Self titled vs. Neighborhoods

M!ke

I think I can't choose one. To me, the advantage that had Untitled when it came out was the fact that it was really new and 'genuine'. I mean... blink was coming from TOYPAJ and an album as Untitled was totally unexpected. On the other side we have Neighborhoods which have a precedent: Untitled. So the impact is not the same and we have the perception that 'this' has been heard before. And, in some kind of sense, it has been heard, because is not a break on style or songwritting. So that's the difference: Untitled was totally new, and Neighborhoods not (talking about style and global sound).

Anyway, I'm listening right now Neighborhoods after a few weeks without doing it, and I must say that it's FANTASTIC. It's like a fresh listen but with the difference of knowing the songs. This albums rocks and remember, in a few years we'll talking about it as we do now about Untitled.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want them to top the Untitled so bad, but the chances are not good. they need to be in the studio together, get a producer, work hard. they need to actually relisten Untitled so many times to remember how to work in a right way. i don't want Untitled part 2 but it should be a thoughtful record with a light elements. look at the Untitled - they took their time and we got a masterpiece. i call bullshit everytime when Mark says they don't need a producer like they remember everything Jerry taugh them. they need to get their shit together. nbhds - really good but doesn't have a half things that shines in Untitled like a crazy bitch, the fuck knows what that could mean. I'm really looking forward to see how the next album will be in progress.

Well done man! great read. I agree with you on everything except I don't think Always would be the worst song on Untitled, This Is Home is definitely the low point of Neighborhoods. I also think that All Of This is more of a slow/sad song than I Miss You is. I wouldn't necessarily say that Untitled had 8 voices either, more like 5 (not including the narratives/samples since they aren't really contributing to the musical side) the "yeah, yeah" in Obvious had to have been either Travis or Tom.

Now that you got me thinking, I'm gonna try and pair up each song to its most similar cousin from the other album and which one is better in my opinion. Some of them were kind of hard to pair up because their sounds are so unique, but had to after eliminating all the ones that paired up well

Untitled > Neighborhoods

Feeling This > Up All Night (first single/first song we heard off the album, both Mark and Tom taking turns on the verse)

Obvious > Snake Charmer (Tom song, heavy guitar riffs, minor key/quiet verse into major key chorus)

I Miss You < After Midnight (second single off the album, catchy Travis drum intro, slower song with catchy chorus)

Violence > Kaleidoscope (Mark/Tom song with strong Tom chorus, both feature a unique Travis beat (intro in Violence, outro in Kaleidoscope))

Stockholm Syndrome < Heart's All Gone (both high energy/heavy guitar songs with Mark's higher range voice)

Down < Even If She Falls (Tom song, not extremely similar but you could say the themes are opposite to each other, EISF could be more similar to Not Now)

The Fallen Interlude < Heart's All Gone Interlude (interludes)

Go = ? (I guess we could throw in Heart's All Gone here too, both are fast Mark songs, but 15/14 tracks... one has to be lonely)

Asthenia > Wishing Well (Tom songs, only songs to feature a Tom guitar riff for a full phrase/verse without any bassline from Mark)

Always > This Is Home (80's sounding Tom song)

Easy Target > Natives (heavier song with Tom singing the verse and a catchy Mark chorus)

All Of This > Fighting The Gravity (both are experimental that kind of stand out from the rest)

Here's Your Letter > MH 4.18.2011 (Mark song towards the end of the album)

I'm Lost Without You < Love Is Dangerous (slower emotional closing track with the same kind of lyrical theme)

Not Now < Ghost On The Dance Floor (Tom song, both have similar sounds to AVA and have references to God and dying)

Stockholm>Hearts All Gone..... I Miss You>After Midnight........I'm Lost Without You> Love Is Dangerous......Not Now> Ghost On the Dance Floor......

This is coming from a guy who really loved Neighborhoods. I know it is all opinion but anyone who thinks Ghost On The Dance Floor is superior to Not Now needs to get their hearing checked.

Feeling This >>Up All Night

Obvious > Snake Charmer

I Miss You > After Midnight

Violence >> Kaleidoscope (this isn't a good comparison)

Stockholm Syndrome >> Heart's All Gone

Down > Even If She Falls (very close)

The Fallen Interlude << Heart's All Gone Interlude

Asthenia = Wishing Well

Always > This Is Home

Easy Target = Natives

All Of This >> Fighting The Gravity

Here's Your Letter > MH 4.18.2011

I'm Lost Without You > Love Is Dangerous

Not Now > Ghost On The Dance Floor

As unbiased as I can be. I love both albums but untitled is superior in almost every way. The only area I might find Neighborhoods being superior is the lyrics.

