://www.petitiononline.com/OpMnfall/petition.html

In other news, I want a giant version of this picture framed in my house:

tumblr_lihmo6cfM41qai0h7o1_500.jpg

I can tell you right now I will be coming back to this thread many many many times.  I don't think there is a stronger and more meaningful video game series around, and doubt there ever will be.  Just signed the petition, OOT on the 3DS was amazing, but I always liked Majora's Mask more, its by far the darkest Zelda in the series, very unconventional, and pretty confusing as well, but so rewarding when you figure out what you should have been doing.

Anyway, looking to the future, Skyward Sword I think looks phenomenal, it seems like a nice change of pace for the series, and looks like there might actually be a bit of a romance between Link and Zelda this time (she's also not a princess this time).

Also, this fall we'll get the gba version of 4-Swords as a free download in the DSiware, meaning you can play it on your DSi or 3DS and be able to link up wirelessly, freaking awesome!

I can tell you right now I will be coming back to this thread many many many times.  I don't think there is a stronger and more meaningful video game series around, and doubt there ever will be.  Just signed the petition, OOT on the 3DS was amazing, but I always liked Majora's Mask more, its by far the darkest Zelda in the series, very unconventional, and pretty confusing as well, but so rewarding when you figure out what you should have been doing.

I love how dark and eerie the entire game is. I hope someday Nintendo makes another Zelda game with the same type of feel. Whether it's a direct sequel to Majora's Mask, or a totally unrelated standalone game (however a sequel or at least another game that deals with Majora or Termina would make me absolutely ecstatic). Either way, I loved the atmosphere Majora's Mask had.

I'm super excited about Skyward Sword after this past E3. Up until then, I honestly wasn't really looking forward to it. It just looked like Twilight Princess to me, only potentially worse. However, after this past E3, I think it looks amazing. I can't wait to play it!

I love how dark and eerie the entire game is. I hope someday Nintendo makes another Zelda game with the same type of feel. Whether it's a direct sequel to Majora's Mask, or a totally unrelated standalone game (however a sequel or at least another game that deals with Majora or Termina would make me absolutely ecstatic). Either way, I loved the atmosphere Majora's Mask had.

I'm super excited about Skyward Sword after this past E3. Up until then, I honestly wasn't really looking forward to it. It just looked like Twilight Princess to me, only potentially worse. However, after this past E3, I think it looks amazing. I can't wait to play it!

as much as i love OoT, i enjoyed Majoras 4x more

as much as i love OoT, i enjoyed Majoras 4x more

I agree. I can't even put my finger on why, but there's just something about it that's more enjoyable. Actually, I can say that at least part of the reason is all the side quests Majora's Mask had. Completing the Bomber's Notebook and collecting all the masks was just so much fun. Plus other things like trying to collect all the faeries in each temple. I also really liked the clock system, and having certain events occur at certain times of the day. I'd love it if that was brought back in a future Zelda game. Not with a three day limit, but just having an ongoing clock throughout the game would be cool.

I can tell you right now I will be coming back to this thread many many many times.  I don't think there is a stronger and more meaningful video game series around, and doubt there ever will be.  Just signed the petition, OOT on the 3DS was amazing, but I always liked Majora's Mask more, its by far the darkest Zelda in the series, very unconventional, and pretty confusing as well, but so rewarding when you figure out what you should have been doing.

What about a game way way earlier in the timeline that has to do with the tribe that used the mask for its hexing rituals and the evil that it brought around back then, surely the mask is capable of more than just bringing down the moon, you could have it as Link's goal to ultimately infiltrate the tribe and seal the mask away.  I would love that.

Another idea I've always had for a Zelda game is one where you play as two Link's (but not simulaneously, like after you beat one dungeon, you then play as the other Link), and each link exists in the opposite timeline, and at some point there is like a ruin where you have to merge/converge both the timelines, and ultimately both Links.  I just envision this cutscene where both Links are putting their hand onto some magical Rock thats almost like a mirror at the same time in each universe, and then they clasp their hands together through the rock, and both worlds just start shaking like crazy, and you see the two Links fusing into one, while screaming out of shock and even some pain.  After that point in the game, things that were only apparent in one universe are now in the shared universe, Link would have the items that both had gathered.  I think that would be a badass element for a Zelda game.

