Video Games Thread

dildo69er

22 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Reportedly Rare Replay is coming to Switch along with a bunch of Xbox games. hmmmmmm

Rare Replay is just a rumor at this point, but Ori seems to be confirmed to be coming, Cuphead may as well, and it sounds like the Xbox streaming Xcloud service coupled with the Gamepass will bring Xbox game streaming for the more intensive games like Halo 5 to the Switch as well. If true, this is a very interesting development for gaming in general. 

Finally completed Red Dead 2 - what a masterpiece, now onto Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I'm a big fan of the TR reboot but this one seems like a bit of a lazy rehash of the previous games and when compared to what I've just experienced playing RDR2 it's coming up a bit short...I'll almost certainly play it through until the end though.

4 hours ago, M!ke said:

Rare Replay is just a rumor at this point, but Ori seems to be confirmed to be coming, Cuphead may as well, and it sounds like the Xbox streaming Xcloud service coupled with the Gamepass will bring Xbox game streaming for the more intensive games like Halo 5 to the Switch as well. If true, this is a very interesting development for gaming in general. 

Google is also currently working on a streaming service for playing games. Looks like consoles could be redundant eventually.

1 hour ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Google is also currently working on a streaming service for playing games. Looks like consoles could be redundant eventually.

I wouldn't say necessarily redundant.  Game streaming will certainly be viable, but there will always be reasons to want to own actual games you can play for situations where you find yourself unable to connect to the internet.  Beyond that, I think the Switch especially makes a compelling argument to continue to exist as a system.  Sure in the future we could in theory stream our games directly through our smart TVs, but the nature of the Switch may allow it to continue to have a life as we get into that atmosphere, being able to play our games comfortably on the go and then instantly be playing the same thing on TV will always have an appeal, and the Switch is certainly capable to adapt to this new kind of way of gaming, Xbox game streaming may indeed come to the system, but any other kind of game streaming app could in theory also be viable on the system. 

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

I wouldn't say necessarily redundant.  Game streaming will certainly be viable, but there will always be reasons to want to own actual games you can play for situations where you find yourself unable to connect to the internet.  Beyond that, I think the Switch especially makes a compelling argument to continue to exist as a system.  Sure in the future we could in theory stream our games directly through our smart TVs, but the nature of the Switch may allow it to continue to have a life as we get into that atmosphere, being able to play our games comfortably on the go and then instantly be playing the same thing on TV will always have an appeal, and the Switch is certainly capable to adapt to this new kind of way of gaming, Xbox game streaming may indeed come to the system, but any other kind of game streaming app could in theory also be viable on the system. 

I take the view that consoles will be redundant in the same sense as cable once Netflix came around. Huge hit to cable subscribers and the numbers have only declined over time. You'll get the purists and gaming enthusiasts that need a console, but the mainstream crowd and poor people will say fuck it and just do streaming as opposed to spending ~$500-1,000 on gaming hardware. 

4 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I consume games very differently than I do movies or music, so I am not so interesting in it. I guess I'd rather just buy the game and have it. No need to worry about it leaving or whatever.

Yeah - if it's like Netflix where they lose the licence after a set period of time, I agree, that would suck. I imagine it will be more like EA Origin where you have access to all of their games for any set period of time.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:23 PM, knapton said:

apex legends anyone? Its pretty fun

I started playing it a lot over the last week. It took me a few days to really understand the guns and gameplay mechanics. I'm about level 20 now and have 4 wins. I sucked for the first 3-4 days of playing though, only recently got good at it once I discovered which guns work the best in certain situations. I'm all about the Hemlock and Peacekeeper. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Yeah - if it's like Netflix where they lose the licence after a set period of time, I agree, that would suck. I imagine it will be more like EA Origin where you have access to all of their games for any set period of time.

I started playing it a lot over the last week. It took me a few days to really understand the guns and gameplay mechanics. I'm about level 20 now and have 4 wins. I sucked for the first 3-4 days of playing though, only recently got good at it once I discovered which guns work the best in certain situations. I'm all about the Hemlock and Peacekeeper. 

it definitley has a bit of a learning curve.  Ive been playing it nonstop since it came out and I still love it.  Fav gun is the r301. Thing rips

• Like 1

Just now, Margie Whipple's Rage said:

Are they all basically the same game? Find pokemon and fight them?

Pretty much, yeah.  In every gen (except 7) your goal is to collect 8 gym badges by building up a team of strong Pokemon and defeating other teams of strong Pokemon, and then going on to the Pokemon league where you take on very strong teams of Pokemon.  Typically there is a fair amount of post game content, with gen 2 having essentially the first games built into it as a whole second quest to complete after your main quest.  Then there are all sorts of goals you can make for yourself such as trying to catch every Pokemon, but with this game the number of monsters should near 900, so that goal becomes more and more insane as they release more titles.  And then of course fighting and trading with friends and others online is a lot of fun in it's own right.  There are all sorts of different typed Pokemon and typed moves that are strong against certain things and weak against others, so there is a large game of rock-paper-scissors going on but with far more than just 3 variables.  It all can be very addicting and there is a lot that can be studied if you really immerse yourself in the series.  Yeah, the overall idea of the series doesn't change much from game to game, but that's because the formula overall just works so well.