blink-182 Song Meanings

Mau5

I'm wondering if we could compile a huge list of the meanings of blink-182 songs. I think it'd be a great idea, and I really enjoy listening or reading to the history of blink songs (such as what they did on the self-titled album). In any case, I figured that it would be stupid asking for one on these boards, but at the same time, I think this would be the best place to ask. So anyways, I guess I'll kick it off. Again, the point of this thread is to actually find out, deliberate, or just learn something new - about blink-182 songs. Some of them might be obvious to fans (which is why I thought this would be a great thread because I know a lot of you are bigger fans than I on blink history), and I also like hearing the different theories of song meanings to songs we may not know the meanings for or the background to the writing process that went into them. Anyways, I just found this out, thought it was cool

Pathetic

According to Tom Delonge, the woman in the song is his mother and is about dropping out.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obvious ones

Man overboard=Scott Raynor leaving Blink

Hearts all Gone=Mark's frustration with Tom (debateable).

Adam's Song=Mixture of Suicide/Depression/Finding the strenght to go on/ and Mark not being able to find anyone.

Anthem, Anthem Part 2=Attempt by 20 year olds to write a rebellion song for teens.

I think some of the songs have no meaning and some of them we will never know. Some of the song meanings are stupid. First Date is Tom's attempt to write to the 14 years olds another "All the Small things". It may have been record label demanded.

Obvious ones

Man overboard=Scott Raynor leaving Blink

Hearts all Gone=Mark's frustration with Tom (debateable).

Adam's Song=Mixture of Suicide/Depression/Finding the strenght to go on/ and Mark not being able to find anyone.

Anthem, Anthem Part 2=Attempt by 20 year olds to write a rebellion song for teens.

I think some of the songs have no meaning and some of them we will never know. Some of the song meanings are stupid. First Date is Tom's attempt to write to the 14 years olds another "All the Small things". It may have been record label demanded.

I still don't agree with that. I can see the valid point for itbut Mark had several years to write a song against Tom with +44... Why would he wait until he's back with Blink, when they've all made up, to write one?

I still don't agree with that. I can see the valid point for itbut Mark had several years to write a song against Tom with +44... Why would he wait until he's back with Blink, when they've all made up, to write one?

Well he did write a song about Tom in +44 and after Plus 44 he didn't write much of anything. So I imagine this song was actually written sometime between +44 and the new Blink album and he had this good song with no vehicle to release it, so he waited and put it on the Blink album.

^Tom said something like "I know mark wrote a song about me for this record, and that's okay."

My Pet Sally- Tom's teacher

Easy Target - Tom's friend from high school getting played by some girl named Holly

Josie- Mark's ideal girlfriend

What's my age again- Mark wrote this about how all his friends think he's too immature.

All the small things - Tom's song for his girlfriend, written out of guilt lol

Carousel - Struggling with putting a band first (I think)

Apple shampoo - About a girl mark had a crush on who used apple shampoo

It's clearly about Tom though, not that it's a big deal. We fell in love by the side of the road. Didn't Tom go over to meet him and the first thing that happened was Mark was outside climbing a street light by the side of the road and jumped off it and broke something? They both laughed it off and became best friends. This happened in California which has a nickname of "the desert" , "You only care about fame and fortune.."

Whatever, I think it's a dick move on Mark's part anyway, not Tom's. That's how Tom is, and if you can accept that enough to continue this band that keeps YOU relevant don't cunt and moan about it in a song you share in a band with that guy.

Wishing Well- Tom's failure in AVA and struggling attempts to find himself.

Kaleidoscope- Frustrations and ruminations about the recording process.

Ghost on the Dancefloor- Coping with death

Up All Night- The anxiety and guilt associated with the break up.

This is Home- an anthem for old blink fans who lived the TOYPAJ life and still embrace it now that they are older.

HAG was Mark's view of the break up, sort of a tom fucked up song, and then Wishing Well seems to be Tom' view where he admits he was a bit of an asshole but now they're back and he's going to enjoy it.  That's why I especially like the order on the album.

Ha, cool observation, never made that link before, but seriously good point.

Ghost On the Dancefloor is apparently specifically about hearing a song which reminds you of someone who's passed away. The song comes on, and you recall all the memories... hence the title.

Up All Night is about everyone having the same fears and anxieties but in the end we're all in this together.

Not really sure of the song meaning but some people say the second verse of After Midnight references parts of 'I Miss You' - not sure if intentional or not.

Snake Charmer - I think about being led astray ... but using the Adam & Eve story as a way of illustrating this.

Even If She Falls - I actually think this is one of the coolest songs lyrically on the album. To me it's about this girl who you so want to be with, but for whatever reason it can never happen or she won't ever let it happen. You love her to death, but she's still 'so cold' and it 'drives you mad'. It's about how you can both love someone and yet have them tear you apart at the same time.

Will post some other interpretations of earlier songs later - cool topic.

Not really sure of the song meaning but some people say the second verse of After Midnight references parts of 'I Miss You' - not sure if intentional or not.

as mark said, after midnight is about troubled love. i interpret it as a platonic/"friendzoned" realtionship. it refers to "all of this", "always" and "i miss you" (see the fourth verse) as 3 similar (slightly different) way of wanting/loving someone. but it's just an unrealized desire. i like it how every verse ends with "driving me crazy".

I remember Mark making note that After Midnight was written about a relationship that was fucked up, but it was still beautiful. Someone needs to dig up the audio from when he answered fans questions online, I remember watching it a couple of hours before my exam right after the release and he answered everything very specifically.

^Tom said something like "I know mark wrote a song about me for this record, and that's okay."

My Pet Sally- Tom's teacher

Easy Target - Tom's friend from high school getting played by some girl named Holly

Josie- Mark's ideal girlfriend

What's my age again- Mark wrote this about how all his friends think he's too immature.

All the small things - Tom's song for his girlfriend, written out of guilt lol

Carousel - Struggling with putting a band first (I think)

Apple shampoo - About a girl mark had a crush on who used apple shampoo

I think that was Jerry Finn wasnt it?