Hearts All Gone: About Tom?

supervic

Is Hearts All Gone about Tom?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hearts All Gone about Tom?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

yeah, that's barely any evidence at all. in fact it just simply isn't. i don't have a hard time believing mark can still have some negative feelings towards tom, i'm just saying that it's not likely it'd be aired on a blink record. either way, this is nothing more than speculation.i mean it doesn't seem odd to you guys at all, the thought of mark singing lyrics that bad about tom, knowing that right after he's done singing them, he's going to email the track to tom to see what he thinks? it just seems absurd to me

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, that's barely any evidence at all. in fact it just simply isn't. i don't have a hard time believing mark can still have some negative feelings towards tom, i'm just saying that it's not likely it'd be aired on a blink record. either way, this is nothing more than speculation.i mean it doesn't seem odd to you guys at all, the thought of mark singing lyrics that bad about tom, knowing that right after he's done singing them, he's going to email the track to tom to see what he thinks? it just seems absurd to me

Quoted for truth^^

i don't find it that improbable.... I wouldn't be surprised if Tom didn't hear HAG until it was almost completely finished. I mean he had no input whatsoever in some of mark's songs..he even admits it.

there's no way anyone can prove it either way, but i consider it to be too much of a coincidence. architect? perfection? smoking tongue? fame and fortune? drinking problems?

just my opinion. not claiming it to be fact.

I think it's very possible that it's about Tom. The clues are certainly there. It wouldn't be the first time a band has put out a song with lyrics pertaining to frustration with a fellow bandmate. And when you think about Mark and Tom, there's something deeper there than just being bandmates. They were best friends for years. Although they may have patched some things up, I think it's clear that they aren't as close as they used to be and that there was some permanent damage done to the relationship.

once upon a time there was a hard quarrel between me and my then gf, we said some stupid (yet true and honest) things to each other, but after the war scene was over, everything was fine again, both of us learned from the shit we talked. and since i was in a band then, i wrote a song about it, using the exact words we said, so it was an obvious reference for her and me, but for others it was just a break up song. although the song said it was the end of our relationship, in fact we were together for a long time...

that's why i think mark wrote heart's all gone about tom, and tom still can say it's okay. it was a fight between them, but they straighten it up, and the song is a reminder to not be selfish/headstrong/whatever (what the song is about, you know)...

anyway, it doesn't really matter if it was written on purpose, adressed to tom. we know/can imagine that there were low points of their friendship through the album writing process. so if mark writes a song like this, the fans will think it's about tom's attitude... as long as they can solve their issues, i don't think it would be wrong.

It's funny this discussion started, I was thinking of making a topic about HAG being about Tom but decided against it. The only part that doesn't really point towards him is "we fell in love". But a lot of that song really seems to be about Tom. I mean, who else could the "fame and fortune, watching others tortured" line be directed at? No love interest of Mark's is famous.

BTW, congrats on the interview Sasha!

We're not being weird, we're just looking at this logically.  Yes it COULD be about Tom, but there isn't any concrete evidence about it.  You can believe that if you want, but you should understand why others are hesitant to believe it, there isn't enough proof to determine one way or the other.  i would have no problem if it is about Tom, but like I said I just don't see enough proof one way or the other to make a solid judgement on the matter.

Says the conspiracy guy.

I think people don't want it to be about Tom because it would mean there is tension. No there isn't  solid proof it is, but can you honestly offer an alternative for those lyrics?

It's funny this discussion started, I was thinking of making a topic about HAG being about Tom but decided against it. The only part that doesn't really point towards him is "we fell in love". But a lot of that song really seems to be about Tom. I mean, who else could the "fame and fortune, watching others tortured" line be directed at? No love interest of Mark's is famous.

BTW, congrats on the interview Sasha!

We're not being weird, we're just looking at this logically.  Yes it COULD be about Tom, but there isn't any concrete evidence about it.  You can believe that if you want, but you should understand why others are hesitant to believe it, there isn't enough proof to determine one way or the other.  i would have no problem if it is about Tom, but like I said I just don't see enough proof one way or the other to make a solid judgement on the matter.

Says the conspiracy guy.

I think people don't want it to be about Tom because it would mean there is tension. No there isn't  solid proof it is, but can you honestly offer an alternative for those lyrics?

The we fell in love part could be referencing the beginning of their friendship.

Another thing is that even if he had Tom in mind while writing it, that doesn't necessarily mean every single line is going to be directly about Tom. The song could just be about a general idea (the one expressed in the chorus) and then he took artistic license in a few spots to build up around that in the verses mixed together with lines that are actually about Tom.  It's also possible that he's writing about more than one person. The "we fell in love" line could be about a girl, for example, whereas the "Your smoking tongue..." line is an example of something that could be about Tom. Just as many of us could probably apply the words in the chorus to multiple people in our lives, Mark probably could too.

Yeah, I agree. I've seen some songs that are about more than one person.

I get the feeling that some fanboys would rather the song isn't about Tom because they think it would mean that Blink is fighting. But that is hardly the case at all. Obviously Tom is well aware of the problems Mark had with him. They got over it, reformed Blink, and its ok now. I don't see how he'd be insulted by the song. I think it being about Tom (at least partially) makes it even more powerful because in a sense as fans, we can all empathize with Mark's frustration with Tom in that song.

Personally I don't give a shit. I don't get why people have the urge to overanalyse things. Who cares if mark wrote about how retarded tom is, we all give a different meaning to songs anyway. I bet we all know a girl that fucked us over, well HOG is about that girl. Moving on.

No its not.

I don't remember the last time Mark achieved Fame and fortune with a girl who fucked him over. Marks been married for over 10 years. Highly unlikely he is writing about some girl who fucked him over.

Personally I don't give a shit. I don't get why people have the urge to overanalyse things. Who cares if mark wrote about how retarded tom is, we all give a different meaning to songs anyway. I bet we all know a girl that fucked us over, well HOG is about that girl. Moving on.

Why does it bother you so much to discuss it? Isn't that what these boards are for?

The fact that some people are outraged over the possibility is a bit weird to me. It's not over-analyzing the song to discuss what it might be about.

Why does it bother you so much to discuss it? Isn't that what these boards are for?

The fact that some people are outraged over the possibility is a bit weird to me. It's not over-analyzing the song to discuss what it might be about.

Yeah, some people get all pissy when you discuss the meanings of songs in general. I don't get it. I think its fun to analyze lyrics.