Feeling This >>Up All Night

Obvious < Snake Charmer

Stockholm Syndrome >> Heart's All Gone

Down <Even If She Falls  The Fallen Interlude << Heart's All Gone Interlude

Asthenia >Wishing Well

Always < This Is Home

Easy Target > Natives

All Of This >> Fighting The Gravity

I'm Lost Without You > Love Is Dangerous

Feeling This <Ghost on the dancefloor

Obvious > Natives

I Miss You > Up all night/by far)

Violence >> After midnight

Stockholm Syndrome = Snake Charmer

Down =Hearts all gone  interlude

The Fallen Interlude << Hearts all gone

Ashtenia > Wishing Well

Always < Kaleidoscope

Easy Target > This is home

All Of This <MH 4.18-2011

Here's Your Letter > Love is dangerous

I'm Lost Without You > Fighting the gravity

Not Now = Even if she falls

The matchups are good. I disagree with some of them though (>> implies "strong preference"):

Feeling This = Up All Night

Obvious > Snake Charmer

Stockholm Syndrome < Heart's All Gone

Asthenia < Wishing Well

Always > This Is Home

Easy Target < Natives

All Of This > Fighting The Gravity

I'm Lost Without You > Love Is Dangerous (both songs stink)

wat

more like are you serious? You truly belief that HAG is better than Stockholm wtf? And Asthenia is such an amazing creative song (same goes for Stockholm btw). Wishing Well is pretty good with a fucking catchy riff, but Asthenia blows it out of the water no doubt.

Asthenia is one of my favorite songs but the only part where it beats Wishing Well is the bridge.

And HAG with its interlude beats Stockholm easily.

The matchups are good. I disagree with some of them though (>> implies "strong preference"):

Feeling This = Up All Night

Obvious > Snake Charmer

Stockholm Syndrome < Heart's All Gone

Asthenia < Wishing Well

Always > This Is Home

Easy Target < Natives

All Of This > Fighting The Gravity

I'm Lost Without You > Love Is Dangerous (both songs stink)

wat

more like are you serious? You truly belief that HAG is better than Stockholm wtf? And Asthenia is such an amazing creative song (same goes for Stockholm btw). Wishing Well is pretty good with a fucking catchy riff, but Asthenia blows it out of the water no doubt.

Asthenia is one of my favorite songs but the only part where it beats Wishing Well is the bridge.

And HAG with its interlude beats Stockholm easily.

It beats Wishing Well through and through if you ask me.  I do not understand why people love Wishing Well so much.  Its definitely decent, but its probably my second or third least favorite song on Neighborhoods. 

We get it, you like you untitled more than neighborhoods mike.

Its not even about that, i just think a better song to compare Asthenia with would be Ghost on The Dancefloor.  If that were the comparison, I don't even know if I could say which one I prefer over the other, they're both fantastic realizations of what the AVA sound within blink should be.

We get it, you don't like Neighbordhoods mike.

You've made like three posts in the last two days trashing awesome neighborhoods songs with the pre-statement "I like it, BUT".

thats because there isn't a song on Neighborhoods I don't like, but there are certainly others that I like much more than others.  I could just as easily talk about other songs in the same manner:  I like Always but its my least favorite song on self titled.  I like Roller Coaster, but its my least favorite song on TOYPAJ, etc.  You're viewing my statements of where they rank on the album as a whole for me as insults to the song.  Surely there is a song on any blink album that you like less than the rest on the album, but you probably still like it.  Sorry for sharing my rankings of songs with you geez.  And come on I do like Neighborhoods, its probably my second favorite album of theirs, but even the greatest things I love aren't without criticism, except perhaps self titled, through and through that album is pretty much perfect.

• 1 month later...

Wow this post is reeally good, is hard to compare this albums, they`re different but i think Untitled is a little better or at least more ambicious, i think they risked more and made a record that gain some respect that was lost cuz they were stuck as an inmature young band, the logical step was to make a huge creative album and they did it honestly with amazing tracks. BUT Neighborhoods has some great points at least to me cuz (as my name says) i love raw sounds and NB is way more raw, less produced, i like that, they kinda got back to their punk roots in some tracks (Natives, HAG etc) and thats coool!

Also the lirycs are more diverse on Neighborhoods, Untitled is almost pure love songs.

Some asshole stole my iPod, so I'm forced to start burning CDs again. The first one I'm making? A blink mix with my favorite songs from Untitled and Neighborhoods.

Feeling This

Obvious

Violence

Stockholm Syndrome

Go

Always

Snake Charmer

Wishing Well

Up All Night

Hearts All Gone

Ghost on the Dance Floor

My only complaint about GOTDF is that the second half drags on. The intro is AMAZING but the rest of the song is a let down.

I like both albums. Comparing them is too tough, it's like apples and oranges.

Ghost on the Dance Floor = Not Now (Can't decide on this one, both powerful songs)

Feeling this = Up All Night (Lots will disagree but Up All Night was such a grower)

I Miss You > After Midnight (As much as I love After Midnight, it really seems thrown together in a rushed way)

Obvious > Natives (The opening riff in Natives is badass, but that doesn't stand up to the heavy guitars in Obvious, for me at least.)

Go > Heart's All Gone (Go pretty much sums up what Untitled was about in terms of sound.)

Asthenia < Wishing Well

Always > This is Home

Here's Your Letter = MH

I'm Lost Without You > Love is Dangerous

Obviously not all songs being compared, but that's just my two cents.

I like Neighborhoods, but I prefer Self titled. And I'm afraid I always will, no matter what other albums blink will make. It's just everything: the moment in my life when it came out, the memories, the status it has got, the songs.

One of the best albums ever made.

Really?