Things you want on the next album.

Fishguts182

More synth, better bridges (Neighborhoods only had one good one, Snake Charmer, and maybe After Midnight), more HAG-like (straightforward) Mark songs instead of that Kaleidoscope/Gravity stuff, Tom doing all the guitar parts.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More synth, better bridges (Neighborhoods only had one good one, Snake Charmer, and maybe After Midnight), more HAG-like (straightforward) Mark songs instead of that Kaleidoscope/Gravity stuff, Tom doing all the guitar parts.

Agreed, Tom should play all the guitars, Mark plays all the bass, that's how it should be.  Also that helps the uniformity of the sound.

Agreed, Tom should play all the guitars, Mark plays all the bass, that's how it should be.  Also that helps the uniformity of the sound.

You do realize Mark has written a lot of guitar parts for Blink over the years right?

You do realize Mark has written a lot of guitar parts for Blink over the years right?

Lol of course I know that, when did I ever say that he didn't?  I just said that Tom should play the parts, not that Tom should write them all.

Definitely more acoustic stuff. I feel like since they write the majority of the music on an acoustic guitar it seems fair that some of it stays that way.

I want a bridge on the next album...just one, we didn't get any this album. Blink do awesome bridges. Like Feeling This, Stockholm Syndrome, Reckless Abandon to name a few.

Neighborhoods was all Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Breakdown, Chorus.

They just did a weak breakdown on all the songs, and whilst I still think they sound awesome, it sounds fairly formulaic when it is repeated on all songs. For example GOTDF, Natives, After Midnight, Hearts all Gone, Wishing Well, Kaleidoscope, Mh 4.18.2011, Love is Dangerous, Even If She Falls all have that instrumental breakdown.

I might have messed up some terminology there but I think the point is clear.

You mean like vocal bridges? Because the "breakdowns" you refer to are bridges, they just lack vocals, at the same time had they added vocal bridges to all the songs you listed I feel It would have gotten old, I'm not saying you are wrong, I agree but only about half, I feel that some of those songs deserved an intrumental "bridge" to the songs.  I also agree, that at least vocally, they could have done more with a couple of bridges.  I also feel weird using the word "breakdown" with blink182 haha..

Lol of course I know that, when did I ever say that he didn't?  I just said that Tom should play the parts, not that Tom should write them all.

Lol ok sorry understood you wrong.

I would like more back and forth vocals.  Like Pathetic, or the end of Feeling This. I love the harmony(or whatever) between them on the end of that song. 

Honestly, I just want a record that doesn't sound like it was produced separately. It is so easy to tell which songs are "Marks" and what songs are "Toms" - something that you really could never really differentiate prior to the breakup, and even when you could, it would still have the "blink" feel to it, if that makes sense to anyone.

Case in point: look at a song such as After Midnight, arguably (if not one of) the best song on the Neighborhoods album - a song that came together when all three of them created it together, in the same studio. Not to mention both Mark and Tom have admitted at different times during the recording process/release that they felt they are the best when all three are together. As Mark once said - blink-182 is not a Frankenstein band, where the magic behind blink-182 is created when all three are together (or at least Mark and Tom).

Lol I felt the same way. It's so obvious who did which songs and wrote which guitar part. Just shows how much this album was recorded in seprete studios.

i don't really care who plays what, i just don't want to be able to tell who plays what. they need to have the same guitar tone, and that comes from recording in the same studio together.

That's part of it for sure.  But also Tom has a unique style of playing guitar, so the same part played by Tom will sound slightly different than played by Mark.  I know it's picky but I think little stuff like that could really help overall.

Yea they DO need a producer...they can get who ever they want but still wanted to do it there selfs. Having a producer on neighborhoods I believe would have made the album sound more like an album.

There te person that sits on the outside of the box and hears things the band can't hear because they are so deep into there own creation they think it sounds good.

i think they should get a producer as well. not sure who though. they might not even need one if they all work in the same studio with the same engineers

i don't really expect a certain sound from the album. i prefer them to change it up every time and surprise me. the only time they failed to do that was with TOYPAJ (enema re-hash). but every time they've changed their sound i've been into it, so i probably won't be disappointed. the only thing i disliked about neighborhoods was the uneven sounding production and lack of a "flow" i guess.

i feel like they feel like nobody is good enough now that jerry finn is gone.

i think they need more enema of the state and take off your pants and jacket stuff. that was their prime, when people really started to love blink.

It's not gonna happen though because they're not in their 20's anymore.