What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

14 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I was astonished by how bad it had aged. Seemed pretty stupid overall

OK I feel better now for my opinion.  Somehow I missed it when it came out and always felt like I was missing out on some great film, but as the credits rolled I just thought how lame it was.  @Ghent tells me I need to watch Shutter Island next and I think that's what I'm going to do this weekend.

12 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

OK I feel better now for my opinion.  Somehow I missed it when it came out and always felt like I was missing out on some great film, but as the credits rolled I just thought how lame it was.  @Ghent tells me I need to watch Shutter Island next and I think that's what I'm going to do this weekend.

I feel like people pretended to like that movie back in the day because it made them feel smart or something.

Shutter Island is way better. Only downside is you only get the full effect the first time you watch it.

1 hour ago, Speedo said:

I'll check it out, love me some westerns. 

You ever seen the Lonesome Dove series? I love that show. Robert Duvall/Tommy Lee Jones/Diane Lane/Danny Glover. Probably my favorite western, even though it's not a proper movie.

And fuck the haters, Dances with Wolves is one of the best movies of all time.

I'm not a huge fan of old school westerns though. I find them pretty lame. Modern is better. 3:10 to Yuma, Unforgiven, Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, True Grit, Open Range, The Revenant, Tombstone..Some good ones that come to mind

4 minutes ago, Ghent said:

You ever seen the Lonesome Dove series? I love that show. Robert Duvall/Tommy Lee Jones/Diane Lane/Danny Glover. Probably my favorite western, even though it's not a proper movie.

And fuck the haters, Dances with Wolves is one of the best movies of all time.

I'm not a huge fan of old school westerns though. I find them pretty lame. Modern is better. 3:10 to Yuma, Unforgiven, Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, True Grit, Open Range, The Revenant, Tombstone..Some good ones that come to mind

Seen and read the books, they're fucking great!

I'm a fan of some of the more popular old western ... Good, Bad & the Ugly, Fist Full of Dollars ... the Clint Eastwood stuff but I don't dabble too far into the old movies of the genre, the classics are classics for a reason ... the rest tends to be hastily made trash. Peckinpah makes some alright films too. 

Modern westerns are great though. It's nice you mentioned  Assassination of Jesse James ... everyone I know hated that movie 'cause it's slow but it's one of my favorite movies. I'm not sure I've seen Unforgiven or Open Range ... although, I probably have and just don't remember it.

Did you see Bone Tomahawk? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Speedo said:

Seen and read the books, they're fucking great!

I'm a fan of some of the more popular old western ... Good, Bad & the Ugly, Fist Full of Dollars ... the Clint Eastwood stuff but I don't dabble too far into the old movies of the genre, the classics are classics for a reason ... the rest tends to be hastily made trash. Peckinpah makes some alright films too. 

Modern westerns are great though. It's nice you mentioned  Assassination of Jesse James ... everyone I know hated that movie 'cause it's slow but it's one of my favorite movies. I'm not sure I've seen Unforgiven or Open Range ... although, I probably have and just don't remember it.

Did you see Bone Tomahawk? 

Have not seen Bone Tomahawk. Should I?

I wish they'd come out with some new Westerns from the Indian perspective.

Also, there needs to be a definitive movie about Custer's Last Stand. It's 2021, we can watch whitey take an L without getting triggered, surely...

4 minutes ago, Speedo said:

The books, by the way, if you haven't read them are fantastic ...

Lonesome Dove

Streets of Laredo

Dead Man's Walk

Comanche Moon 

... the continuity gets a little wonky at points between them but the stories are solid.

I have the Lonesome Dove book somewhere but have never read it. Will have to find it. The original tv series only covers the first one right?