blink-182 Song Meanings

Mau5

^Tom said something like "I know mark wrote a song about me for this record, and that's okay."

My Pet Sally- Tom's teacher

Easy Target - Tom's friend from high school getting played by some girl named Holly

Josie- Mark's ideal girlfriend

What's my age again- Mark wrote this about how all his friends think he's too immature.

All the small things - Tom's song for his girlfriend, written out of guilt lol

Carousel - Struggling with putting a band first (I think)

Apple shampoo - About a girl mark had a crush on who used apple shampoo

I think that was Jerry Finn wasnt it?

Yup, it was Jerry Finn.  As a kid some chick named Holly invited him over but then came out from behind a bush and sprayed him with water.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing what the neighorhoods songs are about really makes you dig it more. And I always thought/hoped wishing well was about blink. That's the way I introduced it every time I played it for my friends lol "This one's about blink".

when you read wishing well's lyrics it's pretty clear the song is tom talking about his recent life events.

reaching for everything and getting burned in AVA. being diagnosed with skin cancer. sorting his troubles while driving back and forth from LA to San Diego while recording...

the only thing unclear to me is the "got caught like a little kid stealing and gonna pop better duck and cover" parts.

^Tom said something like "I know mark wrote a song about me for this record, and that's okay."

My Pet Sally- Tom's teacher

Easy Target - Tom's friend from high school getting played by some girl named Holly

Josie- Mark's ideal girlfriend

What's my age again- Mark wrote this about how all his friends think he's too immature.

All the small things - Tom's song for his girlfriend, written out of guilt lol

Carousel - Struggling with putting a band first (I think)

Apple shampoo - About a girl mark had a crush on who used apple shampoo

I think that was Jerry Finn wasnt it?

Yup, it was Jerry Finn.  As a kid some chick named Holly invited him over but then came out from behind a bush and sprayed him with water.

I thought she asked him to prom, "take a deep breath, I know I'm gonna regret it", he said yes even though he knew she was about to fuck with him.  She shows up and sprays him and drives away.

Hahaha, Aria, shhhh.

whoever has the tour programs, i know in the era of enema their are song descriptions for every song off enema. also, i think they might have done it again for untitled in that tour program too. (that was the 2003 tour, i may have got it at the dolla bill tour)

sadly, ive sold those now so if anybody does have them, check it out and it would help a lot to cover songs that youd want to compile for this topic.

First Date by Tom

Every dude gets nervous whether we admit it or not. I thought about the first date I had with my lady and put every one of those feelings in this song. I always envy girls. If they want a kiss, it's super easy, they just open their face and do it. For a guy, you have to hope to God she wants one. If not, you are a chump and you go home a wounded soldier. - Has anyone ever kissed someone with bad breath? Don't ever kiss someone who eats dog shit.

Anthem Pt. 2 by Tom

This is a song that I'm super proud of. It is really all about being a kid and feeling like fuck, if everybody says I'm fucked up and I'm wrong and I need to act differenty then hey - it's your fault (the adults) cause they are the ones that chose my schools, laws, and well... you get the picture.

Reckless Abandon by Tom

Everybody has old summer memories. This is my song about going to the beach and hanging with my homeslices. This song is about going skateboarding from 12 noon to 12 midnight every day of the week. And most of all, it's about going to parties when peoples' parents were gone. This is a song about kids recking the town and leaving a sign to the next generation... one that they will have to top.

Please Take Me Home by Tom

Every boy falls in love every once in awhile with a friend of theirs. A girlfried. Not a dude friend. Unless of course, you like dudes, and that's fine too. Anyway, this song is crazy influenced by one of my favorite bands, Fugazi. This is one of my top fav songs on the record. I think it sounds so cool, it just has a cool groove to it. Next record will leave more songs like this and STFTK. These songs are fun to play. Oh yeah, girls take hearts and eat them, beware dudes.

Don't Tell Me It's Over by Tom

One of my favorite lines I ever wrote is: "Guys like to run, chicks love to yell you see, guys hate to fight, girls think it's therapy." This is more true then air. Dudes are like, calm down, and chicks need to talk it out over a period of two weeks.

Give Me One Good Reason by Tom

I felt like I was the only one in high school who liked my kind of music. Punk rock was only listened to by me, and a couple of skinhead friends. Anti-racist skins. Since 7th grade, that's all I ever listened to. Punk rock to me is about being who you are and hating everyone else. Luckily there happens to be some music to go along with the feeling. Never ever try to be like the popular kids. Fuck them. regardless of what people say, I've been a punker since 7th grade, when most of our fans were in kindergarten. So never confirm, love who you are. Fuckers.

