LOVE the movie

Bulkzero

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you listen to the commentary with AVA & Will., toward the end of the movie when Lee Miller enters his name into the computer on the space ship., Will says there is a special "easter egg" about the binary number that is displayed.

The binary number is 10011101

When converted to decimal the number is 157. There is no alphanumeric character associated with that binary code either. & Alt Character 157 is ¥

Any idea what this means?

I got my package today and watched it. I have to say it wasnt the greatest.  I liked it, but the middle draged on for so long. Too much time of him on the ISS doing nothing.  I thought the ending was cool even though I didnt understand it. The one thing I always had to keep in mind was that they made this all in the guys driveway with stuff from home depot.  Thats what made me appreciate it even if it wasnt the greatest.  Anyone wanna take a stab at trying to explain the ending to me?  You can do it via PM if you dont wanna spoil it for people here.

I thought it was like a post apocalyptic thing. Like everyone knew they were going to die and left a little message and then they shipped all the messages into space to float around incase anyone ever found it.

That's what all the little interview things that occurred throughout the film were, and they all talk about love and family etc.

Not sure how that relates to the civil war theme though.

I watched 40 minutes of this movie and had to turn it off because it was too boring. I'm going to give it another go though.

Ahhh the people of this generation. Go watch Andromeda Strain the 1971 version. That movie is a sci fi masterpiece that has little action and tons of dialogue, you probably would of gotten bored and turned that off also. Kids in this era have zero patience. The best sci  fi movies are the ones with long buildups and tense dialogue. All the greatest sci fi classics didn't need crazy action or big explosions to make the history books. Why do you think (Space Odyssey 2001, Planet of The Apes, Soylent Green, Brazil, Andromeda Strain, Omega Man etc....) are all topping the list. Sure those movies had a few action scenes but they weren't the focus. It wasn't until Star Wars that action took the drivers seat in sci fi movies. Luckily the original Star Wars trilogy had great actors and dialogue to support the movie. Star Wars paved the way for Avatar. If you notice tho, George Lucas tried to re create the Star Wars prequels with more action/special FX and less character development/ dialogue. We know how those prequels ended up..... That's why I seriously despise Avatar. People suck off that movie based on its special FX. The movie outside of the visuals is a steaming pile of shit. James Cameron robbed the American people big time on that one. Ironically I give Cameron more respect for Titanic than I do Avatar. That says A LOT.

I watched 40 minutes of this movie and had to turn it off because it was too boring. I'm going to give it another go though.

Ahhh the people of this generation. Go watch Andromeda Strain the 1971 version. That movie is a sci fi masterpiece that has little action and tons of dialogue, you probably would of gotten bored and turned that off also. Kids in this era have zero patience. The best sci  fi movies are the ones with long buildups and tense dialogue. All the greatest sci fi classics didn't need crazy action or big explosions to make the history books. Why do you think (Space Odyssey 2001, Planet of The Apes, Soylent Green, Brazil, Andromeda Strain, Omega Man etc....) are all topping the list. Sure those movies had a few action scenes but they weren't the focus. It wasn't until Star Wars that action took the drivers seat in sci fi movies. Luckily the original Star Wars trilogy had great actors and dialogue to support the movie. Star Wars paved the way for Avatar. If you notice tho, George Lucas tried to re create the Star Wars prequels with more action/special FX and less character development/ dialogue. We know how those prequels ended up..... That's why I seriously despise Avatar. People suck off that movie based on its special FX. The movie outside of the visuals is a steaming pile of shit. James Cameron robbed the American people big time on that one. Ironically I give Cameron more respect for Titanic than I do Avatar. That says A LOT.

I have a few questions for you. 

Have you seen this movie yet?

How old are you?

I agree with you though Avatar sucked ass, story was terrible, visuals were great, but great visuals does not make a great movie. 

2001 A Space Odyssey is a fantastic film, great story, great visuals, little dialogue.

This movie sucks, it follows the same structure of 2001, great visuals, and little dialogue, but it fails in that the story sucks ass. 

