What's The Last Movie You Watched?

Scott.

7 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

9-ACA980-D-7-BD9-4-C89-8-BF1-335-A1717-E

I’ve seen one, not sure which. Housemates put it on in uni. Bored out of my mind. Not big on fantasy, don’t have interest in the others or the books.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I just finished the novel a few weeks ago so I'm freshly ready to take down all anti-LOTR freaks.

I still read them every 12 months or so. Tried a different approach this year and got the audio books narrated by Andy Serkis. He puts voices on for all the characters, including his movie Gollum voice. Never tried an audiobook before but I don’t mind it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I still read them every 12 months or so. Tried a different approach this year and got the audio books narrated by Andy Serkis. He puts voices on for all the characters, including his movie Gollum voice. Never tried an audiobook before but I don’t mind it.

I've really wanted to listen to this, but...are audio books weird? 

10 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I've really wanted to listen to this, but...are audio books weird? 

Super weird. It took me a while get into it and actually find a way for me listen and take it in without getting distracted. I can’t just put headphones in and lie on the couch with it playing. I found putting it on while I’m driving is the best way for me or when I’m mowing the lawn/doing yard work. 

The one audiobook I tried just kept putting me to sleep. And I hated hearing dialogue from female characters in a man's voice or vice versa. Way too hard to pay attention and keep up when not able to reread sentences as when reading.

• Like 1

I usually use audio books for non-fiction so there aren’t a lot of voices being performed. 

The exception to that is The Dark Tower series. Frank Muller narrated the first 4 books and they were done fantastically. After his accident George Guidall took over for the latter books and it wasn’t the same.

It pays to do a little research on the narrator before choosing an audiobook. People are pretty upfront in their reviews on how the narrator does.

• Like 1

Can we talk about LOTR more for a second?

This trilogy was such lightening in a bottle too.  It was just before film started becoming out of date, so it still looked theatrical (unlike the Hobbit and stuff), and come at such a perfect time (way before GOT and any major popular medieval time movies outside of like Braveheart?).  

Most of all, Peter Jackson.  Up until this point, only known for his gorey tongue in cheek movies.  Which played perfectly into these movies, to give them that extra step from being just fantasy movies for kids, but also for adults and also the humor throughout.

Viggo Mortensen, was fucking made for that role.  

For our friends/siblings that loved Harry Potter just a bit too much, we were able to get our epic tale that was just so much cooler.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, J3n said:

Can we talk about LOTR more for a second?

This trilogy was such lightening in a bottle too.  It was just before film started becoming out of date, so it still looked theatrical (unlike the Hobbit and stuff), and come at such a perfect time (way before GOT and any major popular medieval time movies outside of like Braveheart?).  

Most of all, Peter Jackson.  Up until this point, only known for his gorey tongue in cheek movies.  Which played perfectly into these movies, to give them that extra step from being just fantasy movies for kids, but also for adults and also the humor throughout.

Viggo Mortensen, was fucking made for that role.  

For our friends/siblings that loved Harry Potter just a bit too much, we were able to get our epic tale that was just so much cooler.

Everything about the production was amazing. The entire production crew was so passionate about making these films and making them well and it definitely shows in the movies. Everything from set design to character design to whatever was just so perfect. They truly cared and you just don’t see that in movies these days. The entirety of New Zealand was doing whatever it could to make these movies work. It’s amazing. 

It’s a little bit of a shame that Jackson got a bit too much of a hard on for cgi In RotK. Especially with the deus ex machina ghosts. Kinda took some of the magic out that was present in the first two films. Not enough to ruin it or anything.

Did you ever have the dvds as a kid? They used to come with like 3 or 4 extra dvds that were just behind the scenes stuff from filming. I used to watch that shit all the time as a kid. Hours and hours of it. So good.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

It’s a little bit of a shame that Jackson got a bit too much of a hard on for cgi In RotK. Especially with the deus ex machina ghosts. Kinda took some of the magic out that was present in the first two films. Not enough to ruin it or anything.

Both Jackson and Viggo (imo) got a bit too indulgent in the final film..but like you said, nothing enough to ruin it. ROTK is still probably my 2nd of the trio, just because the storyline in it, but yes the ghosts and ents are a bit of an eyesore. I didn't hate it though.  The purity of the first one and most part second one was a bit better though.

12 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Did you ever have the dvds as a kid? They used to come with like 3 or 4 extra dvds that were just behind the scenes stuff from filming. I used to watch that shit all the time as a kid. Hours and hours of it. So good.

Yes, I had those extended edition DVDs that looked like book novels you bet.  I wish I could find them.

• Like 1

I watched Red Notice last night, because I will watch Ryan Reynolds in virtually anything.

fuck that filmed sucked. It was like if Michael Bay directed National Treasure and wished it was Indiana Jones. 4/10 because Reynolds was funny but damn that was bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2022 at 2:14 PM, Russel Coight said:

Super weird. It took me a while get into it and actually find a way for me listen and take it in without getting distracted. I can’t just put headphones in and lie on the couch with it playing. I found putting it on while I’m driving is the best way for me or when I’m mowing the lawn/doing yard work. 

This is my exact experience too. I like them but I have to be on a drive, on a walk, or doing something mindless like sweeping the floor or other routine chores, otherwise I can’t concentrate on the audio. They’re pretty great though when I can focus on them! I just started The Hobbit Andy Serkis audiobook. He does a great job! It definitely makes a big difference (at least in fiction) when the narrator does different voices for every character.