What Went Wrong by Tom

All songs start on acoustic guitars for us. So this one, we left on the acoustic. I love this song. It's so sad, and pretty, and has that sappy little clarinet thing in it. There is a song that starts the movie "Angus". This song was inspired by that song. The band is called "Love spit Love." It's the guy from a cool 80's band called Physcadellic Furs.

Time To Break Up by Tom

Guys can never please girls. They are two species that will never see eye to eye. My friend Blair, he's standing in line for Enema, and broke up with this chick and freaked out. He second guessed everything. He realized that maybe he shouldn't have broken up with her. Well, alot of people do that. With your wite someone, the grass is always greener. Then when you part, you start to miss all the cool things that only you can share. You better be damn sure when you leave somebody, you might not get them back when you come to your senses.

Story Of A Lonely Guy by Tom

Another song about heartache - I remember always feeling like the world might be a little different if everybody wasn't such a pussy and said what they wanted to people they liked. The problem is, people are too scared of rejection. How many times have you seen somebody somewhere, but didn't say a thing. Next time, fuck it, if you like someone, say something. The worst that could happen is they'll smile and say "thanks" or "no thanks". -Note- The little "duh da duhs" are inspired from listening to David Bowie in the skateboard film "The End".

The Rock Show by Mark

A few years ago there used to be a club in San Diego called "Soma". It was covered with Graffitti, it stunk, it was made of metal, the sound sucked, and the toilets were always overflowing. It was the best, we loved it. We used to watch bands play there every weekend. Blink-182 began in this club. This song is about those days. Soma isn't around anymore. The city hates it when kids have somewhere to go and hang out. Fuck them.

Everytime I Look For You by Mark

I honestly have no idea what this one is about.

Happy Holidays, You Bastard by Mark

This song is the one that really pisses your parents off. I wrote this song on Christmas Eve, because I was way behind on wrapping presents, and rather then take carer of the problem, I picked up a guitar and wrote a fucked up song about it. I finished wrapping them at about 3 in the morning.

Online Songs by Mark

Have you ever broken up with a girl? Yeah, me too. This song is about the thoughts that drive you crazy when a relationship ends. Tom knows this feeling well. He has no friends. Girls hate him, and with good reason. So I guess this song is really about Tom and how he hates it when girls break his heart.

Roller Coaster by Mark

I used to date this girl, and I couldn't tell anyone about it. The whole situation sucked, so I wrote a song about it.

Shut Up by Mark

Throughout life, people will try to control you, tell you how you should live, what you should think, how you should act. This is my message to those people. Like Bad Religion says: "Everybody knows what's best for you."

Stay Together For The Kids by Mark

Divorce sucks. Its so fucked. But hey, I'm not the only one to go through it. I guess parents are people too. Just lock yourself in a room, mine was my personal sanctuary.

Dumpweed

That's all about wishing you had a girl you could train. I remember writing the song thinking about my dog. You can train the dog to sit, to be quiet, to be a good dog. But you can't teach a girl to do anything. So I thought that'd be cool to write a song about...If only you had a girl that you could train like a dog, that'd be cool because then she could never make you mad, and she would never be a woman. And women are just a whole different species. So that song was written [like] 'As if...'

Don't Leave Me

Mark wrote that song, so I can't really speak about what was going through his mind when he wrote that one. But I can judge on the lyrics. He wrote that song when he didn't even have a girlfriend, so I don't know who he's talking to. Sometimes you write a relationship song that really doesn't have that much deep meaning. I think it's just like that feeling when you're really in love with a girl, you're just thinking 'Please, please, please don't stop liking me.' That's the gist of the song. All the times you put your feelings into liking a girl, and she doesn't like you at all, and she thinks you're a scumbag. So therefore that song's like a prayer to a girl. Always hoping that you won't make the girl throw up forever, always hoping that the girls will love you. We speak for all males, we write songs hoping that girls will like us dirty rotten boys for a long time.

Aliens Exist

As a hobby all I ever do is read books and study material on UFOs and government conspiracies. So I wrote a song about a guy talking about aliens as though he's had a weird experience but nobody believes him, they think he's full of shit. But he's directing his angst toward the government, because the government knows there's something going on. But I'm one of those freaks that really believes that stuff exists. I think if anybody out there does a little bit of research they will find that they side with me. I think it's just a cool song coming from that point of view. I read books about abductions, and there are hundreds of thousands of people a year have an experience at night and they don't know what it is, they just know what they saw and what they felt, but nobody believes them.

Going Away To College

That's a super-romantic song. Mark wrote the song as though you are a boy leaving your girlfriend, after years of school together. After high school, when you're leaving to go to college, and what do you say to this girl that you've been in love with for years, but now have to leave for years? I don't think it gets more romantic than that. It's a sad song and it's really moving. It's one of my favorite songs on the record, and the way the lyrics flow with the music, I just think it's a really sad, emotional song. It's something a lot of people go through. You probably date a girl in high school and grow up with her and learn so much about each other and have so many growing pains and have to leave to go to college. Do you stay with her, do you break up with her, do you have faith in the relationship...? I don't know. That's a cool thing to write a song about.

