Video Games Thread

dildo69er

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

righttttttt.

I'm just joshin'. But yeah, I know how it can be. Some games will never make it over due to licensing (TMNT and Simpson Arcade being the few exceptions, momentarily aren't available after being ported to the digital stores) and I wish it wasn't absolutely necessary for certain games. But if you do like it, please pay for BMZ as it's a current remake and I hope there are more of them. As great as it is for the 3DS, I loved playing it on the big screen.

See that's the thing, especially with multiplatform titles like that.  If I really do get into it, I'm probably going to want it on the big screen if I can (I do have a means of making this happen with a hacked 3DS though mind you, theres a homebrew app that can stream your 3DS (the New models only at this time) screens to your computer or even an Xbox One.  My computer has an HDMI cable connected to my TV, so I do have the capability of playing my 3DS titles on the TV, though honestly I don't do that much, as when it comes to the 3DS I prefer it to be the handheld it was designed to be).  So if I really do get invested in the game I will end up buying the Switch version, we'll see.

But I do think its a safe thing to say that most all of here have "stolen" digital media at some point.  I mean is streaming without paying for a service, stealing?   Cuz I do that often when it comes to music, movies and tv shows.  Its kinda hard not to when its all so readily available to do online.  But I do want to support the struggling indie artists/developers, so i try to when I can.  

• 4 weeks later...

I almost wanna bet money that Anthem will be terrible. it's very pretty, looks super cool, but the logistics of how it would work don't add up. Apart from that, I have zero interest in basically any of these games so far. 

18 minutes ago, Nasa said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Pokken DX for the switch or Pokémon ultra sun ultra moon for the 3DS!

I'm down for some Pokken DX as I never got it for the WII U.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

I'm down for some Pokken DX as I never got it for the WII U.

Yeah I may pick it up.  Its pretty fun from what I've played of the Wii U version, though I don't own it.  I look forward to Sony and Nintendo's presentations today and tomorrow.  Was pretty underwhelmed overall by Microsoft though to be honest.

20 hours ago, Buddy Holly said:

uhhhh, new XCOM2 Expansion. looking cool

and now a Mario "X-Com" for the Switch lol

That looked way better than I thought it would, considering I was never a fan of the Rabbids at all.  Tactical RPGs are great, and its fun to see Mario give the genre a go (what genre hasn't he given a go at this point?).

Thought Spiderman looks fantastic.  Overall thought Sony's showing was pretty strong, they've got some good stuff in the works.  Can't wait to see what Nintendo has to show off today.

Nintendo actually surprised me with all the great games they showed off and announced.  Rocket League was one of the few 3rd party titles I was really hoping would come to the Switch, I'm sooo happy to see it actually is.  Then of course Metroid Prime 4 and the announcement of a core Pokemon game coming to the Switch were both things I had been hoping for but had started to worry may not actually come, so great to see they are.  New Kirby looks like a blast, and then there is Mario Odyssey, which can not come soon enough.  

• Like 1

Pokémon was bound to come to the Switch eventually! They just told us now, six months after the release of the latest main series game, to appease fans who were pissed about no new main series Pokémon game for the Switch being announced in the Nintendo Direct.

4 minutes ago, Nasa said:

Pokémon was bound to come to the Switch eventually! They just told us now, six months after the release of the latest main series game, to appease fans who were pissed about no new main series Pokémon game for the Switch being announced in the Nintendo Direct.

Yeah, but it sounds like it will be done by late 2018/early 2019.  I'm not so sure it will be gen 8 proper, but might instead be some sort of game that spans multiple regions we've visited before or maybe be an mmorpg, or even a new region but with no brand new pokemon or some sort of combination of these ideas, they were a bit vague with the description, and I think that was on purpose.  

9 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Yeah, but it sounds like it will be done by late 2018/early 2019.  I'm not so sure it will be gen 8 proper, but might instead be some sort of game that spans multiple regions we've visited before or maybe be an mmorpg, or even a new region but with no brand new pokemon or some sort of combination of these ideas, they were a bit vague with the description, and I think that was on purpose.  

Late 2018 seems too early. They still have to do DPP remakes, which will probably stay on the 3DS, since they have never started off a main series game on a new system with a remake. So I'm betting on 2019 or 2020. 

I think it will be Gen 8. That's consistent with their history and there is nothing to suggest otherwise. Pokémon have always been cautious when it comes to shaking up the system, which they do rarely and in small amounts. I would like them to surprise me though!

I think they were vague because there's probably not much there yet, traditional main series game or not. But all of that stuff you mentioned would be cool. With the Switch being a home console hosting a main series Pokémon game for the first time, there's a lot of potential for new developments and ideas.

1 hour ago, Nasa said:

Late 2018 seems too early. They still have to do DPP remakes, which will probably stay on the 3DS, since they have never started off a main series game on a new system with a remake. So I'm betting on 2019 or 2020. 

I think it will be Gen 8. That's consistent with their history and there is nothing to suggest otherwise. Pokémon have always been cautious when it comes to shaking up the system, which they do rarely and in small amounts. I would like them to surprise me though!

I think they were vague because there's probably not much there yet, traditional main series game or not. But all of that stuff you mentioned would be cool. With the Switch being a home console hosting a main series Pokémon game for the first time, there's a lot of potential for new developments and ideas.

They don't "still have to do DPP remakes"  There was a generation between the remakes of gen 2 and gen 3.  Heart Gold and Soul Silver were released after DPP, Gen 5 weren't followed up by remakes but rather sequel titles in Black 2 and White 2 (perhaps a bit similar to what we're seeing with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon) and then Gen 6 was followed by the remakes of Gen 3 but no sequel/third entry.  

Beyond that, Sun and Moon were first announced in the begining of 2016, with absolutely no footage to show but a few concept images and that was it.  Yet less than a year later they released worldwide.  They've clearly gotten the Pokemon series on a much faster development schedule than they used to be (probably because they have much larger teams working on the games at this point).  

Again though, I don't think remakes are going to come until after gen 8 at this point, and I'm not even sure that gen 4 are next in line for remakes at this point.  Note that Gen 1's remakes are only up to par with the original Gen 3 titles, making them the most outdated games in the franchise, as weird as it is, they might actually do another set of remakes of Gen 1 before remaking Gen 4.  Though I think they're only doing the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon titles first and whatever the Switch game will be, could be Gen 8, but again I'm not so sure, I could see it being a bigger game encompassing many regions or something like that.

As such I think late 2018/early 2019 is completely reasonable.