Video Games Thread

dildo69er

2 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Where you at? I've just got to Cosmo Canyon and am chilling with this legend:

latest?cb=20120103153558

Both my Grandads died before I was born, this is the closest I have to one I think...

I just brought him the four Huge Materia and then he joined me on my airship! That's where I saved and stopped.

I beat FF7 for my first time the other night! Super fun! I don't know if I'd consider it my favorite Final Fantasy, but it was definitely a great time and something I'd love to revisit again someday. I think FF6 might still be my favorite. I've played the first seven games now. Not super interested in 8 but I kind of want to give it a try just because I've played everything else mostly in order so far (I played 6 first, then I played 1-5, then 7). 9 looks a lot more interesting to me than 8 does.

5 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I beat FF7 for my first time the other night! Super fun! I don't know if I'd consider it my favorite Final Fantasy, but it was definitely a great time and something I'd love to revisit again someday. I think FF6 might still be my favorite. I've played the first seven games now. Not super interested in 8 but I kind of want to give it a try just because I've played everything else mostly in order so far (I played 6 first, then I played 1-5, then 7). 9 looks a lot more interesting to me than 8 does.

IX is clearly better than VIII, but VIII has its fans. In VIII you have this kinda convoluted "junction" system; it's not that bad once you get a hang of it, but it's so clearly inferior to the Materia system of VII. Moreover, you have to waste a shit-ton of time on "drawing" magic from enemies (you don't have mana as such for casting spells). The story is also a bit of a mess (with some really lame twists), as is the world; you've got everything from medieval-looking villages to super furistic cities. Squall, the protagonist, is also an annoying emo-rat.

IX is really charming with a great story and world. Only the combat system is quite boring and not very engaging. Also, if you have a choice between the PC and some console version, go for the PC version because then you can play it with the Moguri mod which adds high-resolution backgrounds to the game. The difference is pretty astounding: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/1JEMNNNU 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MSandt said:

IX is clearly better than VIII, but VIII has its fans. In VIII you have this kinda convoluted "junction" system; it's not that bad once you get a hang of it, but it's so clearly inferior to the Materia system of VII. Moreover, you have to waste a shit-ton of time on "drawing" magic from enemies (you don't have mana as such for casting spells). The story is also a bit of a mess (with some really lame twists), as is the world; you've got everything from medieval-looking villages to super furistic cities. Squall, the protagonist, is also an annoying emo-rat.

IX is really charming with a great story and world. Only the combat system is quite boring and not very engaging. Also, if you have a choice between the PC and some console version, go for the PC version because then you can play it with the Moguri mod which adds high-resolution backgrounds to the game. The difference is pretty astounding: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/1JEMNNNU 

I just bought 8 on Steam, I'll give it a shot at least!

The new Star Wars game looks pretty cool. When it comes to Star Wars games I'm one of those weird people who's in it more for the story than anything else, which is why I like games like The Force Unleashed so much, even if gameplay-wise they aren't that good. This one seems like it'll be an interesting story! A padawan who survived Order 66 and then apparently meets and fights with Saw Gerrera. Cool, I'm in!

The new Zelda trailer got me excited to play BOTW again so that’s what I’ve been doing. My last playthrough I did a ‘no fast travel’ game where you had to travel everywhere either on foot or by horse. You could never use the sheikah slate to travel anywhere. Made it a really fun playthrough so that’s what I’m doing this time as well. Just got to Zora’s Domain so I should be taking down the first beast tonight. 

I played Cadence of Hyrule for a little bit today. I assumed because of my music background and good sense of rhythm that a game like this would be easy for me but LOL NOPE I really really suck at it. I need to get used to it but it seems like it would be really fun once I get the hang of it. The music is great.

Doing things to the beat of the music isn't hard but I'm having a hard time recognizing all the enemy fight patterns and not getting killed all the time. I'm also heavily sleep-deprived at the moment due to my insomnia so I'm sure that's making it harder than it really is.

EDIT: I've played it some more now and it's actually super fun now that I'm getting the hang of it. What a good Zelda spin-off. I'm glad Nintendo was willing to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Super Mario maker 2 is fun as fuck. Mainly been playing the story mode so far but enjoying it.

I've become addicted to watching people play Mario Maker on YouTube and been looking forward to this release just for the new videos. I don't ever play video games anymore, I just watch people play them now. I don't know why.

9 minutes ago, Harvey Klinger's Heartache said:

I've become addicted to watching people play Mario Maker on YouTube and been looking forward to this release just for the new videos. I don't ever play video games anymore, I just watch people play them now. I don't know why.

I just can’t get into watching people play video games. It just does not make sense to me. I’d so much rather just play the game.

Just now, Russel Coight said:

I just can’t get into watching people play video games. It just does not make sense to me. I’d so much rather just play the game.

Yeah, it's an odd thing for me to be into ... I don't understand it either, my friend.

12 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

I only watch people play through games that I don't have the time for.  La Mulana for example, it's a super intricate metroidvania with tons of puzzles that require a lot of attention to details. Unfortunately I work a very busy and tiring job and also have a wife and kid so I don't have enough free time to dedicate to the game of that magnitude. I watched a play though of it by someone who edits out a lot of the times they're banging their head against the wall on the puzzles and he's pretty funny as well. It's nice to relax with instead of a tv show sometimes when I unwind at night.

I still play plenty of games, just ones that I am either familiar with or don't take a significant amount of time to enjoy fully.

Now twitch? I don't really get that either. I'll check out some stuff occasionally, but it's just so boring unedited.