Mumford and Sons - Babel

M!ke

Being that the album just leaked, I thought we should have a thread discussing what we think of it.

I'm only a song into it (title track Babel), and I'm already hooked, plus I know that at least two other songs (I Will Wait and Lover's Eyes) will be amazing.  And being the deluxe edition, I can't wait to hear their collaboration/cover of The Boxer with Paul Simon, god damn this album is gonna be great I can tell.

Listened and loved it. Didn't really think any tracks were meh or forgettable. This band has such a presence on each of their songs. I could listen to both their albums beginning to end no problem. Brilliant work, glad there's musicians out there making some great music nowadays.

I think Sigh No More has less replayability overall for me than this album.  When I say meh, I guess I mean for these guys: meh.  Not every track can be a Little Lion Man song, but even their worst songs are still fantastic.  You're right though, this album is through and through fantastic. 

I know how reductive it is to post in a thread for a band you don't like, but I thought I should because this band for some reason really annoys me.

They might be the worst band currently active. I'm serious. I can't fathom why people could be into this band. It's like goo goo dolls with banjos or something. It's music for people who think The Avett Brothers are too hardcore. They're the Stone Temple Pilots to Fleet Foxes' Pearl Jam. Even for playing folk music, I can't imagine a more limp dick band. When I first heard this band, I thought Rascal Flatts changed their name and grew British accents.

just ugh.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/babel/mumford-sons/critic-reviews

Not that great actually...especially considering a lot of harder reviewers skipped the album entirely.

I never said it had critical praise, just that I'm not alone.  its got a higher score than Green Day's new album on metacritic and you're staunchly defending that album.  Some reviews liked it, some didn't, some thought it was meh, just like with Uno!  Everyone has an opinion, you should really understand that by now.

Oh, I understand.

I never said anything about Green Day's new album (as I haven't heard it). Where'd you get that? In fact, the only comment I've said was that I thought all the songs so far are terrible and have zero appeal to me. Also, you said reviews, and the reviews are pretty middling. Reviews from fans aren't worth reading as they tend you be, you know, biased. Just a smidge. So why even mention it if you didn't mean critical reviews?

Oh, I understand.

I never said anything about Green Day's new album (as I haven't heard it). Where'd you get that? In fact, the only comment I've said was that I thought all the songs so far are terrible and have zero appeal to me. Also, you said reviews, and the reviews are pretty middling. Reviews from fans aren't worth reading as they tend you be, you know, biased. Just a smidge. So why even mention it if you didn't mean critical reviews?

lol any review is biased.  User reviews are just as important as "professional" reviews.  Because people that like it, like it and people that don't like it, don't like it.  And even the reviews that thought it was meh, often find a few tracks that are incredible to them.  And the last thing I said was I like these 4 tracks a lot, and then Sasha's like "someone has to like them," and I could just as easily find 1000s of people that like those songs on youtube, and 1000s that don't like them on youtube.  I honestly don't know why this is an issue.  its opinion, everybody has one, and my opinion is shared by many people, just as my opinion isn't shared by many people.  This is so stupid.

And yeah, actually i was referencing critical reviews, they range from bad to great.