I want to stress, I'm not complaining about this movie because of a lack of action, I'm complaining because of a lack of any type of focus.  Its boring as hell, and hardly even delivers on the promise that this is an AVA movie there was so little music in this film, I had to question if I had indeed downloaded the correct film, it did not deliver on the promise of an Angels and Airwaves music based film at all if you ask me.  I would have preferred if this film were even less focused as long as they made much much more footage against AVA music.  You think that a film with no action and a ton of dialogue would bore one too if they found this film boring? How do you make that conclusion?  This movie had next to no action and no dialogue, and all the while when you had neither of those things happening, you also had nothing happening on screen, I mean literally there were minutes going by where you just stare at the guy sitting in his chair doing nothing, there are so many better and more effective ways to portray that time is going by and nothing is happening.  I mean it could have zero plot as long as it was visually appealing in its contrast to the music, but it didn't deliver on that, and thats simply why I don't like this movie.  its not what it claimed to be, it was boring as shit, and its nothing like 2001 which is a fantastic film.  I've got buddies that are amateur filmmakers that have made more entertaining short films that have absolutely no story.  This movie was a failure, and if you haven't seen it, then you really can't be judging others for what you perceive their film taste to be even though you don't have any clue what their actual movie taste is.  For example Markbrouhard, based on everything you've said, I'd say I have a similar taste in films to you, but this movie definitely did not appeal to me at all.  Like I said I agree with you, Avatar sucks ass, I didn't find it enjoyable in the slightest, but this abortion of a film is so much worse than that movie, its sad.

Beginning and End were great, middle was poor.

It needed another storyline in the middle. Maybe him reminiscing about loved ones he knows he probably wont see again, his regrets he left on earth etc. That would have added something interesting as well as contributing to the love message the film and AVA try to portray.

How old are you?

Trust me it's not a generational thing. All of my favourite movies are dialogue based, I actually don't like many action movies. I like Good Will Hunting, The High Cost of Living, Into The Wild, etc. Love was just poorly done from what I've watching. Too many scenes where nothing is going on as an excuse to play AvA intros.

Does anybody know what the point of the big huge black cube (the spaceship that crashed in the desert?) was?

Spoiler:

I'm sure the ending is deliberately vague, but there are a few things that the cube could be, if you know what Tom is into.

Look up the "Black Knight Satellite".

It's a little known conspiracy theory that before Sputnik first went into space they spotted a satellite was already orbiting the earth, and no one knew where it came from.

Then there is a thing that Tom talked about a few years ago, about a machine that records every single event that happens on the planet.

Don't ask me why they dropped it in the desert during the Civil War... probably just a way to the two stories together.

(spoilers)

Yeah, the cube's purpose was made pretty clear. But what we didn't learn is who is/are responsible for it (aliens? the Illuminati?). Probably better leaving that question open.

Anyways, saw the movie yesterday. I'd say it was "pretty good". I agree about the film starting to drag halfway through but acting, directing and visual effects were all solid. It's just the story that could've been better. I loved the Civil War scene at the beginning but they could've done more to better tie that part in with the ISS segment. But I liked the connection between the two Millers, that they were both saved so that they could work as scribes, to tell the history of Man ("everyone has a story to tell"). But I do think they failed to get the "love" message across. The soundtrack was good too. I did react every time I heard a sound from the double album which could be seen as a bad thing but an outsider obviously won't have this problem.

The dvd also has music videos for Hallucinations and Anxiety with some "making the video" footage. But this band needs a huge image revamp if they wish to be taken seriously.

(spoilers)

Yeah, the cube's purpose was made pretty clear. But what we didn't learn is who is/are responsible for it (aliens? the Illuminati?). Probably better leaving that question open.

Anyways, saw the movie yesterday. I'd say it was "pretty good". I agree about the film starting to drag halfway through but acting, directing and visual effects were all solid. It's just the story that could've been better. I loved the Civil War scene at the beginning but they could've done more to better tie that part in with the ISS segment. But I liked the connection between the two Millers, that they were both saved so that they could work as scribes, to tell the history of Man ("everyone has a story to tell"). But I do think they failed to get the "love" message across. The soundtrack was good too. I did react every time I heard a sound from the double album which could be seen as a bad thing but an outsider obviously won't have this problem.

The dvd also has music videos for Hallucinations and Anxiety with some "making the video" footage. But this band needs a huge image revamp if they wish to be taken seriously.

I agree. Even though I actually enjoy their music, I try not to think of their "image" when listening. I think Tom wants so badly to be taken seriously that he makes the band out to be more serious that it is. If they stopped with the whole matching jackets and change the world talk, they'd probably more popular, but Tom's attitude just kind of makes them seem douchey and ridiculous.