Hearts All Gone: About Tom?

supervic

Is Hearts All Gone about Tom?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hearts All Gone about Tom?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

LOL this song is not about a girl? Alrighty then. Ghent and Oliver would look so much smarter if they just picked Kaleidoscope because that song is (in my opinion) obviously written about tom. I mean seriously, stop talking out of your ass and pretend that you're in Mark's head. Even if he wrote HAG about Tom, you wouldn't know that he did. If you want to piss off the kids, make sense while you do it.

Kaleidoscope is about the band's recording process.

And i'm not trying to piss anyone off, nor am i claiming to be in mark's head. the song could very well have nothing to do with tom.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is ridiculous.

So, blink break up for 4-5 years and get back together. Everything is in the past and they're friends now.

Then, they record their first album in 8 years and release it to the masses.

Now apparently, Mark is STILL mad at Tom for shit that happened 4-5 years ago, and is now making hate songs about Tom?!?! On the same CD that Tom is part of?

Some of you's are so retarded it is mind blowing. The beauty thing about music is that it is up to the listener to distinguish and interpret lyrics how they'd like to, obviously. I understand that. However, common sense should prevail folks... This is not a song about Tom. Maybe it is about a high school girl? Use the example of "Holly" From ST... it was about a girl from highschool who kept selling out (I think the guitar tech) and fucking him over. Why wouldn't they write about the past?

The picture of that interview posted above was meant to be a joke to some degree. Some of you people take things to heart far too often. I understand that you're fan boys and all... but seriously? C'mon.

Lol at this point I really believe Ghent and Oliver are just trying to troll. They have zero proof yet they still find it amusing to piss people off making something up. Two immature kids on the internet.

Just because he uses the word love and sweet does not make any difference whatsoever. First of all, those words can easily apply to another man. Second, if the song is about Tom, he's going to write it vaguely.

Of course the words make a difference and no, they cannot easily apply to another man. While lyrics in general tend to be vague (this case included) and even random from time to time, it'd take a considerable leap of faith to interpret these lyrics the way you and Oliver the Cynic do. The general idea of a song is usually clear even if specific lines are vague and abstract.

As pointed out above, why would Mark write another angry song about Tom? He said what needed to be said with No, It Isn't.

You people are crazy if you think that not only would Mark write another song about the exact same subject but that he'd also make Tom sing and play it live. That's just perverted.

LOL this song is not about a girl? Alrighty then. Ghent and Oliver would look so much smarter if they just picked Kaleidoscope because that song is (in my opinion) obviously written about tom. I mean seriously, stop talking out of your ass and pretend that you're in Mark's head. Even if he wrote HAG about Tom, you wouldn't know that he did. If you want to piss off the kids, make sense while you do it.

Kaleidoscope is about the band's recording process.

And i'm not trying to piss anyone off, nor am i claiming to be in mark's head. the song could very well have nothing to do with tom.

Exactly

Just because he uses the word love and sweet does not make any difference whatsoever. First of all, those words can easily apply to another man. Second, if the song is about Tom, he's going to write it vaguely.

Of course the words make a difference and no, they cannot easily apply to another man. While lyrics in general tend to be vague (this case included) and even random from time to time, it'd take a considerable leap of faith to interpret these lyrics the way you and Oliver the Cynic do. The general idea of a song is usually clear even if specific lines are vague and abstract.

As pointed out above, why would Mark write another angry song about Tom? He said what needed to be said with No, It Isn't.

You people are crazy if you think that not only would Mark write another song about the exact same subject but that he'd also make Tom sing and play it live. That's just perverted.

Lol another great point that Ghent and Oliver will avoid commenting on. I highly doubt Mark is going to write another song about hating Tom and then to top it off by changing the song live so Tom has to sing it as well. That would just be down right mean and fucking stupid. Ghent and Oliver are just clinging to one quote that doesn't prove a thing and stupid lyrics like "lets drink ourselves to death" which could refer to anyone in the world who drinks alcohol.

Lol another great point that Ghent and Oliver will avoid commenting on. I highly doubt Mark is going to write another song about hating Tom and then to top it off by changing the song live so Tom has to sing it as well. That would just be down right mean and fucking stupid. Ghent and Oliver are just clinging to one quote that doesn't prove a thing and stupid lyrics like "lets drink ourselves to death" which could refer to anyone in the world who drinks alcohol.

You have some serious reading comprehension problems. It isn't just "one line". The entire song has references to Tom.

I've already addressed the "we feel in love" part. If you'd read. I said it could be obscured lyrics, or only a majortiy of the song could be about Tom with some random lines thrown in. Freddy Mercury wrote Bohemian Rhapsody about coming to terms with his sexuality but also put in stupid lines that made no sense. It is no uncommon.

