Connection Problems?

_Kyle_

phpBB is always good. Do we actually know what the cause of the problem is? Is the application losing connection to the database, or are the server resources just running too high? Is it possible that the server is trying to do something else at the same time (such as a backup) that's making it drop out?

Yeah, it seems to go down at random sometimes, so I guess it wouldn't be a scheduled backup. I'm not opposed to switching to phpBB or something else, but I reckon if we just removed SMF and replaced it with something else we'd end up in the same boat with the new software unless we actually completely scratch the server and start again. It's a fairly sizable job considering how much data we'd have to back up / restore, but I think it'd be worth the downtime.

phpBB is always good. Do we actually know what the cause of the problem is? Is the application losing connection to the database, or are the server resources just running too high? Is it possible that the server is trying to do something else at the same time (such as a backup) that's making it drop out?

We had that before the boards crashed years ago.