Dexter Season 7

Fishguts182

I didn't like the 6th season and this season, while better in some respects, has totally disappointed me with the ending.

To me, the series has been about moral ambiguity. It's wrong to kill people, but guided by the code, Dexter was only killing other killers. He wasn't the most upstanding citizen, but I don't think you'd call him totally evil, like most of his victims. Before this season, I don't think Dexter would have seriously considered murdering LaGuerta. In season 2, he wanted to kill Doakes, but couldn't bring himself to do it. This should have been a similar situation. I know he has a lot more to lose now, being a father and having Debra's career/freedom threatened, but I still don't think it's a choice he should have made. Now, Dexter is no better than the people he was killing.

And Debra. I didn't like that she was willing to cover for Dexter. It seemed totally against who she was before this season. It bothered me, but I could live with it. But killing LaGuerta? Fuck that. That's not her, that's not the character. That's horrible writing.

I know people didn't like LaGuerta, I know lots of people will be glad that she's dead, but she was doing her job. And she was actually doing it well (for once). Her death should be treated the same way as Ellen Wolf's. She may not have been likeable, but she didn't deserve to die. Didn't Miguel try to kill LaGuerta too?

I hope both Dexter and Debra end up in jail.

I think it's what the writers are trying to say Patient #48273, trying to show that it was always going to get out of hand and that he would be forced into making such an awful decision. Remember Deb loves Dexter as well, love makes people do crazy shit (she's already done enough as it is) and she was also covering her back as all the shit she knew about Dexter and covering up for him would probably be revealed.

I think they will end up getting caught but a part of me doesn't want them too, I like the whole anti hero thing and fuck it, it's escapism...would never route for it in real life so may as well just enjoy it in a TV show.

i'm not saying that it will, or is even a remotely close idea of an outcome, that was just my thinking last night.

he'll wake up on somebody's table. 

it almost seems like a copout ending, but i think it'd be even weirder to see him arrested or to see him happily get away with everything.

I didn't like the 6th season and this season, while better in some respects, has totally disappointed me with the ending.

To me, the series has been about moral ambiguity. It's wrong to kill people, but guided by the code, Dexter was only killing other killers. He wasn't the most upstanding citizen, but I don't think you'd call him totally evil, like most of his victims. Before this season, I don't think Dexter would have seriously considered murdering LaGuerta. In season 2, he wanted to kill Doakes, but couldn't bring himself to do it. This should have been a similar situation. I know he has a lot more to lose now, being a father and having Debra's career/freedom threatened, but I still don't think it's a choice he should have made. Now, Dexter is no better than the people he was killing.

And Debra. I didn't like that she was willing to cover for Dexter. It seemed totally against who she was before this season. It bothered me, but I could live with it. But killing LaGuerta? Fuck that. That's not her, that's not the character. That's horrible writing.

I know people didn't like LaGuerta, I know lots of people will be glad that she's dead, but she was doing her job. And she was actually doing it well (for once). Her death should be treated the same way as Ellen Wolf's. She may not have been likeable, but she didn't deserve to die. Didn't Miguel try to kill LaGuerta too?

I hope both Dexter and Debra end up in jail.

She did it out of love. It just goes to show how far you will for someone you love and how much you will change yourself to protect that person

If you'd kill an innocent person because she's threatening to expose someone you love as the serial killer he is, you have a warped sense of morality. I don't buy it.

with all due respect, in this work of fiction, there's a lot of things that you can't exactly "buy."

you just more or less accept the show as it is.

for instance, i sincerely doubt dexter could just inject people in broad daylight and kidnap them as easily as he always seems to. 

p.s. agreed. i liked dexter with hannah. seemed happy. ergo, it could not last.

p.p.s. think deb and dex will ever fuck? or is that just too weird? 

Obviously, you have to suspend your disbelief to some extent for pretty much any work of fiction. I don't mind doing that, in fact, I've done it pretty faithfully throughout the series. There are certain unrealistic elements about the premise of the show that I let slide because I want to be entertained. It's part of the "agreement" that any viewer has with the writers of a tv series or movie. I accept that it's unrealistic that a serial killer could work right under the nose of a homicide department. I get that he takes ridiculous risks that would more than likely result in him getting caught, but I don't mind it because it's done for dramatic effect. That doesn't mean the writers can abuse that trust. In my opinion, they went against the very nature of the characters that have been fairly consistent up until about the end of season 6. Character development is one thing, but inexplicable changes in outlook and behaviour are quite different. I'm not just going to blindly accept all writing choices.