What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

I want to give The Hobbit movies another go. I’ve only seen them once each. I thought they were okay, but obviously nowhere near as good as LOTR. I had high expectations for those movies though, sometimes going back a second time with lower—or at least different—expectations makes me enjoy the thing more. Ironically I remember liking the third movie the most even though it had the least to do with the actual source material.

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I want to give The Hobbit movies another go. I’ve only seen them once each. I thought they were okay, but obviously nowhere near as good as LOTR. I had high expectations for those movies though, sometimes going back a second time with lower—or at least different—expectations makes me enjoy the thing more. Ironically I remember liking the third movie the most even though it had the least to do with the actual source material.

I think I only ever gave the first two a go. By the time the third came around I had no interest. What I did find a few months ago is an edit someone has made so that it basically just follows the book without the filler as much as possible. Ends up being a 3.5-4 hour long movie but apparently it’s way better way to watch that trilogy. I should do it soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

I think I only ever gave the first two a go. By the time the third came around I had no interest. What I did find a few months ago is an edit someone has made so that it basically just follows the book without the filler as much as possible. Ends up being a 3.5-4 hour long movie but apparently it’s way better way to watch that trilogy. I should do it soon.

They should have stuck with the original plan to only do two movies. It could have been so good without all the pointless extra content. Pretty funny that LOTR fans love having longer versions of LOTR but pretty much universally wish The Hobbit was shorter lol

Been in a bad place, my girlfriend put on The Fundamentals of Caring. Would really recommend - great interplay between Paul Rudd and Craig Roberts. Selena Gomez is actually really good in it too. Road-trip comedy with an emotional core. Give it a go lads and lasses 

7 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

They should have stuck with the original plan to only do two movies. It could have been so good without all the pointless extra content. Pretty funny that LOTR fans love having longer versions of LOTR but pretty much universally wish The Hobbit was shorter lol

If you have some time to kill this youtuber did a great 2 part video series on the production woes of the Hobbit trilogy.  It really could have been something great.

Peter Jackson wasn't even set to direct, Guillermo del Toro was and they scrapped him hastily and brought back Jackson.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mr Blonde said:

Heat - fuck me what a film. Can’t believe it took me this long to watch it. 9/10

The diner scene. Two Titans going at it.

'BBQ's and ball-games? Fuck kind of life is that'

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

The diner scene. Two Titans going at it.

'BBQ's and ball-games? Fuck kind of life is that'

It’s fucking amazing isn’t it. 90s films were the best and the music we definitely peaked in the 90s

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Mr Blonde said:

Heat - fuck me what a film. Can’t believe it took me this long to watch it. 9/10

I don't like action films, but Heat is absolutely my favourite. The bank heist shootout and the diner scene are legendary. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

If you have some time to kill this youtuber did a great 2 part video series on the production woes of the Hobbit trilogy.  It really could have been something great.

Peter Jackson wasn't even set to direct, Guillermo del Toro was and they scrapped him hastily and brought back Jackson.

So painful. Jackson had to rush through it and with digital/cgi not props like the original.  Sad sad indeed. Would be like going to your hometown play a show for all your lovers and have a detuned guitar and shitty drummer.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 6:41 PM, JarJarBlinks said:

Watched this as well haha 

• Like 1

I don’t think Jackson doing the Hobbit movies from the start would have given us a LotR quality movie. Jackson had a cgi fascination. We weren’t going to get the practical props/sets/effects that we saw in the LotR movies. As I said earlier by RotK Jackson was already relying on cgi way more than he was in the first two. Viggo sums it up perfectly here:

“Also, Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back. In the first movie, yes, there’s Rivendell, and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes; it’s grittier. The second movie already started ballooning, for my taste, and then by the third one, there were a lot of special effects. It was grandiose, and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like that to the power of 10.

“I guess Peter became like Ridley Scott – this one-man industry now, with all these people depending on him,” Mortensen adds. “But you can make a choice, I think. I asked Ridley when I worked with him (on 1997’s GI Jane), 'Why don’t you do another film like The Duellists [Scott’s 1977 debut, from a Joseph Conrad short story]?’ And Peter, I was sure he would do another intimately scaled film like Heavenly Creatures, maybe with this project about New Zealanders in the First World War he wanted to make. But then he did King Kong. And then he did The Lovely Bones – and I thought that would be his smaller movie. But the problem is, he did it on a $90 million budget. That should have been a $15 million movie. The special effects thing, the genie, was out of the bottle, and it has him. And he’s happy, I think…”

I have no doubt that had Jackson taken the helm from the start we would have a better adaption of The Hobbit but it still would never have achieved the same mood/feeling of the LotR trilogy.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1