Zelda is just an amazing series. OoT is still my favorite game of all time. MM is a worthy sequel, but never beat OoT's vastness and initial wow factor. I beat the Master Quest a few years ago and it's still just a splendid adventure. The music is probably the most brilliant of any game I can think of. I wish they did something special like they did for MM for a new Zelda, as Skyword Sword looks....not that interesting.

Anyway, this song still gives me chills.

Also the commercials for MM were great.

What about a game way way earlier in the timeline that has to do with the tribe that used the mask for its hexing rituals and the evil that it brought around back then, surely the mask is capable of more than just bringing down the moon, you could have it as Link's goal to ultimately infiltrate the tribe and seal the mask away.  I would love that.

Another idea I've always had for a Zelda game is one where you play as two Link's (but not simulaneously, like after you beat one dungeon, you then play as the other Link), and each link exists in the opposite timeline, and at some point there is like a ruin where you have to merge/converge both the timelines, and ultimately both Links.  I just envision this cutscene where both Links are putting their hand onto some magical Rock thats almost like a mirror at the same time in each universe, and then they clasp their hands together through the rock, and both worlds just start shaking like crazy, and you see the two Links fusing into one, while screaming out of shock and even some pain.  After that point in the game, things that were only apparent in one universe are now in the shared universe, Link would have the items that both had gathered.  I think that would be a badass element for a Zelda game.

Those are both cool ideas. I wonder if they're ever going to try and fix the whole split timeline issue. I'm sure they could figure out some way to make it work involving the goddess of time or something. haha.

And oh my gosh I completely forgot about the Majora's Mask commercials! Wow everything about that game is so creepy. Haha

As great as Majora's Mask is, I feel like its somewhat underrated, like a lot of people just think that OOT was the better game since it was first and was more groundbreaking at the time (play mechanics and pushing the capabilities of the N64 at the time).  But its just so freaking awesome, watching those commercials just reconfirmed that for me.  I think what I like most about the game is that after you've beaten it, next to no one in the town will have had any idea that you did anything, and they just believe the moon was never going to fall after all, it makes you a hero but one that no one is going to celebrate.  Which is an equally dark and sad thought.

I can never decide if this is my favorite series, or if it's Metroid, Mario, or Metal Gear. It's definitely up there anyway.

The only game in the series that I haven't been able to get into was the Adventure of Link. The battles are annoying and the rest of game is just boring.

Playing through Majora's Mask and Four Swords Adventures for the first time now. I like Majora's Mask a lot, but one thing I don't like is the save system. I'm actually fine with the Song of Time save mechanic and the 72 hour limit and all that. The one thing that bugs me about it is that when you boot up an owl save, it deletes the save. Aside from my own preferences about saving in games, that aspect of the save system can potentially cause objectively bad things like hours of lost progress if the game freezes or the power goes out before you get to save.

I don't feel like I'm being too picky. Not deleting the owl saves wouldn't actually change the way you play the game at all.

The rest of the game is really really great though. Even better in many ways than Ocarina.

I'm planning to play the Oracle games next if I can get my hands on them for a good price.

I've beat:

Link's Awakening

A Link to the Past

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

WindWaker

Twilight Princess

I think my favorite (outside of Ocarina of Time, of course) was Link to the Past.

I've beat:

Zelda

A Link To The Past

Link's Awakening (DX)

Ocarina of Time (as well as 3D, working on Master Quest now)

Majora's Mask

Oracle of Ages

Oracle of Seasons

The Linked Oracle ending

Windwaker

Four Swords (GBA)

Twilight Princess

Phantom Hourglass

Spirit Tracks

I've still yet to beat:

The Adventure of Link (its so different, but I do like the RPG like elements)

Minish Cap (was at the end but my save file accidentally was deleted, finding it hard to remotivate myself into playing it all the way through again)

Four Swords Adventures (play it a little in my spare time, its fun but I wish I had buddies that still had their gbas and gamecube to gba link cable so we could play the way its meant to be multiplayer).

The CD-i games don't count.

I agree that the saving system in Majora's Mask is one major downfall of the game. Still my favorite though. Let's see if I can rememer the one's I've beaten...

A Link To The Past

Ocarina of Time

Majora's Mask

Oracle of Seasons

The Wind Waker

The Minish Cap

Four Swords Adventures

Twilight Princess

I feel like I'm missing one or two.

In Link's Awakening I got stuck in the second to last dungeon and then eventually my save file got erased. I was so frustrated :P I'll definitely play it again someday though, because I absolutely loved every minute of it up until I got stuck. I honestly have no idea why I haven't finished Ages yet.