Neighborhoods Review Thread

iSimon

Natives has been growing on me more and more and I just absolutely love Mark's chorus. His lines are stuck in my head all day, "You'll turn us loose in the night, I'm fucking jekkyl and Hyde, we'll have the time of our lives although were dying inside" After all this time blink still gets stuck in my head. They really fucking did it.

Natives has been growing on me more and more and I just absolutely love Mark's chorus. His lines are stuck in my head all day, "You'll turn us loose in the night, I'm fucking jekkyl and Hyde, we'll have the time of our lives although were dying inside" After all this time blink still gets stuck in my head. They really fucking did it.

Those are my favorite lines on the new album, both Mark and Tom killed it in lyrics department.

I do like how their seems to be more of a sense of musicianship on the album.  I felt like with CC and DR Tom tried to do the little punk riffs and then he slowly moved away from that with Untitled being the biggest culprit of that.  I have really like how all the music is written and Travis absolutely kills it on this album.  Best yet from him.

I've only listened to it a couple times but I have yet to find that new song I really dig from the new album.  Hopefully that will come soon.

you should listen harder cause there are a bunch there

Im sure there are.  I just don't have that feeling of hitting repeat when I'm in the car with any of these songs. 

It just feels all over the place for me.

Not a bad album, I just wish the dedication of Untitled went into this album.  I bet all the songs would sound so much better if they jammed together to make the songs.

Yeah I kinda felt that way too. I definitely hear some drops of AVA bleeding on some of these tracks. Need to check that band at the door when writing a Blink album. These are 2 different bands. It's a solid album but I feel Untitled was way more concentrated on (no other bands to focus on, just Blink). I guess this is the new Blink-182 sound from now on. 8.5/10

So this album can't be influenced by AVA at all but untitled can be HEAVILY influenced by BCR? When you think about it, Untitled is like BCR part 2.

It would be retarded for them not to take what they've learned to blink...Do you really want to hear songs that sound exactly like shit from 1999? That would be stupid.

I could care less about the influences and what it sounds like. And honestly I feel like if they have never broke up Tom was already wanting to move in AVA-type direction and we all know what Mark wrote by himself so that point is completely invalid.  I will give this album a better listen when I actually get it and have a 16+ hour drive to make.  Its just that I feel what this album is missing over all their other albums is a sense of cohesiveness. 

With each listen though I'm liking it more and more.  I guess I was just hoping to have the feeling of 'wow' that I get when I get albums from my favorite bands and they actually do a good job, idk was just underwhelmed by my first listen.

I was so excited about this album, had such high hopes... it was so easy for me to be disappointed by it. But it's nothing what I expected. It's not mark, tom and travis "trying" to be blink, it's not a cash in, it feels new and exciting, and at the same time it still feels like blink. I'm so happy with it. They surpassed my expectations 10 times over, which after 8 years of waiting I never ever thought would happen. This is why they are my favourite band and probably always will be.

I was so excited about this album, had such high hopes... it was so easy for me to be disappointed by it. But it's nothing what I expected. It's not mark, tom and travis "trying" to be blink, it's not a cash in, it feels new and exciting, and at the same time it still feels like blink. I'm so happy with it. They surpassed my expectations 10 times over, which after 8 years of waiting I never ever thought would happen. This is why they are my favourite band and probably always will be.

Could not have said it better.

really, really good record lyrically almost moreso than musically.  I was personally worried what with all tom's weird lyrics these past few years in angels, and considering the horror that was a significant portion of +44's songs (come on people, a song like baby come on is just lyrically trash).  They clearly took this very seriously and put their hearts and souls into it and it shows.  the coolest part of this record is it sounds like a punk rock record made by guys in their mid-30's who aren't trying to recapture what they once were but are rather trying to move forward.

really, really good record lyrically almost moreso than musically.  I was personally worried what with all tom's weird lyrics these past few years in angels, and considering the horror that was a significant portion of +44's songs (come on people, a song like baby come on is just lyrically trash).  They clearly took this very seriously and put their hearts and souls into it and it shows.  the coolest part of this record is it sounds like a punk rock record made by guys in their mid-30's who aren't trying to recapture what they once were but are rather trying to move forward.

wtf are you talking about?

Now that I've listened to the album 20+ times, I feel like I can rate each song decently and not get caught up in the hype, while also allowing songs to grow on me.

