Whatever happened to the Mark's songs as singles?

CuteBilly182

When blink started to get famous, Mark had the majority of the singles

Mark

M+M's

Dammit                                         

Josie

What's My Age Again?

Adams Song

The Rock Show

Tom

All The Small Things

First Date

Down

Always

Mark & Tom

Man Overboard (more Mark)

Stay Together For The Kids

Feeling This

I Miss You

Up All Night (more Tom)

After Midnight

Looking at the latest album, Mark really doesn't have much for his own songs. 3 songs are his? And the rest are just him singing on Tom's songs, It seems like Tom has pushed further as the "front man".. I know lack of Mark songs has already been brought up, but this kinda shows how much he really has contributed to their band. But then again, Mark's songs sound way different aside for HAG

Because Mark doesn't write as many good or radio-friendly songs as Tom does, to be quite honest.  He hasn't since 2001.

That being said, you can see how important Mark is to the band just by listening to the difference between AVA songs and new blink songs.  His behind the scenes impact on songs that are perceived to be "Tom songs" is probably quite big.

That is an interesting fact about the singles that I also noticed. Reminds me of the Beatles, in the early days John Lennon wrote most of the hits and was definitely the leader, but eventually Paul Mcartney become the stronger writer and took over the role as leader.

Personally I consider myself a Mark fan, but Tom definitely knows how to write a catchy single.

Because Mark doesn't write as many good or radio-friendly songs as Tom does, to be quite honest.  He hasn't since 2001.

That being said, you can see how important Mark is to the band just by listening to the difference between AVA songs and new blink songs.  His behind the scenes impact on songs that are perceived to be "Tom songs" is probably quite big.

Just this. I honestly would loved more Mark on the singing. I love Mark's voice. But well... things are as they like, and I'm pretty satisfied with the way the songs are. Is like you said, the impact behind the scenes it's pretty obvious. His seal is here, even if he does not sings at full time.

I noticed this as well. When i heard the new blink album i was sort of surprised it was mostly Tom. I originally thought this new album would have a lot of mark songs because Tom has been busy pumping out angels and airwaves albums for the past couple years, where as mark had a lot of time in between plus 44 to write some songs.

( like the several youtube videos similar to the ones above where it's mark recording and writing a song that could be used as a future blink song). Im not hating on tom though, i still like tom's songs.

I feel that Tom's voice has always carried that signature "blink 182 sound" as much as Tom's voice sucks these days it did clearly influence countless bands and singers. It is a revolutionary vocal sound that many people have tried to emulate since. Same goes for Mark but on a lesser scale. More Mark on this record would have ruled because Tom's new vocal style make him sound retarded... there's like bad notes on the record hah.

what happened to that one song mark was writing with the big heavy guitars and he was gonna call it "werewolves" or something?

I'm pretty sure that's Heart's All Gone and the Heart's All Gone interlude.

Actually I think that guitar bit was for the bridge of Kaleidoscope. I remember in the video about it he said it was for the bridge of a song, and Kaleidoscope's has that ''big dirt guitar'' sound he mentioned (if I remember that correctly :P ).

Well said.

1. Tom writes catchier songs

2. Tom has a more remarkable voice

3. When people think of blink-182 they expect to hear Tom's voice

Disagree. I've always thought of Blink as a 50/50 combination of Mark and Tom. Like Lennon and Mccartney. Point/Counterpoint.

Neither can be as successful alone.

Well said.

1. Tom writes catchier songs

2. Tom has a more remarkable voice

3. When people think of blink-182 they expect to hear Tom's voice

Disagree. I've always thought of Blink as a 50/50 combination of Mark and Tom. Like Lennon and Mccartney. Point/Counterpoint.

Neither can be as successful alone.

I definitely agree with your last point.  I really didn't know much about blink-182 prior to Enema, and hearing What's My Age Again and All The Small Things was a pretty remarkable experience; I felt like I was hearing two different bands, but it was a pretty awesome.  I love the balance the band has with two unique vocalists.