Speaking of dodging, what love interest would Mark be writing about after 10+ years of being married?

Once you live a few years and are actually in a relationship with someone for an extended period of time, you'll understand that you wouldn't be writing a song about a love interest from 15 years ago.

I am a kid and a troll? That is the funniest thing I've ever heard. I am actually 29 years old and have been on this board for close to 10 years. Although that might be even more pathetic. But you were most likely crapping your diaper when I was posting here.

wow...this is fanboy fucking city right now.

Just because mark has written other songs about tom (actually an entire album) doesn't mean he wouldn't or couldn't do it again. He has said many times that he writes about whatever is on his mind at the time.

and it's not perverted to play it live or have it under tom's name because the song isn't blatant enough to matter. no one will ever know what it's about unless mark tells us. did you read tom's quote in the interview? he basically admits there are lines about him.

and btw, msandt, you are a fucking idiot for thinking that a man can't "fall in love" with another man on a friend level or consider their friend "sweet". it is only gay in your mind because you are a bigot.

You have some serious reading comprehension problems. It isn't just "one line". The entire song has references to Tom.

I've already addressed the "we feel in love" part. If you'd read. I said it could be obscured lyrics, or only a majortiy of the song could be about Tom with some random lines thrown in. Freddy Mercury wrote Bohemian Rhapsody about coming to terms with his sexuality but also put in stupid lines that made no sense. It is no uncommon.

Speaking of dodging, what love interest would Mark be writing about after 10+ years of being married?

Once you live a few years and are actually in a relationship with someone for an extended period of time, you'll understand that you wouldn't be writing a song about a love interest from 15 years ago.

I am a kid and a troll? That is the funniest thing I've ever heard. I am actually 29 years old and have been on this board for close to 10 years. Although that might be even more pathetic. But you were most likely crapping your diaper when I was posting here.

bahahaha same...minus around 4-5 years of age and 3 years of posting.

I can't belive Mark would write an entire song about Tom AGAIN, after doing that +44 record wich was basicly all about Tom. It wouldnt make sense to sing about his bandmate that way every night, if that was the case, he might as well just could have played "no it isnt" in front of Tom everynight, with Tom singing harmonies.

And that part of the interview where Tom says those things is most likely just about a few lines, maybe the "It's the first time that im worried" part.

I think this song is about a bad relationship with a bad girl, end of story.

The whole "mark would never make Tom play a song about him on stage" theory is getting old and is complete bullshit. Marks blatantly made fun of Tom on stage about AVA, his hat, his guitar..I mean I'm sure marks not like "yessss I get to make Tom sing a song about how much I hate him! That'll make me feel better."

At the end of the day, no matter what the songs about, they played it live because they released it so early, and Tom sings because mark either can't hit the notes or he runs out of breath.

But seriously open your minds, there are several references to Tom.

The whole "mark would never make Tom play a song about him on stage" theory is getting old and is complete bullshit. Marks blatantly made fun of Tom on stage about AVA, his hat, his guitar..I mean I'm sure marks not like "yessss I get to make Tom sing a song about how much I hate him! That'll make me feel better."

At the end of the day, no matter what the songs about, they played it live because they released it so early, and Tom sings because mark either can't hit the notes or he runs out of breath.

Same could be said for you. "Open your mind" I could find references made about Tom in plenty other songs sung by Mark as well. Doesn't mean Mark actually wrote the song with Tom in mind. The point Ghent and Oliver are trying to make is , that Mark wrote HAG while thinking about Tom.

This is some absolute shit logic. While I can't for certain say that the song is either about no one or Tom, using the justification that "Mark wouldn't write about something that doesn't apply to him now" is ridiculous. They released an album knowing full well that millions of people are going to be hearing their lyrics - it's not that absurd to think that they may write lyrics that cater to their fans more than their own personal interests. What, did you think Mark and Tom went on their first dates when they were over 20 years old?

Having said that, I don't doubt that it could be about Tom. Personally, I don't think it is - but he could have easily drawn lyrical inspiration about the whole situation and made it into a song about a relationship. It could go either way, but to strike out one of the options using that argument is idiotic.

So you are saying Blink 182 write songs for other people and not for themselves? That is kind of insulting to them don't you think?

Absolute not, and for someone whose all about blink being in it for the money I'm surprised you're acting ignorant to the fact that blink would make songs that would appeal to a large audience rather than just for themselves. Lyrically, songs don't have to directly apply to a situation familiar with a band. I mean, a lot of blinks songs (even on previous albums) are about heartbreak, dysfunctional relationships, and breaking up. Last time I checked, Tom and Mark, the lyric-creators, are in happy, stable relationships.

