LOVE the movie

Bulkzero

I haven't watched the movie yet but if it is anything like "A Space Odyssey 2001" then I can understand why most of you kids would call it boring. Look at the original Alien and then look at Alien Vs Predator. One movie has a deep story and extreme tension leading to one of the creepiest movies ever made. The other movie has zero story or build up and relies on non stop death scenes/jump scares with zero buildup to get any reaction from the audience. My point being is that kids of this generation if presented with Alien would probably call the movie boring compared to Aliens Vs Predator. When you watch "A Space Odyssey 2001" in order to appreciate it you need to look at it as a work of art and understand how well crafted it was from a director point of view. From what I have read people said they were blown away by the visuals Tom created on a super low budget. I can almost guarantee my theory above is spot on and most of you kids have zero attention span and are calling the movie boring when Tom was going for a build up using drawn out scenes to build tension. You kids need to go watch the classics "A Clockwork Orange" "Space Odyssey 2001" "Planet of the Apes" "Alien" "Raging Bull" "Taxi Driver" "Gattaca" "Andromeda Strain" "Berlin" "The Thing" "Heat". All of these movies have slow scenes that lead to extreme build up and tension. You should watch them and appreciate the golden age of film making and try to understand why cinema today has gone completely down the shit hole save for a few good movies here and there. "Inception" "Saving Private Ryan" "Departed" "Gran Tarino" etc. My most hated movie of the past 20 years is "Avatar". That movie basically sums up the future of the movie industry. You look at James Cameron's past work "Terminator 1 and 2" "Aliens" "The Abyss" "True Lies". All used practical effects, great acting and directing to produce amazing movies. Now the sell out Cameron just pumps hundreds of millions of dollars in to the visuals, draws up a half assed re telling of Dancing with Wolves and casts a bunch of garbage actors AKA Sam Worthington etc.

To sum up everything I wrote above. Learn to have patience. The ADD mindset children have today going to movies is the reason directors feel it is ok to have shitty stories in movies and garbage casting. "Transformers" and "Avatar" are just two of the biggest examples of that. Most directors know that kids will be satisfied with amazing visuals and huge explosions every five minutes so they can skimp on everything else. A movie like "Godfather" or "Taxi Driver" would never get any recognition in today's ADD society . The golden age of film making is definitely behind us sadly.

2001 Space Odyssey happens to be one of my favorite movies. LOVE was nowhere comparable. The story line was a little similar but to the point that it almost looked like they tried to copy the storyline

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this movie was....boring. Like Mike said, NOTHING happened. But I guess its supposed to be like this, full with symbolism, heavily relying on imagery, non linear storytelling blablabla. The whole thing seems more like an art project, and with ''art'' anything goes right  :?

Also where was the part with the old man on the motorcycle?? (you can see it in the trailer)

I haven't watched the movie yet but if it is anything like "A Space Odyssey 2001" then I can understand why most of you kids would call it boring. Look at the original Alien and then look at Alien Vs Predator. One movie has a deep story and extreme tension leading to one of the creepiest movies ever made. The other movie has zero story or build up and relies on non stop death scenes/jump scares with zero buildup to get any reaction from the audience. My point being is that kids of this generation if presented with Alien would probably call the movie boring compared to Aliens Vs Predator. When you watch "A Space Odyssey 2001" in order to appreciate it you need to look at it as a work of art and understand how well crafted it was from a director point of view. From what I have read people said they were blown away by the visuals Tom created on a super low budget. I can almost guarantee my theory above is spot on and most of you kids have zero attention span and are calling the movie boring when Tom was going for a build up using drawn out scenes to build tension. You kids need to go watch the classics "A Clockwork Orange" "Space Odyssey 2001" "Planet of the Apes" "Alien" "Raging Bull" "Taxi Driver" "Gattaca" "Andromeda Strain" "Berlin" "The Thing" "Heat". All of these movies have slow scenes that lead to extreme build up and tension. You should watch them and appreciate the golden age of film making and try to understand why cinema today has gone completely down the shit hole save for a few good movies here and there. "Inception" "Saving Private Ryan" "Departed" "Gran Tarino" etc. My most hated movie of the past 20 years is "Avatar". That movie basically sums up the future of the movie industry. You look at James Cameron's past work "Terminator 1 and 2" "Aliens" "The Abyss" "True Lies". All used practical effects, great acting and directing to produce amazing movies. Now the sell out Cameron just pumps hundreds of millions of dollars in to the visuals, draws up a half assed re telling of Dancing with Wolves and casts a bunch of garbage actors AKA Sam Worthington etc.

