Video Games Thread

dildo69er

19 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

I’ve always got time for Pokemon. Hopefully these games have pro controller support. I didn’t play let’s go docked at all because of having to fling the joy con to catch.

I'm pretty sure they will.  Let's Go was considered a casual spinoff title, this will be a full fledged core game in gen 8.

54 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I'm pretty sure they will.  Let's Go was considered a casual spinoff title, this will be a full fledged core game in gen 8.

By who? Masuda said the opposite “These games aren’t spin-offs. These are core Pokemon titles.” 

On 2/27/2019 at 6:40 AM, Ghent said:

I finally beat Super Mario 3 over the weekend. Not sure I could have ever done it without the spot save on the Classic.

I'm actually surprised I got as far as I did as a kid without it.

I've never actually beaten it either. I've made it about 2/3 through the last world with all the battle ships, but even then that was with warp flutes. 

Have you seen this?

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Yeah, Mario 3 is fairly easy.  I probably first beat it when I was like 10 on the actual NES hardware.

Lol wut. Compared to pretty much every other Mario game, it's difficult (especially without the warp flutes). I personally think it's the most difficult Mario game I've played, although I haven't played Sunshine or Odyssey. The next closest in difficulty would be Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Mario Land on Gameboy, but I was able to beat both of those and not beat Mario 3. 

Yeah Super Mario on SNES is like child's play compared to some of the later levels in Super Mario 3. And a couple of the fortresses are almost Zelda-like with the door mazes. Without being able to save, without warping, and without the existence of YouTube walkthroughs, the game is pretty damn hard.

17 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Lol wut. Compared to pretty much every other Mario game, it's difficult (especially without the warp flutes). I personally think it's the most difficult Mario game I've played, although I haven't played Sunshine or Odyssey. The next closest in difficulty would be Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Mario Land on Gameboy, but I was able to beat both of those and not beat Mario 3. 

Ever play the real Mario 2? It is hard as balls

That's how the original NES Zelda is in my opinion. You would have to spend years messing around to beat that without help. Completely arbitrary puzzles. Like oh, to beat the game you have to accidentally find this hidden entrance in the middle of the map with no clues whatsoever. So fun!

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

That's how the original NES Zelda is in my opinion. You would have to spend years messing around to beat that without help. Completely arbitrary puzzles. Like oh, to beat the game you have to accidentally find this hidden entrance in the middle of the map with no clues whatsoever. So fun!

It's literally impossible to beat without a map. Unless you think placing bombs on every square inch is fair.

1 hour ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Nah, it was tough at first, but I mean in terms of 2D platformers, it is far from the toughest of games I've beaten in the same genre, plus it was literally the first video game I ever got into as a child so I got good at it at a young age.  Overall I put the entire 2D Mario platforming series more on the easy side (with exception to the original Mario 2, The Lost Levels), not as easy as the Kirby series of course, but still more in that direction of difficulty.  Of course the Super Mario Maker games are something completely different considering the difficulty of those levels falls entirely on our hands.

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

By who? Masuda said the opposite “These games aren’t spin-offs. These are core Pokemon titles.” 

He said that about the Let's Go titles?  That doesn't sound right, considering they were remakes to begin with, coupled with mechanics not seen in any of the other games including these new ones such as not even battling wild pokemon, not to mention being restricted to 153 Pokemon and not having access to the entire Pokedex as of that time like every other single core entry.  I understand these new titles Sword and Shield are obviously core titles, but Let's Go are there own things, you can already see that the things that made those games unique are not carrying over to this game (such as wild Pokemon appearing in the overworld and not actually fighting those wild pokemon, likely connectivity with Go wont be a part of these core entries either), so that really cements the thought that they're their own thing all the more.

Reading what Masuda says, it sounds like he's more just saying, this isn't necessarily a one and done thing.  Which I absolutely think is true.  I think the Let's Go Series will continue as it's own tier for the series (in addition to the tiers they already have: new core entries, remakes, and third entries/remakes/ultra), and we'll see some Let's Go Johto games in a few years.  But I wouldn't expect the Let's Go games to have any real interaction with the main core titles in terms of battling or trading.  As such I think it makes sense to consider them their own spinoff series.

13 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Nah, it was tough at first, but I mean in terms of 2D platformers, it is far from the toughest of games I've beaten in the same genre, plus it was literally the first video game I ever got into as a child so I got good at it at a young age.  Overall I put the entire 2D Mario platforming series more on the easy side (with exception to the original Mario 2, The Lost Levels), not as easy as the Kirby series of course, but still more in that direction of difficulty.  Of course the Super Mario Maker games are something completely different considering the difficulty of those levels falls entirely on our hands.

You ever played Chuck Rock? I beat that a couple months ago. Pretty sure it would be impossible to beat without saving. I feel like one of the bosses even required a glitch type technique to beat. Love that game

Just now, Ghent said:

You ever played Chuck Rock? I beat that a couple months ago. Pretty sure it would be impossible to beat without saving. I feel like one of the bosses even required a glitch type technique to beat. Love that game

Nah I haven't.  I avoided most early platformers that weren't well regarded.  I remember the original Bubsy being super lame though.  I don't think I ever beat that one, though I'm pretty sure I beat Bubsy 2 on the Genesis back in the day, I recall that one being a little easier.