Neighborhoods Review Thread

iSimon

Mark did confirm in that blinkandyoullmissit thing taht he has recorded guitar on past blink albums, but not close to as much as he did on Neighborhoods.  There is no confirmation on if Tom has or not recorded bass for any songs.  But again, I just question, who cares?  The song is ace and does sound like a blink-182 song, specifically one that could be on Dude Ranch.  And hell when they play it live, Mark isn't the one playing guitar, its Tom.  And furthermore, Tom sings every other line with Mark live.  Studio version might have been a much more solo effort, but live version not at all, which you really can't even say about What Went Wrong? that song is always pure Tom live or studio.  So I dunno, clearly it bothers you, but I find it very endearing.  It does kind of show that if they wanted like Mark said years ago, they could have continued blink without Tom.

All of the vocals on Heart's All Gone are Mark. Just like all of the vocals on MH 4.18.11 and Fighting the Gravity are Mark. The reason it may sound like Tom (although I never heard it as Tom at all) is because he's singing in a higher register than usual.  I'm pretty sure all of the guitars on all three of those tracks are Mark as well. Tom is nowhere to be found on any of the Mark sung tracks. Also, Tom sings on Kaleidoscope, but that's his only contribution to that track. Mark wrote it and plays all of the guitars.

All of the vocals on Heart's All Gone are Mark. Just like all of the vocals on MH 4.18.11 and Fighting the Gravity are Mark. The reason it may sound like Tom (although I never heard it as Tom at all) is because he's singing in a higher register than usual.  I'm pretty sure all of the guitars on all three of those tracks are Mark as well. Tom is nowhere to be found on any of the Mark sung tracks. Also, Tom sings on Kaleidoscope, but that's his only contribution to that track. Mark wrote it and plays all of the guitars.

and why is that? cause you say it? you just throw this in here like you were part of the production without any proof. until someone proofes me wrong I'm 95% sure it's Tom on HAG.

edit: alright I listened again. I'm not 95% sure it's Tom but you REALLY cannot tell who it is. Could be Toms usual voice or Mark singing very high. Although I'd still rather go with Tom.

Take a listen to Apple Shampoo, another song where Mark does all of the vocals. Specifically, pay attention to the background vocals on the "She's so important and I'm so retarded" line. Then listen to the background vocals in Heart's All Gone. Notice the similarity in voice? As I mentioned, it's also Mark doing the higher background vocals on MH 4.18.11. Again, same voice.

Yeah there's no question it's Mark, which is weird to say considering how I never would have thought of it not being Tom only about a day ago.

The dada part in Story of a Lonely Guy is Mark. I can see how someone might think it could be Tom as the very last bit of that part sounds Tomish but otherwise it doesn't sound like something Tom could pull off.

So I dunno, clearly it bothers you, but I find it very endearing.  It does kind of show that if they wanted like Mark said years ago, they could have continued blink without Tom.

I don't agree. Blink without Tom is not blink so HAG is not evidence that the band could have existed without Tom (except in some purely technical sense).

What Went Wrong is different because at least you don't have Tom trying to fake Mark's voice or playing the bass.

Heart's All Gone (& Interlude) - I can't listen to the song without listening to the interlude. The combo is very effective, even though the interlude just repeats the simple chorus melody of the main song, but it acts as a nice contrast. The transition always gives me chills. I still have a problem with Mark playing the guitar; he's supposed to be the bassist of the band so him playing two instruments and singing makes the song sound like a solo effort featuring Travis. Tom's background vocals do help a lot and are a considerable improvement over the original version. 8½/10

Mark is doing the background vocals.

Holy shit you're right. You just ruined the song.

Thats retarded.  You thought Tom was doing the vocals and because of this praised it because it sounded better.  But now that you know its not Tom but Mark, the song is ruined?  Who cares who is singing, the question is how does it sound?

I was obviously exaggerating with the "ruined" part. I liked the song before it even had background vocals.

Of course, there's nothing "retarded" about this. Until this I've been hearing Tom singing the background vocals. Now I hear Mark. This cannot be changed, so the song sounds different now. My guess is that Mark intentionally made his background vocals sound like Tom's which is just lame and dishonest. With him playing the guitar as well, this song sounds less like a blink 182 song now. If you don't consider this a good reason to like the song a bit less, then I can't help you.

