KROQ Acoustic Christmas Thread

munster182

blink was never that good live. this was a good performance. i put it on and listened to it in the background, it sounded straight from the 90s.

This is definitely better than the shit show they put on around 2003-2004. Too fast, sloppy, and horribly slurred words.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blink was never that good live. this was a good performance. i put it on and listened to it in the background, it sounded straight from the 90s.

This is definitely better than the shit show they put on around 2003-2004. Too fast, sloppy, and horribly slurred words.

Yeah, like this performance:

It's cool in a way because they put so much energy into these shows, but it can't be denied, Tom's slurring is horrible

Oliver, Tom's voice sounds decent, because he has NEVER sounded good live.  I don't know what kind of delusional world you live in where he apparently sounded great before they broke up, but now he's just awful.  Do you not remember us complaining about how shitty Tom sounded back in 2004 on these very same boards?  Because the complaints you see here today about Tom's voice are the very same ones you could see back before blink broke up. 

However, when he sounds like this, or when he sang Feeling This on TRL, or the Pepsi Smash show, he sounds better than he does when he just clearly doesn't show up in the voice department.  So for Tom's standards (which haven't changed over the years, don't be delusional) he sounded decent.

Its really just a matter of accepting this is how Tom sings live and very much how he has sounded live since at least the boxcar shows back in 2002, though I do have some 2001 bootlegs where he sounds just as bad.  So I guess the point is, for some reason you cling to this thought that Tom can sound better live, but most of us are well aware that Tom isn't capable of sounding better, and hasn't been able to for at least nearly a decade now.  I guess I find it very confusing that people still complain about his life, like really?  What do you expect from him live?  He has a great night every once in a while, but this is the quality we really should be expecting from Tom, nothing over the last 10 years has made me felt otherwise.

I don't agree. I think Tom has gotten progressively worse as the years have gone on. I don't think he was that bad in 2004/2005/ and even in 2006.

People have been complaining for years, and at first, I thought the complaints were kind of stupid. Even when I saw them in 2009, it was getting bad, but I thought it was still manageable. But now it has just gotten so ridiculous. His voice is just GONE.

I agree that Tom has never been perfect when singing, but there is not being perfect, and there is what he does now. I am not even sure I'd classify what he does now as singing.

Tom fell apart in 2006. I remember seeing Angels and thinking "what the fuck is wrong with his voice?" It all went downhill from there.

It's cool in a way because they put so much energy into these shows, but it can't be denied, Tom's slurring is horrible

i agree. compare that to this:

also, they had a lot more energy back in the 09 tour, but thats because tom was drunk out of his mind. he doesnt drink like that before shows anymore, and in return just looks a little bored at times

i agree. compare that to this:

also, they had a lot more energy back in the 09 tour, but thats because tom was drunk out of his mind. he doesnt drink like that before shows anymore, and in return just looks a little bored at times

What the hell was that!?

I forgot how sloppy he was on that tour. If I had to rate his performances on the last few tours, i'd do it like this

2011 > 2004 > 2009

2003-2004 = epic shows and some of them were total disasters but still fast, full of energy. then end of 2004 this is where they gave up.

perfect example of being really good live

perfect example of being very sloppy but still cool as fuck.

it may seem like the second video is more bad ass but you can see how they don't give a shit anymore. 

I'd take these shows over any of the reunion shows easily. Don't see how you can say Tom sounds better now then he does in that video you posted.

I think this was on that era in which he used to drink really often before shows.

Anyway, I like more that stage than actual one.

Nice interview, but I had the perception in some moments that Mark didn't let Tom speak too much.