To sum up everything I wrote above. Learn to have patience. The ADD mindset children have today going to movies is the reason directors feel it is ok to have shitty stories in movies and garbage casting. "Transformers" and "Avatar" are just two of the biggest examples of that. Most directors know that kids will be satisfied with amazing visuals and huge explosions every five minutes so they can skimp on everything else. A movie like "Godfather" or "Taxi Driver" would never get any recognition in today's ADD society . The golden age of film making is definitely behind us sadly.

Stop drawing conclusion based on nothing. It seems like you wont accept that other people can have different opinions on things...why? That is a dangerous mindset buddy.

Anyway, your post seems more like a rant on the current state of cinema, and I actually agree with you. But watch the movie, it sucks. If there was any build up, it was executed poorly.

Oh and its funny how you defend the movie, without having actually seen it.

And I think most of us have seen the movies you listed, so yeah. Stop acting all high and mighty, jesus christ.

The whole thing seems more like a art project, and with ''art'' anything goes right  :?

Exactly man, this is an art project, its not supposed to be a product everyone likes. Its the complete opposite of Star Wars or Transformers to put an example.

Its okay if you guys don't like it, i won't defend the movie because it doesn't need defense. Just look at it this way, some of us like Vanilla and some Chocolate (some both), its ok to like either, but is it ok to say Vanilla sucks ass if you like Chocolate?

The movie is slow and has some complex ideas (AKA Boring or Pretentious if you will), its like that on purpose. It's totally fine to say this isn't your cup of tea.

The thing is that I see this project like Tom's caprice. It's like he maybe was 'OMG I have money enough to pay for a film which I love cause I'm a total freak about space and shit, let's do it'. And hey, it's fine, it's his film, he supervised it and stuff,  but that doesn't mean this need to be considered as a un-understandable piece of art. He had his right to do what he wanted with this project, and I have my own right to say this is empty. I mean, to me is pointless and nothing special, and the worst thing: there are some things that has been done before and better.

But you know... I think in the end this is a matter of taste. To me was boring, for someone can be a total masterpiece.

when people on here have self funded and created a feature length film then maybe we should bash tom.

Ok, so I expect from you not telling opinions about anything if you are not able to do that kind of things. You know, if you're not able to record an album, I hope you don't tell us your opinion, for example...

C'mon...

i got bored 30 minutes in. if the album had the music in it more then i'd at least keep watching. it barely had any of the music. like 2 or 3 short clips so far

i thought the music was the weakest part of the movie. it was so repetitive and plain, it got annoying.

I just sat down and watched this movie.

Seriously, wtf. What a waste of time. I also sat there and kept telling myself, it'll get better, it'll get better. Nope, never ever did.

He is in the spaceship, then he is out in space attached to the iss by a rope, then next thing you know... he is on earth.

What the? I deleted the movie and wished I could get have gotten a refund on the amount of bandwidth I ate up during the download.

How can you cast judgement against the critics and write this long ass diatribe when you havent seen the movie?

Markblowhard.

He is in the spaceship, then he is out in space attached to the iss by a rope, then next thing you know... he is on earth.

What the?

Don't want to come across as a snob, but that statement made you look like you had the IQ of a daffodil.

I'm sure a lot of smart people will not find this movie to their taste, but if you don't understand why he was "on earth" again (he wasn't), you should either watch it again, or stick to popcorn films.

What the?

Don't want to come across as a snob, but that statement made you look like you had the IQ of a daffodil.

I'm sure a lot of smart people will not find this movie to their taste, but if you don't understand why he was "on earth" again (he wasn't), you should either watch it again, or stick to popcorn films.

Looks like I should have put my phone down. Texting was much more appealing than watching, and following Tom's movie that took him 4 years to create.

Snooze.