Anxiety>UAN

shawna

I know it was mentioned the day the movie came out. I have been listening to Anxiety again recently and I keep wondering "what if". The song blows "Up All Night" out of the water when it comes to quality. UAN was way to much all over the place and had no chance out of the gate at appealing to the mainstream audiences. The only reason Up All Night did even remotely well was it having the title "Blink 182's FIRST NEW SONG IN YEARS" stamped on it.

I feel like Tom is holding back his best work for AVA so they can stay relevant. If Blink had released this as there first single I think it could of done amazingly  well on the charts. Tom actually sounds on point and like his old voice in the song. Just imagine how great it would of been if they added a little Blink twist and changed the song around.

You have KROQ come on with the world premiere and we get "Anxiety" instead of "Up All Night". I can say that people would of been giving a thousand times more praise towards a Blink 182 altered Anxiety compared to Up All Night. I think Blink was dumb in general releasing Up All Night as the premiere song. They wanted to make the fans happy and give them a song they teased two years earlier.

Ghost on the Dance Floor is all ready a better song by miles. I'm sure that they probably were farther behind on the song as well as mixing and had Up All Night finished. Shit even After Midnight would of probably charted higher then Up All Night.

I still have no fucking clue why they released the song first. Ironically I feel like the biggest low point leading up to the CD's release was the KROQ world premiere for me. Leading up to that moment I thought hearing Blink for the first time was hopefully going to be the most memorable and exciting moment. Thank god we all ready know GOTDF and AM are solid songs, hopefully they can produce half decent mixings and make the songs sound amazing when we hear the studio quality. After hearing Hearts all Gone the quality of the mixing is very iffy to me.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't read because the paragraph hurts my eyes, but to answer the question in the title...

People would be bitching about it sounding too much like AVA.

It's got the AVA delayed intro followed by single strum guitar chords with the keyboards carrying the melody.  It's got the U2 thing going on in the breakdown.  The chorus is the only part that could be blink.

Yeah it's a better song than UAN, but it's not a blink song.  Wouldn't work as well if they tried to adapt it to blink's sound.

I'm glad they released Up All Night as there single because they end up blowing up like Green Day did with American Idiot. God that would make me hate blink and i like the quality the songs sound its not over produced like AVA or the self-titled was. It has that rawish edge to it. Exactly what punk should be.

I didn't even read this. Would it kill you to space things out and make a few paragraphs instead of one giant one.

Lol it takes all of 15 seconds to skim through what I wrote and understand it. I doubt you would of read it either way if I broke it into paragraphs.

Didn't read because the paragraph hurts my eyes, but to answer the question in the title...

It's got the AVA delayed intro followed by single strum guitar chords with the keyboards carrying the melody.  It's got the U2 thing going on in the breakdown.  The chorus is the only part that could be blink.

Yeah it's a better song than UAN, but it's not a blink song.  Wouldn't work as well if they tried to adapt it to blink's sound.

I wrote that in my paragraph that I understand Anxiety now sounds very AVAish. I said what if they altered it and added the Blink 182 style into it and took out the long intro etc. Take away a few effects and the intro and you have a great Blink 182 song.

I know it was mentioned the day the movie came out but seriously, I have been listening to it again recently and I just wonder "what if". The song blows Up All Night out of the water when it comes to quality. Up All Night was to much all over the place and had no chance out of the gate at appealing to the mainstream audiences. The only reason Up All Night even did remotely well was it having the name "Blink 182 NEW SONG IN YEARS" stamped on it. I feel like Tom is holding back his best work for AVA so they stay relevant. If Blink had released this as there first single I think it could of done massively well on the charts. Tom actually sounds amazing and like his old self in the song compared to Up All Night. Just imagine how much better it would of been if they added a little Blink twist and changed the song around, KROQ comes on with the world premiere and we get "Anxiety" instead of "Up All Night". I can say that people would of been giving a thousand times more praise towards a Blink 182 altered Anxiety compared to Up All Night. I think Blink was just stupid in general releasing Up All Night as the premiere song because they wanted to make the fans happy. Ghost on the Dance Floor is all ready a better song by miles but I am sure they probably were farther behind on the song and mixing and had Up All Night done first out of all the songs. Shit even After Midnight would of probably charted better then Up All Night, I still have no fucking clue why they released the song first. Ironically I feel like the biggest low point leading up to the CD's release was the KROQ moment for me, when before that I thought hearing Blink for the first time was going to be probably the most memorable and exciting moment. Thank god we all ready know GOTDF and AM are solid songs, hopefully they can do some half decent mixing and make the songs sound amazing with studio quality. After hearing Hearts all Gone tho and the average quality of that song I have my doubts tho.

i agree.

whilst anxiety is a good AvA song its nothing special really, i like the intro with the piano. The chorus i think blows...

Whilst UAN was very different i still quite enjoyed it, so far both released songs from blink havent blown me out of the water. I like them both but they arent fantastic. I think im looking forward to gotdf most

I wrote that in my paragraph that I understand Anxiety now sounds very AVAish. I said what if they altered it and added the Blink 182 style into it and took out the long intro etc. Take away a few effects and the intro and you have a great Blink 182 song.

But I don't think they could alter it to make it work as well for a blink song as it does for an AVA song.  The keyboard part in the intro makes the song, and that just can't be altered to be a blink song by making it a pop-punk guitar sound or something (how retarded would that be? really retarded).

Besides, this song sounds like it was written piece by piece building on top of each other.  Tom can't just jump ship when he hits a really good blink-esque part (like the chorus) and say "oh, I think this will be a blink-182 song now".  This was clearly designed to be an AVA song, through and through, and there's nothing wrong like that.

Also, your claim that Tom might be holding back good ideas from blink doesn't mesh well with your assertion that GOTDF and AM are good songs.  Tom wrote those too, except they were simply better suited to be blink-182 songs, that's all there is to it.

Ultimately it comes down to this: you like Anxiety more than UAN.  And there's nothing wrong like that, they both exist for your listening pleasure regardless of what band it's used for.  People shouldn't be afraid to like decent AVA songs because blink is around now.

What if I had a lot of money?

I'd be rich.

The question was a very logical hypothetical. The same could of been asked back in the day with "The Adventure". I honestly think Anxiety, just like The Adventure would of been a massive hit if released under the Blink 182 name. Both are gems and will never get the full appreciation. Only reason The Adventure got decent exposure was the fact that it was the first single Tom put out after the break up.

If Blink had released this as there first single I think it could of done amazingly  well on the charts.

Lol, people would have instantly rejected it because it sounds 100% AvA. Think of all the negative comments UAN's pre-chorus got for its apparent AvA influences. If they had released Anxiety as a blink 182 single, this forum would have committed suicide and for a good reason. I personally would have rejected blink.