Obviously, I believe that most of their songs are based off personal experiences or whatever, but at the same time, I think its incredible naive to assume that each and every song is based on a person or situation that is directly applicable to their lives. So again, this song might be about Tom, but I think it's ridiculous to rule out that it's not about Tom because they're lyrics from Mark...

Its pretty obvious that the song isn't directly about a girl..it can be applied to a girl, but any good lyricist would allow for that interpretation.

the song is about tom.

how can you say it's not with this being said

aboutmec.png

i know it's been posted before, but that's all the proof I need.

Exactly.

okay, again that's just not proof of anything lol. the logic flow here is "if.... then.."... if mark did write something about tom, then it would still be okay. but that doesn't mean he did?

that's like me saying "man if my mom died, i would cry", and then you would say "wow, i can't believe your mom died".

anyway, i think this is a relevant topic and a decent point of discussion. not sure why everyone is getting so heated and offended over it.

Yeah, right or wrong, it's just a discussion. some people are getting personally offended over it.

Both oliver and I have admitted that we could be wrong. i would never claim to be in mark's mind...there are just certain lines in the song that i can most easily explain by applying to tom.

I will give Ghent and Oliver credit. They are very determined to win this battle.

Which you aren't a part of because you continuously ignore posts, lack reading comprehension, and dodge arguments.

Absolute not, and for someone whose all about blink being in it for the money I'm surprised you're acting ignorant to the fact that blink would make songs that would appeal to a large audience rather than just for themselves. Lyrically, songs don't have to directly apply to a situation familiar with a band. I mean, a lot of blinks songs (even on previous albums) are about heartbreak, dysfunctional relationships, and breaking up. Last time I checked, Tom and Mark, the lyric-creators, are in happy, stable relationships.

Obviously, I believe that most of their songs are based off personal experiences or whatever, but at the same time, I think its incredible naive to assume that each and every song is based on a person or situation that is directly applicable to their lives. So again, this song might be about Tom, but I think it's ridiculous to rule out that it's not about Tom because they're lyrics from Mark...

My post was a bit "off the cuff" because many times people have said they don't write down to audiences. So I was trying to make a "you can't have it both ways" post.

I agree, they do write songs for teens, but in this case, HAG just doesn't feel like that type of song. It doesn't feel obscure. It feels very personal.

Take a song like "Down". Obviously its just words. I doubt tidal waves rip threw Tom. Its poetry. But this song is obviously different.

okay, again that's just not proof of anything lol. the logic flow here is "if.... then.."... if mark did write something about tom, then it would still be okay. but that doesn't mean he did?

that's like me saying "man if my mom died, i would cry", and then you would say "wow, i can't believe your mom died".

anyway, i think this is a relevant topic and a decent point of discussion. not sure why everyone is getting so heated and offended over it.

I agree with that. I am not saying it 100% proof. But why would they mention it at all if there wasn't some truth to it?

I think the key here, like Tyler said is, "open mind". People on here tend to take this way too literally. Like "oh Mark said the word 'love' it cant be about Tom!" Cmon....

It may not be about Tom, but to dismiss it altogether is just as silly as saying that you know for sure it is about him.

Well, that's a matter of opinion to whether it feels personal or not :P I actually thought it wasn't personal at all - but I do have to say it's interesting considering it may be about Tom. I think people need to stop getting butt-hurt about other people thinking its about Tom and others thinking its not. That's why I think its a maybe - in my opinion its not, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Yeah, Mark makes fun of Tom on stage all the time, but that's in a friendly way, if HAG would be about Tom, it's not in a friendly way, it's a "i hate you" song. It's a little bit nicer then No it isnt. He wouldnt have a song with negative words against Tom on this record, that would just be silly.

Well, that's a matter of opinion to whether it feels personal or not :P I actually thought it wasn't personal at all - but I do have to say it's interesting considering it may be about Tom. I think people need to stop getting butt-hurt about other people thinking its about Tom and others thinking its not. That's why I think its a maybe - in my opinion its not, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

No one is butt hurt on the "it might be tom" side.

Yeah, Mark makes fun of Tom on stage all the time, but that's in a friendly way, if HAG would be about Tom, it's not in a friendly way, it's a "i hate you" song. It's a little bit nicer then No it isnt. He wouldnt have a song with negative words against Tom on this record, that would just be silly.

mark does not always make fun of tom in a friendly way. in 2009, especially, there were some serious cringe moments..sometimes mark was flat out mean to him.