HEARTS ALL GONE

Fishguts182

As much as I love this song - the more I compare it to their older stuff or even bcr, the more I get the feeling they shouldn't have produced it themselves. It just sounds sooo raw. Some might say this is a good thing, but only to a certain point. This has almost a demo feel to it..

They produced Another Girl, Another Planet, and all of When Your Heart Stops Beating.  I have no complaints at all about the production quality of those recordings.  So either this song is meant to sound as raw as it does, or it is indeed an early mix of the song, and they're going to provide the final mixes on the actual album (this is what happened with Violence).

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love this song - the more I compare it to their older stuff or even bcr, the more I get the feeling they shouldn't have produced it themselves. It just sounds sooo raw. Some might say this is a good thing, but only to a certain point. This has almost a demo feel to it..

Again, how do we know it isn't a demo?

They produced Another Girl, Another Planet, and all of When Your Heart Stops Beating.  I have no complaints at all about the production quality of those recordings.  So either this song is meant to sound as raw as it does, or it is indeed an early mix of the song, and they're going to provide the final mixes on the actual album (this is what happened with Violence).

Actually, Jerry Finn produced When your heart stops beating.

I think they should have used a producer. You can feel that Jerry Finn is missing.

I think they should have used a producer. You can feel that Jerry Finn is missing.

ah, you're right, for some reason I had it in my head that Mark and Travis produced WYHSB.

Regardless, AGAP was produced by only Mark, Tom, and Travis, and frankly it sounds on par with anything found on self titled, so with that in mind, I still stand by my thought that they know what they're doing here, and its meant to sound this raw, or it is indeed an early mix and the final version will be on the actual album.

ah, you're right, for some reason I had it in my head that Mark and Travis produced WYHSB.

Regardless, AGAP was produced by only Mark, Tom, and Travis, and frankly it sounds on par with anything found on self titled, so with that in mind, I still stand by my thought that they know what they're doing here, and its meant to sound this raw, or it is indeed an early mix and the final version will be on the actual album.

Yeah! AGAP sounds really good and i guess they know what they are doing. They do have a lot of musical experience in their backpack

Wow. Why can't you people realize that the song is SUPPOSED to sound raw. It was obviously underproduced so it would sound more like a Dude Ranch song.

UAN doesn't sound anything like this, production-wise, because its a single and it is a progressive blink song, not a 90s throwback.

Seriously annoying reading some of this shit. If its not one thing, its another. Its not me being a fanboy, its you guys being overcritical bastards. Just relax for a minute and appreciate things for what they are.

Wow. Why can't you people realize that the song is SUPPOSED to sound raw.

There's really nothing to be gained by sounding raw (production-wise) except for maybe the admiration of those lame punk elitist tools who don't listen to anything that's well produced.

There's really nothing to be gained by sounding raw (production-wise) except for maybe the admiration of those lame punk elitist tools who don't listen to anything that's well produced.

The goal was obviously to sound like Dude Ranch. success.

There's nothing wrong with an intentionally raw production. In fact selftitled was really raw compared to enema and toypaj. But it was still mainstream quality work. This one sounds rather cheap then supposed to be raw. Well cheap is a bit harsh. But you know what I mean. We'll have to get used to it and that's ok. But it's not reprehensible to criticise the production on this one.

So everyone whines about shit sounding AVA and overproduced, and now they release a DUDE RANCH style song with raw production and everyone cries??

It was on purpose. Chris Holmes even tweeted that he was interested in hearing what people think about it. It's a deep album cut that's trying to sound like old blink. Just leave it be. The production would be the last thing I'd complain about in a song like this.

people crying about people crying is just as annoying, if not moreso.  The production quality sounds fine, it very clearly is supposed to sound the way it does, especially when you compare it to Up All Night.  And again, who is to say that this is the final version, we got early versions of Feeling This and Violence that both changed somewhat in production quality when the final versions were released.

But even if that isn't the case, it seems pretty clear that they know what they're doing, this and Up All Night have different sounding production qualities, if this album is flowing, then it probably goes from one extreme to another, but by means of stepping stone songs in terms of production quality, like songs with production quality somewhere between this and Up All Night, building up between the two songs.  What I'm saying is, to complain now seems stupid, once we hear the album, these songs may flow in a very logical way sound and quality wise.

I agree with Ghent. Who cares about the production of this one.

:roll:

People keep acting like Tom doesn't like this type of music anymore, or has changed WAY too much or something...

WATCH THIS INTERVIEW PEOPLE! It will change your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w12cozLJCH4#ws

In case you don't want to watch the whole thing I will quote him...

2:15

"It just seemed like we needed to get back together."

8:00

"If you really love music, It doesn't matter how old you are when you hear it, it takes you right back, I listen to punk rock before I play. Ill play bad religion ill play NOFX, descendents. It brings me right back to when I was like 17 and I wanted to break shit. Playing blink songs makes me feel that same way."

HE STILL LOVES THIS TYPE OF MUSIC PEOPLE.

People keeps saying this song reminds them of Bad Religion. Well...Tom still likes bad religion so maybe he had more to do with it than people realize.

Anyways, I urge everyone to watch the WHOLE interview.

Tom knows what hes doing.

I haven't actually even heard the song yet so I don't know how badly/well produced it is. But I obviously wouldn't want it to sound like their old (pre-EotS) material in terms of production quality. As I said, it'd be pointless not to make a song sound as good as possible. For example, I think the difference between the badly produced Dude Ranch version of Dammit and the better-produced version on Greatest Hits is considerable.

In fact selftitled was really raw compared to enema and toypaj.

Eh, there isn't a single bit there that sounds raw.

You know there's a reason I constantly cry about production issues. I know quite a bit on that topic. And ST was compared to their former releases not your average mainstream poppunk production. It had intentionally edgier sounds on it but in a planned and VERY very quality way (well apart from I Miss You maybe ;-) ). Just compare TOYPAJ to ST you'll know what I mean.

Not gonna fight on this one. It's simply a fact and that record is probably my favorite production ever. So that may be why I'm so overcritical here.