up all night video !

Mr Hoppus

After watching the video quite a few times. I have to say I think the goal of the video was to just be pure mayhem late at night. Blink wanted to show they are making mature music but still having fun. I think the problem was taking a mid tempo song and making a video that really would of only worked with a more fast paced fun song. Either way the video probably would of worked ok with a different song but I like to see that Blink is never forgetting there past. I really think the video isn't that bad.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this, too. I mean they didn't even have teenagers in any of their selftitled videos..

Ummm, have you seen the "Feeling This" video? It's full of teenagers and it's set in a school.

Yeah, but that was 8 years ago. They could kind of get away with it at that point and it was more stylish. This was just a piece of shit.

:?...I was just correcting that guy's statement about none of videos from the last album having teenagers in them. I said nothing about the quality or suitability of the UAN video.

huh?? it was set in a PRISON and all the actors were at least in their early 20s!

I don't get this, too. I mean they didn't even have teenagers in any of their selftitled videos..

Ummm, have you seen the "Feeling This" video? It's full of teenagers and it's set in a school.

Yeah, but that was 8 years ago. They could kind of get away with it at that point and it was more stylish. This was just a piece of shit.

:?...I was just correcting that guy's statement about none of videos from the last album having teenagers in them. I said nothing about the quality or suitability of the UAN video.

huh?? it was set in a PRISON and all the actors were at least in their early 20s!

prison = metaphor for school.

Ok, fair enough. So you admit that Blink's fanbase from 10 years ago is essentially gone and most who are fans now are new fans. Are you also saying that they create videos for kids instead of for themselves?

That doesn't speak too highly of them.

That is like John Lennon putting on a beatles suit and wig and singing She Loves you in 1980 for the sake of staying relevant with teenagers.

Are you saying this video is irrelevant to kids today?

The Beatle equivalent would be if John Lennon made 80's music in 1980.

Yes, I agree with just about everything you said.

However, I think it is totally possible to keep your original fans as well as get new ones.

Look at Foo Fighters, fans of all ages go to those shows. RHCP, same deal. Tons of bands keep their fans.

I think it says a lot when fans no older than 21 show up to a concert for a band that has been around for 20 years.

That says a HELL of a lot.

That has a lot to do with what Blinks writing about. FF and RHCP, and basically all the big stadium bands write songs about adult/serious themes. Blink only has 1 album with a more mature feel. But Im sure Neighbourhoods will continue that.

no.

I'm confused with the responses of this thread.

Some of you guys (Oliver) complain that Blink are trying too hard to appeal to the younger audience.  I also remember you stating how, when you went to go see them in concert, you felt old and the audience was a lot younger.  Clearly their marketing strategy/direction of the band is working for them.

Most bands and products in general are marketed toward teens.

Just because younger people like them, doesn't mean they are "fake" or in it for the money or any other generic Oliver accusation. People in their 20s and 30s can like the same thing teens like.

If you want to stay relevant, you better attract young people. That goes for almost anything.

And no matter what you say, RHCP and the Foo Fighters ARE going for young fans. RHCP would be dead and gone had they not reinvented themselves to the 90s generation.

Just because the video stars teenagers doesn't mean that it is childish or immature. It's irrelevant what the literal figures are of the characters or the storyline, the point is the feeling, the emotion, and the underlying message of the video. It's like saying that The Catcher in the Rye is immature and was written for a teenybopper audience just because the main character is a teenager. The video and the song is both about angst, it's about dissatisfaction with life, it's about the fact that even after you've grown up you still can't shake that feeling within you that you always had since you were a kid that the world is a fucked up place. It's about staying up all night, and being angry while you're up all night. And that's what the video captures.

All of you guys argue and discuss over the same general points and themes. Everything is argued in terms of some sort of point for or against a marketing strategy or angle. Or it's taking everything way too literally, scrutinizing points that weren't meant to be scrutinized. Or you guys love to argue about whether or not blink has "matured" or not, or whether they are pandering to the teenage audience in order to make money or not, or whatever. I think you guys need to start developing some new scripts, because no matter what the event, all the arguments always boil down to something like that.

But these are all smokescreen arguments that are irrelevant to what's true and consistent at the heart of it. look past the superficial skin of age, and realize that blink 182 will always be about the timelessness of energy, reckless abandon, youthful aspiration, and punk rock angst.. regardless of whether or not the images we see are of a kid, or a teenager, or too cartoony or not, or of mark and tom having a bunch of wrinkles and gaining weight.. who gives a fuck, stop missing the point everybody.

Most bands and products in general are marketed toward teens.

Just because younger people like them, doesn't mean they are "fake" or in it for the money or any other generic Oliver accusation. People in their 20s and 30s can like the same thing teens like.

If you want to stay relevant, you better attract young people. That goes for almost anything.

And no matter what you say, RHCP and the Foo Fighters ARE going for young fans. RHCP would be dead and gone had they not reinvented themselves to the 90s generation.

Exactly. Some of these retards here are too dumb to understand that guys of our age don't have time to sit at home watching MTV all day.

Just because the video stars teenagers doesn't mean that it is childish or immature. It's irrelevant what the literal figures are of the characters or the storyline, the point is the feeling, the emotion, and the underlying message of the video. It's like saying that The Catcher in the Rye is immature and was written for a teenybopper audience just because the main character is a teenager. The video and the song is both about angst, it's about dissatisfaction with life, it's about the fact that even after you've grown up you still can't shake that feeling within you that you always had since you were a kid that the world is a fucked up place. It's about staying up all night, and being angry while you're up all night. And that's what the video captures.

All of you guys argue and discuss over the same general points and themes. Everything is argued in terms of some sort of point for or against a marketing strategy or angle. Or it's taking everything way too literally, scrutinizing points that weren't meant to be scrutinized. Or you guys love to argue about whether or not blink has "matured" or not, or whether they are pandering to the teenage audience in order to make money or not, or whatever. I think you guys need to start developing some new scripts, because no matter what the event, all the arguments always boil down to something like that.

But these are all smokescreen arguments that are irrelevant to what's true and consistent at the heart of it. look past the superficial skin of age, and realize that blink 182 will always be about the timelessness of energy, reckless abandon, youthful aspiration, and punk rock angst.. regardless of whether or not the images we see are of a kid, or a teenager, or too cartoony or not, or of mark and tom having a bunch of wrinkles and gaining weight.. who gives a fuck, stop missing the point everybody.

Yes, The Catcher in The Rye is a book directed at teens. Salinger was a weirdo and wrote that book with teens in mind. Why do they have you read it in high school?

I could relate to that book in high school. But today I just want to shout to Holden "Grow the fuck up!".

I think music should come from the heart. That is just my opinion. I don't think there should be a bit of marketing in music. Tom has made clear that teenaged angst is no longer something he relates to. So making a video about teenaged angst is not genuine. If you are ok with Blink representing something that they are not, that is fine.

I don't think that is the correct way to express yourself artistically.