Ghost on the Dance Floor:

I got shivers when I first heard it.  When I first started the album and heard this song, it really hit home that Blink are back.  The lyrics did grow on me a bit, but I think the intro is a bit too simple (the guitar riff at least) and the ending sounds a bit convoluted.  I was really hyped for this track and out of all the songs on the album, it probably let me down the most, but it's still enjoyable.

7/10

Natives:

At first I thought it just sounded like a Young London revision, but any song that has Tom and Mark trading off vocals is bound to be great.  Not a huge fan of the lyrics, but it's a high tempo Blink song and it sounds true to the band so I can dig it.

7.5/10

Up All Night:

It's grown on me a fair bit since launch, but it still doesn't seem like a single to me.  Still a good song, but doesn't really stand out to me.

7.5/10

After Midnight:

One of the stronger tracks IMO, it's the closest thing to a I Miss You (both of Mark's lyrics are darker, yet cute and sincere) or Always we have on the album.

8.5/10

Snake Charmer:

Probably the biggest surprise of the album for me.  This song really stands out to me as an evolution of the band.  It's mixed so well and the chorus is so damn good and flows with the guitar so beautifully.  The long outro is sounds so eerie and fits the mood so well.  This song was a huge surprise for me.

9/10

Hearts All Gone Interlude:

Another one that really grabbed my attention.  I honestly never cared much for the Fallen Interlude, as I felt it never really enhanced the album, but this one is an impressive transition into Hearts All Gone.  I really could see it being used for some emotional tribute video or something

8.5/10

Hearts All Gone:

Mark taking a stab at old school Blink and hits the nail on the head.  Great throwback to the Dude Ranch days and is also reminiscent of +44 as well, and a nice change of pace too.

8.5/10

Wishing Well:

Easily one of my favourite tracks of the year.  Definitely my favourite lyrics on the album, it's a prime example of what Tom is capable of contributing to the band.  If this is his way of owning up to all the stupid shit he did regarding AvA then it just makes the song even better.

9.5/10

Kaleidoscope:

Another great song just because both Mark and Tom sing on it.  I think Mark's portion of the song is stronger, his vocals and lyrics fit the mood of the song better IMO.

8/10

This Is Home:

Very poppy and upbeat, but it really works well.  I really dig this track because each portion of the song highlights each band member's talents.  The intro showcase Tom's catchy guitar riffs, the bridge has a sick bass solo from Mark, and then near the end there's a huge drum build up.  Travis stands out in every single track though lol.  Not a huge fan of Tom's stuttering chorus, but I could see why people would like it and it could easily be a big hit.

8.5/10

MH 4.18.2011

This is where the album starts to get a bit weaker, IMO.  As soon as I heard this track, it screamed pop-punk generic formula.  This song is so uninspired.  It sounds like Mark wrote this song on his own (the guitar bits too, like Hearts All Gone).

The lyrics suck, plain and simple.  They are so god awful.  Hiding in the shadow of a helicopter?  It sounds cool and articulate, but it isn't a metaphor for anything and if it is some analogy then it's a really shitty one, it's all style and flash.  On the positive side, it made me appreciate what Tom adds to the band, even just his guitar work is noticeable thanks to this atrocious track. 

5/10

Love is Dangerous:

I was really stoked by this song, the structure of it is awesome, the distortion on Tom's vocals sounds great.  The chorus kills it for me.  Love is Dangerous is cringe worthy, it's such an ambiguous line that is just thrown out there for the teeny boppers.  I was instantly reminded by Kings of Leon when I heard this track, and their simplistic and vague choruses like "I could use somebody".  I don't ever want to be reminded of Kings of Leon from Blink ever again, and it's a bummer because this song had pretty much everything else going for it aside from the poor chorus.  Wasted potential.

6.5/10

Fighting the Gravity:

Haven't really given this one a thorough listening to yet, heard it maybe 4 or 5 times.  Can't get into it at all, but it's a change of pace and slows down the album so at least variety is there.

5/10

Even If She Falls:

The most vintage Blink track paying homage to the days that they made it big.  Sounds like it could totally be taken off TOYPAJ, and that was one of my favourite albums, so I was ecstatic when I heard this album.  Lyrically it bums me out (in a good way), but instrumentally it puts a huge grin on my face and leaves a lasting impression that Blink really are back.

