What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

I agree, that's also important to note, only the great films from those countries (like 3 Idiots) make it over and the ones that suck don't. It skews things heavily.

Actually there are some pretty shitty Indian movies which are rated really high on IMDB.

this was the very first thing i addressed. the answer is both yes and no. money helps the industry grow and allows more people to be hired; however, the majority of the people working on huge blockbuster sets are either making hardly any money at all or doing it for free because there's an endless amount of film students who need a resume and will gladly take their place.

some of those "smarter" films you mentioned that came from north american studios are great, but a country like France is constantly putting out films like that year round. in fact, Frances Ha is a downright rip off of various french new wave and leos carax films. and Prisoners was directed by one of the best french filmmakers around today. if these films came from Turkey, they would absolutely not have the same reaction because americans are too lazy to read subtitles; therefore, they wouldn't go see them. that's why hollywood constantly remakes foreign films. you even said yourself that you think reading subtitles "take away from the experience" (or something along those lines, which i don't get at all).

and what are we watching movies for? that's what i was initially trying to get at. i think there are people who watch movies to get the same joy one could get from an action packed video game and there are people who watch movies as a form of art. american films cater to the first group of people.

if not liking comic book movies makes me shallow or pretentious, so be it. i debate about this shit all of the time at school and some students think i'm pretentious as hell for it. but believe it or not, 95% of film students these days just want to be Christopher Nolan. and those students churn out fucking terrible work because they don't know how to make an audience feel anything.

So why is that different for blockbuster movies versus any other kind of movies? Teamsters and interns have been part of this for longer than you and I have even been around. This isn't a new phenomenom. Why do you place the blame on comic-book movie or whatever Nolan puts out. And that's a lot of industries, like writing is I guess my field and that's what I do. I write for free.  

Yeah, Frances Ha is clearly an homage to those french new wave films and it's blantant and sort of the charm of the film. It uses the same music from them too along with David Bowie and "contemporary" pop music. It's like a rivival of those types of films but it would still be great to see if the movie was made by a Japanese director and cast. But Denis Villeneuve is french-Canadian no?

My point isn't that American audeinces would respond to those films if they were brought over here, but they would be looked at by film scholars and cinephiles as some kind of renaissance if they had the year the USA had if these were all Iranian films. We're used to having a hand-ful of pretty amazing movies come out every year while other countries cream rises to the top because we're not around it. I would imagine it would be harder for somebody in Italy to see our greatest films versus the summer blockbusters that do well because you don't have to know the language to watch it. It's honestly hard to guage because I think out of all of the films that come out in a year, you can only see so many. So if you were to choose to only watch arthouse foreign films, you'd miss out on something. It's kind of great actually. There's always something to watch.

Also, I don't enjoy subtitles because I'm too focused on the subtitle to enjoy the acting. Not knowing the language, you lose the subtlties to the actor. I can't tell when somebody is being sarcastic or being facetious unless I'm watching it more than once. That was my point. But I will watch movies in another language totally. Tommy Wiseau is my favorite foriegn film director. Dude is like from another planet he's so good.

American films are now catering to foreign box office more than ever. That's why super-hero movies are so damn popular. X-men can make 150 million here, but will make three times that amount in the foreign box office.

Kevin, I'm curious. Do you like movies like say Dumb and Dumber? Or anything in the realm of 80s teen movies? What is your favorite bad Nic Cage movie? What's a good comedy to you?

Speaking of dumb comic book movies, I just got back from seeing Guardians of the Galaxy and I liked it a lot. It was so dumb, but that's part of what I liked about it. It's a silly movie and it knows it is. It takes itself way less seriously than any other movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far, and I was laughing the whole way through.

I take it back!!

I love them (mostly).

There isn't a movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far that I don't like. Although Iron Man 2 is by far my least favorite of them all and the one I'm least likely to ever want to watch again.

I'm still skeptical about the whole new DC cinematic universe. I kind of liked Man of Steel as an action/alien invasion movie but it did not feel like a comic book superhero movie to me at all. And it felt way too dark for Superman. Plus Superman basically helped destroy half of Metropolis and Smallville, and that seemed really weird to me. Going off just that movie, I don't know how excited I am about the rest of the DC stuff, but I'm going to give it a chance. I think Superman Returns felt 100x more like what I'd expect a Superman movie to be like than Man of Steel did, though I think Man of Steel was a much better movie.

Guardians is up there with my favourite MCU films. 

As far as DC goes, they can eat a dick. They had the option to play it slow and build their cinematic universe properly, but no, they realized they're against the juggernaut that is Marvel studios and think hey, we can beat that with one movie: Superman Vs Batman. Everyone then got excited because its batman fighting superman, why wouldn't you want to watch it. Then they stuffed in as many other characters as possible. The story will only get more convoluted and stupid purely because they're gunna have to end the film with the justice league being a thing. It's called Dawn of Justice for christs sake. 

As far as superman destroying metropolis goes, I agree that there was a lot of destruction caused by him, but look at what he's facing and where he is in his birth as the man of steel. This is the first case of him having to use his powers properly and go all out, plus it's against several stronger foes. 

Superman returns was ass, but hey, different strokes for different folks. 

Every Star Wars film is being showed here every Saturday night. I fucked the first 2 off because they're shite.

Watched episode 3 on Sat. Decent. Seen them before but not for years. The first breathe Darth Vader takes is fucking beyond epic. Anakin is a silly bastard.

Looking forward to A New Hope this Sat.

• Like 1

Superman wouldn't have fought in the city

But this was his first time being superman essentially. If the massive tower destroying the city is in the city, then thats where he'll fight. Sure he could have lead them away from the city, but hey, I guess he'll remember that for next time when he's smashing buildings down fighting batman

But this was his first time being superman essentially. If the massive tower destroying the city is in the city, then thats where he'll fight. Sure he could have lead them away from the city, but hey, I guess he'll remember that for next time when he's smashing buildings down fighting batman

I understand that, but that goes against all the history of the character...he was never really learning.