What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

7 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

I don’t think Jackson doing the Hobbit movies from the start would have given us a LotR quality movie. Jackson had a cgi fascination. We weren’t going to get the practical props/sets/effects that we saw in the LotR movies. As I said earlier by RotK Jackson was already relying on cgi way more than he was in the first two. Viggo sums it up perfectly here:

“Also, Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back. In the first movie, yes, there’s Rivendell, and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes; it’s grittier. The second movie already started ballooning, for my taste, and then by the third one, there were a lot of special effects. It was grandiose, and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like that to the power of 10.

“I guess Peter became like Ridley Scott – this one-man industry now, with all these people depending on him,” Mortensen adds. “But you can make a choice, I think. I asked Ridley when I worked with him (on 1997’s GI Jane), 'Why don’t you do another film like The Duellists [Scott’s 1977 debut, from a Joseph Conrad short story]?’ And Peter, I was sure he would do another intimately scaled film like Heavenly Creatures, maybe with this project about New Zealanders in the First World War he wanted to make. But then he did King Kong. And then he did The Lovely Bones – and I thought that would be his smaller movie. But the problem is, he did it on a $90 million budget. That should have been a $15 million movie. The special effects thing, the genie, was out of the bottle, and it has him. And he’s happy, I think…”

I have no doubt that had Jackson taken the helm from the start we would have a better adaption of The Hobbit but it still would never have achieved the same mood/feeling of the LotR trilogy.

Wow, I didn't realize all that. I guess that might be why I felt 'less' to the outmost minimal degree from Viggo in ROTK towards the end.  He's still my favorite character and ROTK is still in my top 10 movies all time so it's funny to criticize.

But, it was probably because he wasn't as comfortable fighting with the cgi.

I still think it would not be nearly as CGI as it is (Hobbit). Based on whatever short documentary I saw on it, they had to scrap almost half the sets and props due to timing and that's when Peter Jackson fully checked out and went full CGI to rush through everything.

2 hours ago, J3n said:

What's the best LOTR related game? I always liked that co op one that was literally just playing through the movie with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli

The shadow of Mordor/war games are pretty fun. Not LotR but set in middle earth. They don’t strictly follow the lore of Tolkien verse but they are good.

15 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

The shadow of Mordor/war games are pretty fun. Not LotR but set in middle earth. They don’t strictly follow the lore of Tolkien verse but they are good.

Shadow of Mordor was fun. I have Shadow of War but haven't started it yet. They're more just straight up combat games than anything that meaningful story wise. Well, the first one anyway

20 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Shadow of Mordor was fun. I have Shadow of War but haven't started it yet. They're more just straight up combat games than anything that meaningful story wise. Well, the first one anyway

There’s a lot more plot in War and it basically improves on everything the first game did and then adds more. Definitely give it a go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Blonde said:

Knives out - fuck me that was fun, me and the missus loved this, good fun to watch together. 8.5/10

I loved that movie but I watched it with my sister and my missus and they both hated it and slagged it off the whole time haha, no idea why it was really fun and Daniel Craig was great!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

19 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

and all of this culminates with the last Hobbit movie where they made a Dwarf character completely out of cgi.  If you haven't seen it you should, it's so cringe.

Lol wow I don’t even remember that. I do remember the orcs being CGI though and thought they looked terrible compared to the LOTR orcs. And I’m not even someone who hates on CGI usually. It was more the inconsistency with the previous trilogy that bothered me. Also for some reason they made Legolas’ eyes extremely unrealistically bright blue despite him having normal eyes in LOTR. I don’t get it.

I’m reading The Hobbit right now so I’ll probably give these movies another go after I finish reading it. My expectations are not great haha

2 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Lol wow I don’t even remember that. I do remember the orcs being CGI though and thought they looked terrible compared to the LOTR orcs. And I’m not even someone who hates on CGI usually. It was more the inconsistency with the previous trilogy that bothered me. Also for some reason they made Legolas’ eyes extremely unrealistically bright blue despite him having normal eyes in LOTR. I don’t get it.

I’m reading The Hobbit right now so I’ll probably give these movies another go after I finish reading it. My expectations are not great haha

look at this garbage man lmao. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kay said:

I loved that movie but I watched it with my sister and my missus and they both hated it and slagged it off the whole time haha, no idea why it was really fun and Daniel Craig was great!

My mother didn’t like it so I put it off. It was too quirky for her. I get it, but those ‘who done it?’ Films are normally quirky. Daniel Craig was great yeah. Apparently they’re making a second

24 minutes ago, Mr Blonde said:

My mother didn’t like it so I put it off. It was too quirky for her. I get it, but those ‘who done it?’ Films are normally quirky. Daniel Craig was great yeah. Apparently they’re making a second

Yeah I'm excited for it, they are quirky for sure. 

6 hours ago, Kay said:

Yeah you have to go into it knowing it’s campy to enjoy it I think. I liked it but knew what to expect

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I really don't think a film series that averages out at over three hours per film really requires extended versions to be honest...

The extended versions are made for the nerds who fucking love it. Not for the casual viewer. I made the mistake of putting the extended fellowship on when showing LotR to my gf for the first time. She found it way too long whereas I just wanted more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

The extended versions are made for the nerds who fucking love it. Not for the casual viewer. I made the mistake of putting the extended fellowship on when showing LotR to my gf for the first time. She found it way too long whereas I just wanted more.

Extended versions are so much better than theatrical cut but still not long enough. Where's Tom Bombadil bro

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Extended versions are so much better than theatrical cut but still not long enough. Where's Tom Bombadil bro

Exactly. The movies are long but I would fucking eat up another hour of some chubby cunt Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo-ing at me for another hour. Also where is my Scouring of the Shire? RotK was nearly 4 hours in the extended but fuck we deserved 5 if it included that.

Obviously from a theatrical point of view including that stuff would stupid. But for the nerds that just love this shit we want more.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Exactly. The movies are long but I would fucking eat up another hour of some chubby cunt Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo-ing at me for another hour. Also where is my Scouring of the Shire? RotK was nearly 4 hours in the extended but fuck we deserved 5 if it included that.

Obviously from a theatrical point of view including that stuff would stupid. But for the nerds that just love this shit we want more.

Having seen the movie before reading book I always thought Saruman was a questionably pointless character. His arc makes so much more sense with the scouring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Having seen the movie before reading book I always thought Saruman was a questionably pointless character. His arc makes so much more sense with the scouring.

Yeah exactly. It also gives the hobbits the rest of the hobbits a proper end to their arc as well. It’s obvious why it doesn’t work in a movie but it’s one of my favourite parts of the books.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

I really don't think a film series that averages out at over three hours per film really requires extended versions to be honest...

The extended cuts are actually way too short, but the original cuts are way too long for a casual movie goer.

If that makes sense.

The extended still cut out important little details from the books.

• Like 1