9/10

Neighborhoods:

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this album.  Blink really covered their bases by providing throwbacks to their glory days (Even If She Falls, Hearts All Gone) while showing us they have progressed as a band and are willing to go in new directions (Snake Charmer, Wishing Well) and succeed in their creativity.

I'm not going to cum all over it though.  It does falter at times and have some weaker tracks (MH 4.18.2011, Love is Dangerous, Fighting the Gravity - IMO), but nothing that hinders my enjoyment of the album. 

9/10

Ghost on the Dancefloor

An awesome opener to the record and a beautiful tribute to DJAM and Jerry Finn. Marks backup-vocals makes this song one of the stronges on the record.

9/10

Natives

A really cool song, I love how Mark is singing so low in the chorus and Tom comes with his high backups. Also i love those small details, like the weird voice things (i think?) after he sings the verses.

8/10

Up all Night

When i first heard it, it was really awesome. Now I thinks its even better, fits so well into the album. The intro and the outro makes this song so heavy.

8/10

After Midnight

Probably the biggest "hit" on this album. Most radiofriendly, and it's hard to not like it. The interlude in the end is the most beautiful piece on the intire record.

Snake Charmer

Oh how i love when they experiemnt and try different things. Marks "aaaah" in the end is so unreal. So goood. Arena-rock Punk

9/10

Hearts all gone interlude

Really beautiful piece. It's cool that they used the weird sound from the studioclip, and have it in the background. Though i have to say that i wish they made this a seperate song, a ballad with Tom and Mark sharing vocals and in the end it could fade into Hearts all Gone. Kinda like "all of this " and "easy target"

7/10

Hearts all gone

gaaaaahm, punkrock. i wanna break something. The chorus is so good, and the bridge is just weird in a cool way.

7/10

Wishing well

Classic blink. The flanger on the snare is awesome, and the chorus will make all radiostations wanna play it very soon.

9/10

Kaleidoscope

Oh, this is good. I get that melancholic +44 feeling, like i felt back in 06, that fall, i listned to those dark songs and walked around in the woods. I wanna do the same thing when i hear this song. The outro is trippy. And the chorus, wow. Dark lyrics. I picture Tom driving in the night, thinking about what the fuck is happening in his life.

9/10

This is home

This is the only song that has'nt struck me, its good, but i feels like nothing special. A bonustrack or something.

6/10

MH.4.8.2011

I like it a, la. The chorus is powerful and the lyrics is probably the best mark has ever written.

Love is Dangerous

The best song to end a record. I looooove how Tom and Mark both sing at the same time in the verses, and the chorus with mark backing up and answering Tom is so good. The end reminds me of "im lost without you" with the snarerolls.

Figthing the Gravity

This is sooo far away from something they have ever done, it's so dark and so cool. The "it makes no sence" gives med goosbumps. This song would fit awesome into some nightmare-like video. Like someone who is trapped in his own head. It's really cool and experimental.

9/10

Even if She falls

Makes me wanna dance and jump. So fucking catchy.

9/10

So i give this record a 9/10, the best album they have ever done and i really look forward to the next step for the blink-dudes.

After listening to the album countless time, it is still awesome. Fighting The Gravity has REALLY grown on me; the way he delivers the chorus just sounds so good imo. The weakest song on the album has to be MH. It is just really dull to me and really has no hook that pulls me in while my favorite song (Even If She Falls) has everything I love about blink.

9.0/10

Kaleidoscope

Oh, this is good. I get that melancholic +44 feeling, like i felt back in 06, that fall, i listned to those dark songs and walked around in the woods. I wanna do the same thing when i hear this song. The outro is trippy. And the chorus, wow. Dark lyrics. I picture Tom driving in the night, thinking about what the fuck is happening in his life.

9/10

omg, you too?  -  ahh good memories, walking in the woods with +44 bangin' my headphones :D

and kaleidoscope is best song on the album.

Kaleidoscope

9/10

omg, you too?  -  ahh good memories, walking in the woods with +44 bangin' my headphones :D

and kaleidoscope is best song on the album.

Haha yeah, with those yellow autumn leaves on the ground and that smell of fall in the air. Maybe a few raindrops. It's so good.