Video Games Thread

dildo69er

Almost done playing through Bastion, absolutely love this game. The soundtrack alone is worth the purchase (it was on sale for $3), but damn the gameplay is deceptively deep. The more you play the game, the more depth you realize it has. Probably my favourite indie game of all time, or at least tied with Inside. 

On top of Dead Cells, Bastion, and Cuphead, I also just splurged and got Subnautica, Dark Souls: Remastered, and SW Battlefront 2. Hoping Battlefront 2 has improved since the release when the entire internet took a steamy dump on it. 

Started up Dead Cells and have put a few hours into it now. It does a lot of great things, but there are quite a few issues with it as well. The difficulty curve is a bit out of wack, as my first hour or two I would only make it to the third or fourth level and then die. Now I'm on a play through where I found two rare (yellow) and overpowered weapons, and I'm on the sixth level and the game has become exponentially easier. I realize I'm better with the gameplay and combat, but it's mainly due to getting lucky and finding good weapons and gear. Overall, I'm just not a fan of play-to-win games where you have a huge advantage in progressing based on how much time you've put into the game. Based on the cell system and unlocking more stuff, this seems to be the case. 

The soundtrack is also repetitive, they really need more variety than just that one song constantly playing. Also not a huge fan of the dialogue and comments your character makes, they seem uninspired and forced most of the time.

I really enjoy the fluidity of the combat, the amount of customization in your weapons and gear, and the little tweaks the game throws at you (mini bosses, cursed treasure chests, etc.). The art style is also some of the best pixel art I've played. Overall I really enjoy the game and am excited to finish it, but it's far from perfect

Also fired up Dark Souls: Remastered the other day. Just defeated the Gargoyles and the game is just as awesome as I remember. It's crazy that, what would have taken me like 5-10 hours when first playing, took me like 2 hours because of how much better I am at the game having played the original when it was released as well as Dark Souls 3 recently.  

4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Not yet! Can't wait to play it since it's basically the only FF game I ever heard anyone talk about for my entire life. I was always a Nintendo guy so I never got to play a lot of classic Playstation games like that one.

You're in for a treat, easily in my top 5 games ever. Let us know how you find it when you get onto it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I remember not liking FF7 at the time but I’m also not totally into JRPGs

I wasn't into them either for the longest time, until I played FF6 on my SNES Classic a year ago, and now I'm hooked.

5 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

You're in for a treat, easily in my top 5 games ever. Let us know how you find it when you get onto it.

Will do! Probably won't be for a while but I'm really excited to finally play it!

44 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

I know there's a bunch of star wars nerds in here, did anyone ever play this game?

450?cb=20080427034139

Legit tied as best SW game for me. (4 way tie: Battlefront, Jedi Outcast, Shadows of empire, this).

Movies suck but great games.

I think I played the demo on PC and had a lot of fun with it, but looking it up on google shows that critics panned it lol.

Your list is missing some of the greats like Republic Commando, KOTOR 1 and 2, Rogue Squadron, Empire at War, Galaxies, and even Pod Racer. 

9 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I think I played the demo on PC and had a lot of fun with it, but looking it up on google shows that critics panned it lol.

That's why it's underrated, hidden gem. Notice 93% users liked it, but critics give it crap. The multiplayer was top notch

9 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Your list is missing some of the greats like Republic Commando, KOTOR 1 and 2, Rogue Squadron, Empire at War, Galaxies, and even Pod Racer

Only played the bold. Kotor is the opposite end of spectrum, what I'd call overrated by the community. It's a good game just not great to me.  Rogue Squadron could go in there, that one was great. Pod was solid

17 hours ago, NJansaid said:

I know there's a bunch of star wars nerds in here, did anyone ever play this game?

450?cb=20080427034139

Legit tied as best SW game for me. (4 way tie: Battlefront, Jedi Outcast, Shadows of empire, this).

Movies suck but great games.

That game was awesome!  I couldn't get past the first naboo level when I was a little kid lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alan Rickman said:

There was an episode 1 game for playstation that was surprisingly good. The lightsaber deflection was pretty cool. I never beat it though. 

That game is awesome as well, the tatooine level was kinda open world and you had to trade pod racer parts around as Qui Gon to get Anakin's podracer ready, it was pretty tough to figure out the right trades.