blink-182 Song Meanings

Mau5

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we now have a topic for this sort of stuff:

"She makes me feel like it's raining outside... and when the storm's gone I'm all torn up inside."

Obviously the song's about being nervous / not having the nerve around a girl, but that line in the chorus has always kinda thrown me, and I'm curious to hear how other people interpret it?

Part of me takes it as a positive 'nice feeling' - ie. she makes you feel all safe and warm, you're inside rather than being out in the rain...

...but then - making more sense with the rest of the song and the second half of the lyric - you could also view it as her being likened to a rainstorm?

Thoughts? I just really like the line, but I can't really work out how I should interpret it!

i think it's almost literal. when the guy sees this girl, he starts to sweat like crazy, then when the situation calms, he realizes he hasn't done anything again, so he can just distress himself, bringing out the constant feeling of impotency.

Story of a Lonely Guy is pretty literal. I used to always chuckle at the beginning line "Push it out, fake a smile, avert disaster, just in time." My 8th grade mind was in the gutter.

I love mark's da, da,'s in that tune. Also great they combined their voices during certain parts of the chorus like that, it's very subtle.

I love the way that sounds.  I think he's saying she makes him feel like everything else is chaos but her, and also like he's warm, safe, away from it.  That's so pretty, I've never really thought about it.

Cool, and I didn't really think about it like that either re. 'being an escape from chaos'. That kinda makes sense to me, and then fits in with the next line. She represents being safe, warm and away from chaso, but then the line after about being torn up inside is saying that despite that, the chaos then becomes somewhat internal since she'll never be with him / he'll never find the courage to tell her how he feels, and that tears him up. It's like she is both the 'answer' to all his troubles (ie. if he went out with her) and yet is also the cause of all his troubles (ie. not having the guts to ask her out). I like that.  :-)

(Over-analysis of lyrics - always a good past-time  :wink:)

A blink song I don't get is untitled, it's probably my favourite lyric ever made, but I'm not really sure what it means. Is it kind of like Please take me home, he slept with a girl he was friends with and ruined the friendship? Or is it just a friend that has held a grudge to him and now the friend disapoints him and rids him of the guilt?