Did Blink sell out?

ManchesterAdam

Right, I occasionally see stuff on the internet by people claiming that Blink sold out after Dude Ranch and it's always really annoyed me cause I completely disagree and now people on this Facebook group ("That popcorn guy on crack in the Dammit music video") are saying it and I've ended up in a bit of a Facebook argument over it (I'm cool like that). Here's what I wrote to say that they aren't sell outs:

They changed their drummer and producer, they were always gonna change a bit. Also, Cheshire Cat, Buddah and Dude Ranch were barely punk when you think about proper punk bands like Operation Ivy, Sex Pistols etc. They were more like the earlier stages of pop-punk in my opinion. And yeah, ATST is very poppy. Also, blink still class themselves as a Punk-Rock band so whether you agree with that or not, blink still see themselves as punk. But for me, blink are one of few bands which have never sold out.

I know some people might disagree with what I just said but I really couldn't arsed going too detailed, I just wanted to tell them they were wrong.

So what does everyone else think about Blink "selling out"?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there ever was a time that blink sold out it was AFTER Enema imo. Parts of TOYPAJ were obviously written by the labels request.

I still wouldn't consider it a sell out though. And they certainly aren't sellouts now.

If there ever was a time that blink sold out it was AFTER Enema imo. Parts of TOYPAJ were obviously written by the labels request.

Yep, always saw TOYPAJ as a bit of a sellout myself. But that's as far as them being sellouts goes. Edit: And they did write the entire album themselves so it's not like they do what the label tells them to (well, The Rock Show and First Date were requested).

is there proof out there that the label requested songs like rock show and first date or is that just speculation? :?

I'm pretty sure that they turned in the album with the TOYPAJ bonus songs. The label wanted a couple more radio friendly, teeny songs so they wrote Rock Show and First Date.

There's proof somewhere, but they don't put it all in such blunt terms.

I'd say they sold out right after Enema, the MT&T show album was released to take advantage of their sudden boom in popularity. Who knows how "live" it even was, seems more like "live in the studio."

With TOYPAJ, yeah they definitely did. They released 3 versions of the album with different bonus tracks, and clean versions of those 3 bonus cds as well!

It depends on what you define sellout as.

If you define it as: "Anyone who sacrifices artistic integrity in an effort to become more successful or popular".

Well of course Blink 182 sold out. CMON! I am not sure if it was after Dude Ranch though. I think a lot of the sound change had to do with Travis. Once TOYPAJ hit though, absolutely. Tom was 25 when he wrote "First date". Mark was nearly 30 year old when TOYPAJ came out. Enough said.

Of course If you define selling out as" I am a blink 182 fanboy and I will never think anything bad of them no matter how much evidence I get".

No, they didn't sellout.

The concept of "selling out" is ridiculous. You mean they did something that made them more popular and successful?! GASP.

Yeah, First Date and Rock Show were encouraged by the label...But one of them ended up being one of their most recognizable tracks and the other one of their most recognizable videos. tough to argue that.

i don't see them as being sellouts. i mean, they got more fans, they evolved they're sound as they grew up (even though every record has been the same 4 chord pop-punk), it was their intention to make it big and have their music heard by as many people as they could.

you know who sold out? KISS. they're a rock'n'roll/heavy metal band... and they released a fucking disco record because that's what was popular at the time.

I don't necessarily think that just because of songs like rock show and first date they sold out. I mean, it's only song topic. If I wrote a song about going to the moon, although that is not my current situation, would that be selling out?

Of course a label is going to want singles, they're investing in artists to make money. They're not going to move something if they don't think it's going to sell, and of course one major way to push albums is singles.

To me, selling out is putting your face on products that would normally have nothing to do with what you're recognized for. When artists put out fragrances or have constant advertising in their videos, yeah that's a little more towards the side selling out. Of course, everyone does it when you hit a certain level of fame. It's just too lucrative of an opportunity not to. However, I think I pepsi bottle sitting on an amp, for example, isn't too much to ask.

I'd say they sold out right after Enema, the MT&T show album was released to take advantage of their sudden boom in popularity. Who knows how "live" it even was, seems more like "live in the studio."

With TOYPAJ, yeah they definitely did. They released 3 versions of the album with different bonus tracks, and clean versions of those 3 bonus cds as well!

Just about every CD with a PA on it has a clean version.  Also is it selling out when I band release vinyl in multiple colors because collectors will want them all?

To me, selling out is putting your face on products that would normally have nothing to do with what you're recognized for. When artists put out fragrances or have constant advertising in their videos, yeah that's a little more towards the side selling out.

I don't see how that qualifies as selling out. Maybe if they hated the products they're advertising but otherwise it's just a gig to make some extra cash and it could be fun anyway. Putting your face on a Pepsi bottle doesn't really compromise your "artistic integrity" in any way.

To me, selling out is putting your face on products that would normally have nothing to do with what you're recognized for. When artists put out fragrances or have constant advertising in their videos, yeah that's a little more towards the side selling out.

I don't see how that qualifies as selling out. Maybe if they hated the products they're advertising but otherwise it's just a gig to make some extra cash and it could be fun anyway. Putting your face on a Pepsi bottle doesn't really compromise your "artistic integrity" in any way.

I agree with you. And most of the time the ads or product placement in videos is to PAY for the video. "Selling out" is such a stupid phrase and idea. When you're a successful musician you make enough money just making new music and touring, anything else is for the fans, a way to reach out to their fans, something fun for them, etc..