Dysentery Gary

I wrote that song from a point of view. What if you were a guy who liked a girl, but the girl likes a different guy? It's kinda like 'I hate that guy, but I'm not sure why I hate him.' That's where it's supposed to come from. This guy is really frustrated because this girl doesn't like him, so he's going to make fun of this other guy. 'I can't think about any cruel things to say about him, but f%#k, I just don't like him.' That's the attitude that song has. 'And this girl broke my heart.' That'll make you feel a little bit better.

Adam's Song

The story behind that is Mark read a letter someone sent him as an email, that a kid wrote before he committed suicide to his parents. We kind of got together and wrote this sad, slow song. It came out sadder than we ever thought it would, which is good too. Any song that moves you is good. Some people listen to it and go 'Wow, that's a real bum-out of a song.' But it's one of those things, a story of a kid not being happy in his life, crossed with us being really lonely on tour. At the end of it there's a better way out, there are better things to do than kill yourself.

All The Small Things

'All The Small Things' is a song I wrote for my girlfriend while we were recording. I had to write her a song, because I wrote songs about other girls, but I haven't written one for her. So I was kinda getting some heat for that. Not really though, because I love my girlfriend, so I was like, 'I need to write a rad song' because I was scared - if the song came out bad, my girlfriend would be pissed. So I kinda warned her that it would come out bad. Then it came out good, so I was happy. But the lyrics are totally true in that song - 'She left me roses by the stairs.' I remember I came home late one night about midnight and she left roses on the stairs because I was working late every night in the studio. It's a song for everyone to have sex by.

The Party Song

That song is about going to one of those parties and people getting drunk and being stupid and girls trying to be the center of attention. It's just about girls trying too hard, acting like dimwits. I think we've all been there, we've all been to those parties where there's all these guys creeping out on three girls who just can't get enough attention.

Mutt

'Mutt' is a song I wrote about my friend Benji Weatherly, a professional surfer who has sex all the time. His name's Benji, but everyone nick named him Mutt, and it's just a song about a guy and a girl who like to have sex and who don't really care about much of anything else. I guess that doesn't really matter, as long as they're having fun. It's not too deep. As long as it seems deep, that's all that matters.

Wendy Clear

'Wendy Clear' is a song Mark wrote about this girl he had a crush on. He liked her but he really couldn't date her because she was a very influential person in the music industry. So them dating was a very tricky situation. 'I wish it didn't have to be so bad,' is how the song goes.

Anthem

'Anthem' is a song I wrote about having a party at your house, your parents coming home and finding out. I did that to my friend one time. I wanted my band to play - in high school - at my friend's house. His parents left only until midnight, but I still told the whole school that we were playing there. Thousands of people showed up, and then they all had to leave and we had to clean up the place before the parents came back at 12. It was so funny. The whole place chipped in with the clean up, but the cops showed up and his parents found out that way. So he ended up getting in to a lot of trouble. I couldn't believe that I invited all those people over and his parents were only away until midnight. The stereo was broken...there was a fight, there was blood everywhere. It was so funny.

--------

All from Tom.

All from Mark.

Apple Shampoo

This song is about a girl I had a crush on, and she used apple shampoo, and her hair always smelled like it.

Dick Lips

This song was written by Tom, and he had no title for it. The day that we recorded it, our producer asked what the title for the song was, and tom had none. On that particular day, I was stoked on the phrase "Dick Lips," and was calling everyone that name through the whole session. When Trombino asked tom for the title, I suggested dick lips as the name, and tom was stoked on it. We originally were going to come up with a better title when the record actually came out, but we ended up liking the name, and it stuck.

Emo

Emo is actually a style of music, and we thought this song kind of sounded like an emo song when we worte it. During rehearsals, we would say, "hey, let's play that emo sounding song again." The title stuck.

Lemmings

Lemmings are animals which follow one another and run off of cliffs into the sea to their deaths. The song is about an old friend of mine who expected everyone to follow what he said was correct. Most of the time, what he thought was correct was really idiotic. He expected us to be lemmings...

A New Hope

This is the actual title of Star Wars. Watch the beginning credits when the words scroll up the screen.

Waggy

I made this word up while belching, and wanted to title a song with it. This was the song that got stuck with that title.

These explanations used to be everywhere and on almost every Blink 182 fan site, but they were a bitch to track down now. I know there were a few more ones for Dude Ranch from various interviews. Like there was a huge explanation about Josie and how she didn't exist and Mark was lonely on the road, etc.