What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

6 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

You can dislike modern SW but it's really nothing like any of the Marvel movies.

Solo was fucking dreadful as were most of the new films. The only things I’ve liked were Rogue One and the first season of Mando (haven’t had a chance to watch the rest) my issue with SW and Marvel combined is just the “amount” of it that gets pushed instead of new content. It’s part of a larger issue of remakes and reimaginings instead of original story telling. 

8 hours ago, Kay said:

I don’t think Will Ferrell has ever been funny.

5 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

Same. He pisses me off so much.

4 hours ago, Mr Blonde said:

I’d love to punch his head in. Fucking bog brush headed cunt. 

It's very much Americanized humor.  He basically imitates an older frat dude who couldn't move on from the frat or a toxic business owner that we all know very well of here. I can see why no one would like him outside of the states but can't help but laugh at quite a bit of his stuff. Not as much anymore..But he's definitely parodying being super American most of the time.

I used to like him basically. Just look for different humor now

4 hours ago, Mr Blonde said:

Is it me or are films absolutely shit now? I’m sick to death of the Marvel shit for virgins. Cinema peaked in the 90s.

Yeah, we haven't had a peak since 90s-early 2000s run with entertainment in music and films imo.  Not sure why, think the instant accessibility to 'make an instant music or video with a button on an iphone' or no more film/tape takes away from the grueling process, which built character throughout the process in those works had to try harder? Or ideas ran dry? No idea but the well feels dry.

1 hour ago, Here I am, chorus in a Can said:

Yeah, we haven't had a peak since 90s-early 2000s run with entertainment in music and films imo.  Not sure why, think the instant accessibility to 'make an instant music or video with a button on an iphone' or no more film/tape takes away from the grueling process, which built character throughout the process in those works had to try harder? Or ideas ran dry? No idea but the well feels dry.

I just think tv has taken over. Everyone seems obsessed with ‘Binge watching’ 

Will Ferrell is a legend, not taking that bait or the SW is Marvel bait

There hasn't been an iconic comedy movie since probably The Hangover. That was 13 years ago. Sad

And if there's ever another it will likely go straight to streaming... I saw Superbad, Knocked Up, and the Hangover in theater in college and the screenings were packed with people laughing their asses off. Streaming could never replicate that

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

There hasn't been an iconic comedy movie since probably The Hangover. That was 13 years ago. Sad

And if there's ever another it will likely go straight to streaming... I saw Superbad, Knocked Up, and the Hangover in theater in college and the screenings were packed with people laughing their asses off. Streaming could never replicate that

Wedding Crashers is goated.

I agree, watching them in theaters was an experience altogether.  They are still good from home, but you have to experience that at least once or in a big group for the movie to hold staying power. 

Funny thing is, they just started streaming parties on Hulu (or HBO max?) I saw where you can watch it with several other people tuning in at same time, so they probably had the same idea.  Seems awkward though with the webcams.

I like Marvel and modern Star Wars. They’re not cinematic masterpieces or anything like that.  Just fun movies you can enjoy without having to think too deeply. I’m a sucker for an extended universe type thing too.

I don’t see how people get around to hating them for existing so much though. Like if you’re “sick to death of them” just don’t watch them lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I like Marvel and modern Star Wars. They’re not cinematic masterpieces or anything like that.  Just fun movies you can enjoy without having to think too deeply. I’m a sucker for an extended universe type thing too.

I don’t see how people get around to hating them for existing so much though. Like if you’re “sick to death of them” just don’t watch them lol. 

I don’t like Star Wars all that much, I never really have, even the original films. However, you’re right, I just don’t watch them … or more realistically, I put it on as background noise and browse my phone or something.
I like Marvel well enough but I think the problem gets to be over saturation. It’s not just a ton of Star Wars or Marvel movies coming out … it’s also everything else trying to ride coattails. Some of it’s good, some of it’s shit but it does get a bit old.
Star Wars and Marvel have a particular style to them and because of the popularity and profitability you get a ton of films and shows trying to ape it. That’s what I hate the most, it’s like watching Star Wars or Marvel with different characters. It’s just the trend now, it is what it is and it’ll move to something else soon enough.

There's sooooooooo much Marvel I don't get how you can't hate it.  