Again, I find this retarded.  I mean in Story of a Lonely Guy, I'm still unsure who is doing the Da da da da da da da da da da part.  For the longest time I thought it was Mark then someone said its actually Tom, and when I listened for that, it became apparent that it may actually be Tom.  This was obviously not done to be dishonest, its just how he chose to sing, they both can sound like each other in the right context.  The first time I heard Up All Night, I found that Mark and Tom sounded quite similar, and its just because of how they sing.  There is no dishonesty, its just how they sing the song.

Let me ask you a question.  Do you like What Went Wrong? less because its all Tom?  I sure as hell don't, its one of my favorite songs off of TOYPAJ at that.

I wouldn't have a problem with the situation if the song (Heart's All Gone) had a trace of Tom. I thought it did but now I know it doesn't and that cannot be changed. It's a song by Mark featuring Travis. Story of a Lonely Guy is 100% blink even if I were to find out the dada part is sung by Tom (I have to check this because I always thought it's Mark, loud and clear).

And I don't like What Went Wrong. It's not really comparable because at least Tom is not playing anything that Mark should be playing. With Heart's All Gone, how am I supposed to kid myself now into believing that it's a band effort? There isn't a single "Tom song" on Neighborhoods where it'd sound as if Tom is playing the bass.

This isn't to say that Mark has never before recorded guitars for blink songs. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Mark recorded guitars for Here's Your Letter. But their previous albums had a uniform production quality that made all the songs sound as if they were recorded by a band, not in separate studios. This is definitely something they need to fix for the next record.

believe me, he didnt. :wink:

ive tried liking neighborhoods and i still listen to it all the time, even as im typing this, but the more i listen the more i dislike. Probably because i had the biggest expectations. Self titled still remains as my favorite album of all time. Im really critical on production quality for songs, and i dont feel like ive ever heard such terrible production coming from a comeback album from one of the biggest bands around right now. There are a lot of bands ive loved in the past who came out with albums i didnt really care for (codes and keys from death cab), but i dont necessarily "love" any track of neighborhoods. Ghost and After Midnight are probably the two that i like the most but i cant stop listening to it being like "Jesus, why does the guitar sound so dull here? Why are the vocals so buried? Why in the hell is Mark playing guitar on a Blink album??"

the album just sounded really rushed. i remember hearing mark say that they really only spent about 7 months getting down to making the album. The lyrics sound pretty rushed. Tom sounds the worst for me than any other album ive ever heard him on anything including ava.

My friends always used to mock toms voice in the past whenever i played it and never understood why some people hated his voice so much but i definitely felt them on this album for some reason. Every time i listen to neighborhoods, tom's accent makes me cringe. :|

Its only been out for about a month now and im already bored of it and ready for their next album. Such a shame. :oops:

The interesting thing is, Tom doesn't sing backing vocals on any of the Mark sung tracks, yet Mark sings backing vocals on Ghost On The Dance Floor, This Is Home, and Even If She Falls, which are obviously three Tom sung tracks. He also sings the "Ahhh's" in the middle of Snake Charmer along with Tom according to the webcam chat he did a few weeks ago. He also sings dual vocals with Tom on Love Is Dangerous. Wishing Well has no backing vocals. Whether or not Mark is playing bass on these tracks, I'm not sure. I do think he's at least playing on This Is Home though due to the style of playing in the breakdown. It's not so far fetched to think Tom may be playing bass on some of these though when you consider the fact that there are songs Mark plays guitar on.

As mentioned earlier, Mark plays all of the guitars and bass on Heart's All Gone, Kaleidoscope, MH 4.18.11, and Fighting The Gravity. He also sings lead and background vocals on all of them except for Kaleidoscope which Tom obviously sings the chorus on. Mark also handles all of the guitar and bass on Heart's all Gone interlude.

I believe each band member is in their respective roll on Natives, Up All Night, and After Midnight, which are the three songs on the album that were written together as a band.

So...

Tom lead vocal songs Mark is audible on: Ghost on the Dance Floor, Snake Charmer, This Is Home, Even If She Falls, and POSSIBLY Wishing Well if it's him on bass.

Mark lead vocal songs Tom is audible on: None.

The keyword in many of the interviews surrounding this album HAS been "compromise"...