There's always a theme to whatever time period like '80s action movies', '90s crime dramas', fantasy for a bit in the 2000s with LOTR, SW, Harry Potter. Disney/Pixar always a mini must see.  Super hero movies were just never 'the most popular thing' for any point in my existence. Not since the 40s were they like this. Toby McGuire Spiderman and the X-Men stuff were chill, but I remember when the Marvel stuff all really took off not too long after Dark Knight or whatever Marvel movie first got super heros back in the limelight.

NEVER thought it'd last even half this long. It's like EVERYTHING now. We're all so used to it now, but blew my fucking mind to go from like Fantastic Four being the most bang average lower-mid movie experience to everything that is movies now and everybody is on board with superpowers and capes just because the extended universe thing finally just hooked everyone?

They have to be hypnotizing you guys, because as someone who's seen maybe part of Thor and Captain America, I can see it from an outside perspective still, they must be casting something out the screen, because even with the zero depth to the storylines, these movies are nothing better than the Toby McGuire Spiderman movies in 2002.  If anything, they are way worse and less to them.

Thanos looks like a WWE character that climbed through a sewer. 

The whole thing is not needing to last this long, genuinely blows my mind.

2 hours ago, Here I am, chorus in a Can said:

They have to be hypnotizing you guys, because as someone who's seen maybe part of Thor and Captain America, I can see it from an outside perspective still, they must be casting something out the screen, because even with the zero depth to the storylines, these movies are nothing better than the Toby McGuire Spiderman movies in 2002.  If anything, they are way worse and less to them.

You’ve only seen part of 2 movies? Or part of 1 and the entirety of another? Either way that’s a tiny percentage of the 28 movies and multiple tv shows to decide all of them have zero depth and are worse than other movies you’ve seen before. That’s not an outsider perspective you’re just regurgitating criticism that other people have said.

Thats like listening to one song off a bands first album and deciding the rest of that album and their entire 12 album discography that follows is going to be the exact same.

I’m not even saying you’re necessarily wrong but at least have a crack and form an actual opinion rather than just hating on something because it’s popular and others told you why you shouldn’t like all of it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

You’ve only seen part of 2 movies? Or part of 1 and the entirety of another? Either way that’s a tiny percentage of the 28 movies and multiple tv shows to decide all of them have zero depth and are worse than other movies you’ve seen before. That’s not an outsider perspective you’re just regurgitating criticism that other people have said.

Thats like listening to one song off a bands first album and deciding the rest of that album and their entire 12 album discography that follows is going to be the exact same.

I’m not even saying you’re necessarily wrong but at least have a crack and form an actual opinion rather than just hating on something because it’s popular and others told you why you shouldn’t like all of it.

I've seen enough. I've seen plenty in passing, only two I've sat down and really tried was Thor and Captain America. The rest majority I've seen on during family gatherings or w.e and found them as dumb as they look.

I still stand by the fact none of them even live up to the Tobey Mcguire Spiderman's, and those were not spectacular by any means but had way more going for it imo.

I see there's a reunion Spiderman with all 3 of them, might check it out.

The MCU is one of my favorite movie franchises as a whole. But none of the movies in it are movies that I would consider my favorite movies. I don't know if that makes sense but that's how I feel. As a whole the MCU is a major accomplishment and it's fun to see it evolve over the years. None of the movies are masterpieces but they're all fun and the Disney+ series are getting really weird which is a breath of fresh air too. The MCU is basically one gigantic TV show where every episode is a high-budget feature length film. I do love the big connected universe thing, so I guess I'm lucky that one of the only other big successful ones is Star Wars, which are some of my favorite movies of all time.

Anyway I saw Top Gun Maverick a few days ago and it kicked the original movie's ass. I always liked Top Gun but I watched it again after seeing Maverick and it was kind of disappointing after how good the sequel was lol

• Like 2

On 6/5/2022 at 2:30 AM, Strings_anus said:

Watching Staircase with Colin Firth.  Going in blind, so I'm really interested to see where this goes.

Rewatching Lost also, so much foreshadowing in these first few episodes. 

the documentary is so much better, I highly recommend it. it's just wild. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, Ghent said:

I concur with the theatre part as I saw all of those with packed houses and they were 10x better because of it. Talladega Nights also had an insane packed screening when I went. The place almost rioted when Ricky Bobby made out with SBC. Pineapple Express and Forgetting Sarah Marshall both were half-packed and killed too. Sausage Party and Deadpool were also packed when I went and they killed. 

I think the best comedy in the past 10 years was What We Do In The Shadows. 

• 3 weeks later...